Turisas cancels ProgPower USA appearance

I don't think I'm being rude. I didn't use vulgar language and I didn't insult anyone who's on the forum. I merely gave my assessment of a band. As I said, it's a discussion forum. It's suppose to be fun, light-hearted, etc. We should be able to joke around and poke fun of things we think are silly. For instance, I'm a huge Manowar fan. However, when people make Manowar jokes, I don't get upset by it. It's just good-natured fun.

Sounds like a plan. Cheers.

Dont forget the singer for Priordial also wears face paint.....and they are a fave of yours too.

I agree....why do people get so worked up on a discussion forum over not agreeing with the majority???? isnt that what forums are for?

Dont forget the singer for Priordial also wears face paint.....and they are a fave of yours too.
Very true... and a number of the Black Metal bands I enjoy have over the top images as well. And if people wanted to make fun of any of them for it, it wouldn't matter to me.

Just to clarify, I don't really care if a band wants to construct an outlandish image. However, if the image is more powerful than the music, than you're going to be viewed as a gimmick band. Again, this is only my opinion.

I agree....why do people get so worked up on a discussion forum over not agreeing with the majority???? isnt that what forums are for?
Agreed. Perhaps it's the family I was raised in. We could argue passionately for hours, but there was never any malice. It was never personal. It was just a discussion.

Very true... and a number of the Black Metal bands I enjoy have over the top images as well. And if people wanted to make fun of any of them for it, it wouldn't matter to me.

Just to clarify, I don't really care if a band wants to construct an outlandish image. However, if the image is more powerful than the music, than you're going to be viewed as a gimmick band. Again, this is only my opinion.

Agreed. Perhaps it's the family I was raised in. We could argue passionately for hours, but there was never any malice. It was never personal. It was just a discussion.

Same here....we were always an arguementive family. I agree. When your outfits and look is more important than your music...aka Gwar, that is when you have become a gimmick. Also Swashbuckle can fit into this catagory.

However, if the image is more powerful than the music, than you're going to be viewed as a gimmick band.

This is the primary reason why I EXTREMELY loathe SLIPKNOT.

I will never understand how select true metalheads consider this a valid band.

It's music for the impressionable youth who buy in to the image.
Nothing more.

At least with a band like TURISAS, the image is a direct link to their heritage.

Where is that one guy from that Viking metal band from Atlanta?
That thread was a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the primary reason why I EXTREMELY loathe SLIPKNOT.

I will never understand how select true metalheads consider this a valid band.

It's music for the impressionable youth who buy in to the image.
Nothing more.

At least with a band like TURISAS, the image is a direct link to their heritage.

Where is that one guy from that Viking metal band from Atlanta?
That thread was a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. I've never understood Slipknot's appeal. At times just in passing, I liked some of their percussion, but I could never take the music. The fact that they make it a big deal before every album when their masks/costumes change is a big problem with me.

I don't think I'm being rude. I didn't use vulgar language and I didn't insult anyone who's on the forum. I merely gave my assessment of a band. As I said, it's a discussion forum. It's suppose to be fun, light-hearted, etc. We should be able to joke around and poke fun of things we think are silly. For instance, I'm a huge Manowar fan. However, when people make Manowar jokes, I don't get upset by it. It's just good-natured fun.

Sounds like a plan. Cheers.

(One more!)
Just sounded to me that you were serious. :p
Cheers

When your outfits and look is more important than your music...aka Gwar, that is when you have become a gimmick. Also Swashbuckle can fit into this catagory.
Yeah... never cared for either.

This is the primary reason why I EXTREMELY loathe SLIPKNOT. I will never understand how select true metalheads consider this a valid band.
I've heard a song or two by them that were kind of catchy. But wherever I've tried to listen to entire disc I end up turning it off after a track or two.

(One more!)
Just sounded to me that you were serious. :p
Cheers
It's a safe bet to assume everything I say is somewhat sarcastic.

Na, he's just a master debater with some actual knowledge to back himself up. You'll get used to him. :D
LOL.

First off, not from a financial standpoint, but (as has been addressed here a time or two) why are there so many opinions from armchair quarterbacks who have in reality no intention of actually supporting PP by attending? I have seen attendance decline just like many have... and it gets me fired up. Why would any true metal fan not be at this fest? Reason is alot of "true metal fans" are really just posers trying to fit in with the truely metal crowd. To the posers I say, whine in 10 years when PP is a distant memory, or get off your ass, shut the fuck up for once, and actually support the show by ATTENDING. You WILL enjoy yourself, and you WILL discover bands you didn't even know you liked. Jesus I am so fucking fed up with all the opinions and bullshit.

Having said all that (and probably alienated many), Turisis' management is forgetting one important rule in this business... you have to be careful who you screw over in this line of work, since those you fuck over on the way up, will be the same people you run into on the way down. Happens every time.

First off, not from a financial standpoint, but (as has been addressed here a time or two) why are there so many opinions from armchair quarterbacks who have in reality no intention of actually supporting PP by attending? I have seen attendance decline just like many have... and it gets me fired up. Why would any true metal fan not be at this fest? Reason is alot of "true metal fans" are really just posers trying to fit in with the truely metal crowd. To the posers I say, whine in 10 years when PP is a distant memory, or get off your ass, shut the fuck up for once, and actually support the show by ATTENDING. You WILL enjoy yourself, and you WILL discover bands you didn't even know you liked. Jesus I am so fucking fed up with all the opinions and bullshit.

Having said all that (and probably alienated many), Turisis' management is forgetting one important rule in this business... you have to be careful who you screw over in this line of work, since those you fuck over on the way up, will be the same people you run into on the way down. Happens every time.

really???? I am not a "true metal fan" because I have not gone to the fest? Wow...I guess going to shows for over 20 years means nothing other than I am trying to fit in. How old are you because you sound like some 16 year old kid and I dont even mean to knock 16 year olds because I know some who dont whine as much as in this post. For me not going to the fest....reason 1. I am not much of a traveler. It takes a lot to get me to go anywhere. Reason 2. Living in a larger city gets all the tours and lots of oddball shows, so I am able to see many shows while maybe someone who lives in a area where not many tours hit...they are able to see lots of great bands in a weekend by going to the fest. Will it change....who knows. If next year had some bands I was really into and have not seen yet. It would be a possiblity or if my concert buddy Jasonic went...I would have no problem going. There are other factors in my life that have caused me not to go. To say that people are not true metal fans because they havent gone is sad. If everyone who has gone to the fest are "true fans" how come most have no clue who bands are when they get booked??? Wouldnt a "true fan" know all the bands and stuff???? Oh well....I could go on and on but I am tired and I need to go and watch Svetlana (one of the funniest shows on tv at the moment)

While I agree to a certain extent with sentiment Ned expressed (that people should go just to go), I don't agree that it makes someone less of a fan, or less of a supporter of the scene, because they haven't been. First off, not everyone can afford it. Second, even if people can afford it, they may have other commitments; family, work, etc. Ultimately, I feel that people spend too much time worrying about the line up. Granted, I too would prefer more bands I like get booked each year. However, I go just to go. I've been to all but the first one, and have had an absolute blast every single year. You really can't appreciate just how cool this festival is, until you've been. It truly has a unique vibe. And the real shame of it is, there's a whole lot of folks out there, that if they simply took that leap one year, would be back every year. I think this is born out by how many non-Metal-spouses come, just to be a good spouse, and then insist on coming back every single year, because they love the environment.

And as someone else pointed out, just because you don't like a band on disc, doesn't mean that you won't enjoy their live performance.

While I agree to a certain extent with sentiment Ned expressed (that people should go just to go), I don't agree that it makes someone less of a fan, or less of a supporter of the scene, because they haven't been. First off, not everyone can afford it. Second, even if people can afford it, they may have other commitments; family, work, etc. Ultimately, I feel that people spend too much time worrying about the line up. Granted, I too would prefer more bands I like get booked each year. However, I go just to go. I've been to all but the first one, and have had an absolute blast every single year. You really can't appreciate just how cool this festival is, until you've been. It truly has a unique vibe. And the real shame of it is, there's a whole lot of folks out there, that if they simply took that leap one year, would be back every year. I think this is born out by how many non-Metal-spouses come, just to be a good spouse, and then insist on coming back every single year, because they love the environment.

And as someone else pointed out, just because you don't like a band on disc, doesn't mean that you won't enjoy their live performance.

This statement is the honest to God truth, you can't beat the enviroment of the fest, and you have the added perk of having awesome music. I wasn't able to attend until PPVI due to 1. Not knowing about the Festival until PPIV(3 days before the fest, but i was overseas on Business). 2. Work keep me from attending PPIV, PPV. I haven't missed one since.

I am sure the environment is great.
I get that vibe. Lots of passionate metal fans.
One of the main reasons I post here.

Isn't posting here as well as discussing Prog Power on other sites (IE - Metal Rules, Hellride, Facebook, etc) also promoting the fest? Isn't word of mouth worth something, since positive statements about the fest certainly help generate ticket sales?

I am sure the environment is great. I get that vibe. Lots of passionate metal fans. One of the main reasons I post here.
Agreed. The vibe typically extends to the forum.

Isn't posting here as well as discussing Prog Power on other sites (IE - Metal Rules, Hellride, Facebook, etc) also promoting the fest? Isn't word of mouth worth something, since positive statements about the fest certainly help generate ticket sales?
I'd say it is. I'd also say there's no need for you or Diabolik to even bother justifying it. I don't think anyone actually doubts your love for the genre and your support for the scene. That said... get your ass down here.

Dude, we would love to.
Britt and Pat have been trying for years to get us down.

Can't speak for Bob, but as I said, for me at my point in my life family will always come first.

Hell, Manilla Road played KC Metal Fest two years in a row and I didn't go. Omen just played Ohio a week ago.

Roadtripping for shows is a thing of the past.

Though as I said, even though I have never directly financially contributed to the fest, I do consider myself a "supporter" of the fest, and do chime in positively about it when discussed either in person or on other forums, etc.

This statement is the honest to God truth, you can't beat the enviroment of the fest, and you have the added perk of having awesome music. I wasn't able to attend until PPVI due to 1. Not knowing about the Festival until PPIV(3 days before the fest, but i was overseas on Business). 2. Work keep me from attending PPIV, PPV. I haven't missed one since.

Amen!

Agreed. The vibe typically extends to the forum.

I'd say it is. I'd also say there's no need for you or Diabolik to even bother justifying it. I don't think anyone actually doubts your love for the genre and your support for the scene. That said... get your ass down here.

Agree on this as well. I understand why to a certain extent why people get in fits when certain forum people don't go when they are a fan of the genre since they are passionate about the fest, but truthfully from what it seems like, both Diabolik and Jasonic talk up the fest at least somewhat. They are fans of a lot of the bands that play the fest. People have different commitments which has been said. Honestly, some (and I'm not naming names) are immature to think that everyone can just get up, plop some money for the fest and go to it. Truthfully, I shouldn't have even gone last year, but I enjoyed the first time (IX) so much I did whatever I could to go and probably will do the same this year (hopefully). It would be cool for you guys to come one year, but as Zod said, I don't think you guys need to explain yourself.

Nah, it's cool.
I can totally see where some fest regulars would get irritated when someone who has never attended the festival gives any sort of criticism or differing opinion from the norm.

Though think of it this way. The fest is trying to reach out to different crowds of people to stay afloat. Therefore, wouldn't you want to know the opinions of those who have not attended the festival? If the answer is truly no, then don't be upset if the fest were to go away due to decreasing sales.

I think many forget that the real world extends FAR beyond the forum! :)

I only get annoyed when people attack Glenn, as if their money is on the line. I question his choices all the time, but its not like it gets me upset like it seems for some people. Its not my money (other than my ticket purchase, which is optional, and I bought my ticket before Turisas was added). I'm annoyed that Turisas won't be there now as I know it would have been a good time to see them again. But really, I'm not going to spend more than a few minutes being annoyed because who really cares. Its just a festival.

And no matter what this is still the best festival out there for my tastes in metal. I'm just glad I live in Atlanta, as I'm too much of a cheap bastard when it comes to concerts to travel.

First off, sorry for the cursing in the orig post.

As for the message of it, I stand by what I said. And Diabolik, I am probably older than any of the attendees, have went to hundreds of metal shows since metal began, and realize (maybe I'm the only one? I doubt it) that people need to support these special events or they won't survive. How you can argue with that is beyond me, but then I wouldn't want to inconvenience someone into thinking they should support the event. Pardon me for making you uncomfortable :Smug:

Just from curiosity Diabolik, have you ever attended PP?

really???? I am not a "true metal fan" because I have not gone to the fest? Wow...I guess going to shows for over 20 years means nothing other than I am trying to fit in. How old are you because you sound like some 16 year old kid and I dont even mean to knock 16 year olds because I know some who dont whine as much as in this post. For me not going to the fest....reason 1. I am not much of a traveler. It takes a lot to get me to go anywhere. Reason 2. Living in a larger city gets all the tours and lots of oddball shows, so I am able to see many shows while maybe someone who lives in a area where not many tours hit...they are able to see lots of great bands in a weekend by going to the fest. Will it change....who knows. If next year had some bands I was really into and have not seen yet. It would be a possiblity or if my concert buddy Jasonic went...I would have no problem going. There are other factors in my life that have caused me not to go. To say that people are not true metal fans because they havent gone is sad. If everyone who has gone to the fest are "true fans" how come most have no clue who bands are when they get booked??? Wouldnt a "true fan" know all the bands and stuff???? Oh well....I could go on and on but I am tired and I need to go and watch Svetlana (one of the funniest shows on tv at the moment)

Zod you are much better at expressing thoughts than I am, granted, and I agree with most of what you said. I do realize everyone has a life beyond metal. We all do. That goes without saying, it is an obvious truth. But for all this whining about the lineup, and as you say it is a blast if they'd just attend, I don't think I'm that far off with saying true metal fans will attend. Should attend. At least once every 2 or 3 years. I don't have a lot of patience for someone who whines about the lineup, and never attends. For chrissakes it's a metal show, a good one, a unique one... and unless you want to move to Europe, it's the best way to see live metal in the states. Yes there are plenty of small metal festivals in the U.S. now, but this one is the real deal. And like you said Zod, attending PP will make a believer out of someone. So if they do not attend, I still say no, they are not supporting the event. You can cheer all you want for PP on this forum, and talk metal til the cows come home, but until you financially support the event by actually attending, you don't have a leg to stand on in my book. There's an insane amount of effort put out to assemble this event, from the promoter to his helpers to the venue to the bands to the vendors etc. etc. For all that intense effort, people should stop with the excuses and just buy a ticket. I do not think that's too much to ask. No excuses, just do it.