Which Band Do You Want/Need to Familiarize Yourself With More Before PP?

Aug 6, 2003
Sandy Eggo
Visit site
Looking at the calendar and realizing that PP is coming sooner than I thought, I made a playlist of many of the bands. Some of the bands I am so familiar with they really almost did not need to go into the playlist (Symphony X, Redemption, Serenity, Amaranthe, Solution.45). Yet there are other bands that I have enjoyed or have been curious about that I have completely familiarized myself with. Actually there are only two bands I have not sat down and listened to multiple song from; Primordial and Pretty Maids (aside from Future World back in the day). While it might be impossible to get to know every band well, are there any bands that you are going to be listening to a lot in the coming weeks to prime yourself for PP?

The bands I am going to concentrate on are Lanfear and Beyond the Bridge. I have heard and really enjoyed both of these bands but could really use some time to get to know the music better.

I actually only have the newest Lanfear, so I may pick up another album, any suggestions?

I've been picking up Epica albums to get familiar with the newest stuff. Unfortunately, I think the new album is very lackluster. I did just get "Design Your Universe" in the mail. I'll see how that one is.

I've been picking up Epica albums to get familiar with the newest stuff. Unfortunately, I think the new album is very lackluster. I did just get "Design Your Universe" in the mail. I'll see how that one is.

Every Epica album has its really strong moments. Try Consign to Oblivion as it's probably still my favorite alongside the new one.

Design Your Universe is probably the least accessible one if you ask me. Still very technical and complex. Great album.

Every Epica album has its really strong moments. Try Consign to Oblivion as it's probably still my favorite alongside the new one.

I had all the albums up through The Divine Conspiracy. And yes, Consign is pretty good, particularly the SACD. The surround track is awesome.

I had all the albums up through The Divine Conspiracy. And yes, Consign is pretty good, particularly the SACD. The surround track is awesome.

So out of curiosity, what is the new album missing in your opinion? I have to say, it's the first Epica disc that I get into it from the very first listen. I think it's super catchy and more accessible without losing the "technical" aspect. Delirium and Storm of Sorrow are such awesome tracks!!

So out of curiosity, what is the new album missing in your opinion? I have to say, it's the first Epica disc that I get into it from the very first listen. I think it's super catchy and more accessible without losing the "technical" aspect. Delirium and Storm of Sorrow are such awesome tracks!!

I don't know, but the problem for me is none of the songs really stand out for me. I've listened to it 2-3 times and I couldn't tell you much about the songs after I was done.

I have been an Epica fan from the first album. I noticed almost immediately that something was missing from 'Requiem for the Indifferent'. It is a good album, but lacks some of the depth of 'Consign to Oblivion' and 'The Divine Conspiracy' (my favorite Epica albums).

After listening to the amazing variety and complexity of Mayan - Quarterpast, my theory is perhaps Mark Jansen had used up most of his latest book of musical magic on Mayan and just did not have enough new ideas to fill an entire Epica album. I am not saying he neglected Epica - just that it takes time to come up enough new ideas for two albums. IMHO. - then again - maybe he just choose to take Epica in a different direction...

After listening to the amazing variety and complexity of Mayan - Quarterpast, my theory is perhaps Mark Jansen had used up most of his latest book of musical magic on Mayan and just did not have enough new ideas to fill an entire Epica album. I am not saying he neglected Epica - just that it takes time to come up enough new ideas for two albums. IMHO. - then again - maybe he just choose to take Epica in a different direction...

Having recently interviewed Mark twice (Mayan and Epica) for the ProgPower USA program (make sure to pick yours up at the festival), and being a close friend of his for years, I can tell you that this was definitely NOT the case. You'll understand it once you read that. :)

I have missed the boat completely on Redemption. Don't even know where to start but I might try to track down a recent setlist and see what I think.

I like to have a rough idea of what a band will play in advance. I feel more "into" the show rather than just getting hit with surprise after surprise - even for a good band. Glenn gave me hell once back stage because I kept asking Rob Rock what he was going to play. I just like to mentally prepare so I will be hitting up setlist.fm and some show reviews to see what these bands are playing recently and hope for a few special surprises to keep things interesting.

That said, I am pretty in the dark on Redemption, Primordial, Mayan, and Beyond the Bridge. Don't have the new Epica yet, but am pretty familiar with the back catalog. I doubt Pretty Maids, Amaranthe, Sinbreed, or Mystic Prophecy would stump me unless they debut some new songs. This line-up is one of my favorites since this festival began!!!!!

Having recently interviewed Mark twice (Mayan and Epica) for the ProgPower USA program (make sure to pick yours up at the festival), and being a close friend of his for years, I can tell you that this was definitely NOT the case. You'll understand it once you read that. :)

Name_Dropping.jpg

I think the last 3 Redemption discs are going to get fairly equal billing. No inside info here, just a hunch based upon what I see on the Redemption UM board. Start with Snowfall then flip a coin between Origins of Ruin and This Mortal Coil. I prefer Origins, but TMC may prepare you better for their set.

Since Nuno joined Lanfear, they've created two (almost equally) amazing albums, although the overall production is somewhat better on "This Harmonic Consonance". I highly recommend "X To The Power Of Ten", and expect them to play a bunch from both. While "The Art Effect" and "Another Golden Rage" (mad respect to Tobias) are quite awesome in their own right, the band's sound has been refined and more reflects Nuno's vocal style and lyrical subject matter. The 2 newest discs are representative of what Lanfear is today. Just an opinion :kickass:

I think the two that I SHOULD like more, but just haven't got yet...are Redemption and Primordial. Still looking forward to them blowing me away live, of course...but "This Mortal Coil" and "Redemption at the Puritan's Hand" still don't click with me.

I think the two that I SHOULD like more, but just haven't got yet...are Redemption and Primordial. Still looking forward to them blowing me away live, of course...but "This Mortal Coil" and "Redemption at the Puritan's Hand" still don't click with me.

RatPH is probably not the best starting point for Primordial at all. I dunno what your particular taste is like, but a lot of folks on this forum would do well to start with To the Nameless Dead. If you're into heavier stuff, check out A Journey's End.

I need to listen to more Mystic Prophecy.