Let's review previous statements...

Can the man not state his dissatisfaction with the line up without getting his head bitten off? I happen to disagree with him, but he's entitled to his opinion.

If it's not built on faulty logic and the inane supposition that his absence and that of five others could possibly qualify the lineup as weak, then yes.

I really don't understand all this whining. All I have to say is that last years PPVII line up was less than appealing to me. Honestly, I was not really looking forward to progpower as much as I had been in the past. However, on the 7 hour car trip home, my fellow progpower travelers and I all agreed that it was one of the best festivals ever. I was DEAD WRONG about Freak Kitchen. I thought their set would be a good time for a break to eat or whatever. But, my buddy Joel went to this show for one reason only, to see Matias and the Boys, so the rest of us stayed in the arena for the show to "pretend" to like them to support our buddy. I am thrilled to say there was NO "pretending" required! I am now a HUGE Freak Kitchen fan, as are all of us!! This goes for Mercenary, Zero Hour, and Vision Divine as well.
This year, so far, their has only been one band announced that I am unfamiliar with.(raintime) I must say that for me personally, this is a dream line up come true. Yes, even though the second headliner (Nocturnal Rites I am really hoping for) has yet to be announced. I have several friends who will be attending for the first time this year just because they are so blown away by this line up. This is in addition to our usual 8 man caravan from Kentucky. I think this show will sell out, and fairly quickly at that.
Troy

If it's not built on faulty logic and the inane supposition that his absence and that of five others could possibly qualify the lineup as weak, then yes.

Contrary to what you and many fellow forum members think, the views expressed in this forum do not necessarily reflect what the audience at large feels or believes. I have stated before "This board's enthusiasm and expectations are usually far higher than the general audience's." Therefore when someone who posts relatively infrequently makes a post contrary to the board's overall opinion, they might actually be on to something your infallable logic may have overlooked.

Last year there were more than a few nay sayers who had their opinions rammed down their throats. As a matter of fact, on the first day of ticket sales Glenn declared a record breaking sales pace and that "The nay sayers can kiss our ass!" Well, the rest is history.

Those that disagree have always been free to do so as long as they are civil about it. There's no reason a perfectly civil differing opinion should be answered with personal attacks or condescending remarks.

Nah. I'm actually use to it. I get the same type of complaints year in, year out. I find it rather amusing because I remember people bitching about Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, and several others only to see the light in retrospect. Yes, I miss on occasion (Secret Sphere), but I like my winning percentage.

I liked Secret Sphere :(

Perhaps. However, it can be argued that Virgin Steele (could be a #3 or #4), Firewind (could be a #3), Communic (could be a #2) and Primal Fear (could be a #1) are all in bargain spots.

As for Redemption, I think there's two factors to consider. One, Ray. His presence should draw a lot of the Fates Warning faithful. Two, their last disc was phenomenal and I fully expect them to continue to build upon that momentum. It sounds as if Nick has really hit his stride as a songwriter and Redemption may be snowballing into this #3 slot.

Although I'm not a Theshold fan, I don't suspect they're a reach at #3 and I fully expect the crowd reaction to confirm that.

Lastly, when this festival started out, the festival carried the pre-party. Now, the pre-party adds to the allure of the festival. Don't discount the drawing power of Vanden Plas, and to a lesser extant, Freak Kitchen (not to mention whoever else they get).

Zod

Those are all some great points. Thanks again for the Redemption reccomendation about a year ago. Love that album and I'm looking forward to seeing them play live. I think this will be an easy sell out. Not a record breaker, but well in advance of the fest.

I'm excited to get to see Primal Fear, Sonata Arctica, Firewind, Redemption, Vanden Plas and Freak Kitchen. I don't know much about Virgin Steele, Threshhold, Communic or Pagan's Mind but I'm sure that like previous years most will make a fan out of me. That's "The ProgPower Effect" - always going home a fan of more bands than when you started!

Put me down as another one hoping for Nocturnal Rites or Brainstorm for the final roster addition. My gut says Glenn has something else in mind but I can still hope.

Happy now, gonna be happier later. This is all highly amsusing. Many quality bands mentioned, but I like nearly all suggested. Nothing to complain about; it's just gonna get better!

Really hoping for Nocturnal Rites, but can't imagine they would jump right to the top spot for their first ProgPower appearance when other returning bands have not elevated to true headline status. Since I think Glenn's a POS fanboy, I'm assuming they'll be the pick, especially with a new 2007 release.

Orphaned Land? Hmmm....here's one hoping Steven Wilson's production on the new CD will tone down the vocal growling, which to this point ruins this great band for me, IMO.

OH HELL YEAH!!

Glen, you and Sean have booked 5, count them 5 of my wishlist!! I feel like I just won the lottery! :kickass: Sonata Arctica, Pagan's Mind, Vanden Plas, Redemption & Threshold. And I'm looking forward to the others too. This line up is fantastic!

This year it's all about the music if you ask me... You have booked some amazing bands and this year will be a huge success no doubt...

I'm still hoping for a FFB! (Female Fronted Band) - After Forever or Within Temptation maybe? Don't know if either is headline material but I think they are worthy of Co-Headline status :loco: But it seems unlikely...

You mean Shane bro. Sean does jack and shit except setting up tables.

I bring nothing to the table... except setting up tables.

Zilla

All I can say is, if some people don't want to go, then I'm happy it will give me a better chance of getting tickets :) It's such an awesome lineup that I was quite worried I will miss out in the rush.

Actually I'd already decided that when you announced Redemption. You could just stick Ray on a stage all day and I'd buy a ticket.

I really don't understand all this whining.

Me neither. Hell Im only into Firewind and Pagans Mind for the actual fest (Vanden Plas for the showcase). Thats 2 out of 9 bands.

However I know that because I lean on the "power" side, Im not gonna get alot of bands I like. Like stated it has to be a good mix or else Glenn risks the chance of alienating a chunk of fans.

Another thing, if people dont like it heres an idea. Invest in another festival. Believe it or not before Pagans Mind was announced I was seriously debatting possibly going to ProgPower UK instead (a big "maybe" though as I also go to PPUSA to mingle with friends). And having already been to PPUK believe it or not expense wise its not much more $$$.

This where you and I disagree completely. I'm not going to argue "popularity" but were you at III or IV and witness the crowd reactions to either band?

I wasn't, but it is a good point. If you're marketing to regulars, then obviously bringing back our favorites makes sense. And I really, really want to see both bands.

That's why I ready to start creating headliners instead of booking them.

Seems to me that you've done an amazing job of getting some bands over to the point where the PP crowd would love to see them in higher slots. But making a headliner seems like a tall order. It'll be interesting to see if you can pull it off.

Glenn -- now is your chance to get Kiuas. You want to create a headliner?

Or you can get Elvenking. Tom Naumann (guitarist for Primal Fear) and I agree. And I'm willing to wager that it sells out if you do (okay it will if you don't too), and if I lose the wager, I'll buy all the rest of the available tickets at the door, and I'll wear them all. And then I'll go watch one of my favorite bands.

Oh yeah and I hear Dark Empire is available.

I couldn't agree more. They impressed the shit out of me. I can't wait for them to come out with some new material. I think there would be more of a possibilty for them if they were about to release a new album.

Hmmm.... perhaps I am wrong about the timing, but I thought for sure a new album was in the works to be released next year? (That's actually one of the reasons I thought they would be an intriguing possibility, along with the reception they received at PPVI).

Jason

Glenn -- now is your chance to get Kiuas. You want to create a headliner?

Or you can get Elvenking. Tom Naumann (guitarist for Primal Fear) and I agree. And I'm willing to wager that it sells out if you do (okay it will if you don't too), and if I lose the wager, I'll buy all the rest of the available tickets at the door, and I'll wear them all. And then I'll go watch one of my favorite bands.

Oh yeah and I hear Dark Empire is available.

Elvenking would kick SO MUCH ASS.

Since the Friday headlining spot it filled, I'm wondering if that makes it more difficult for Glenn to fill the Saturday headlining spot. In other words, is the Sat. night slot a "tougher sell" and a potential deal-breaker for some potential candidates who would prefer to be playing on Friday?