Let's revisit the headliner issue...

I'd be inclined to push the boundaries of the festival towards a heavier direction, and less inclined to do so towards AOR. The reason being, this has always been a Metal festival. I've been to Porcupine Tree shows and it's a very different crowd, with a very different energy. Conversely, bands like Mercenary, Amorphis, Into Eternity and Orphaned Land have demonstrated that you can up the aggression level without changing the aesthetics of he festival dramatically. In addition, this forum, and I suspect the crowd as a whole, has evolved from viewing growl/harsh/death vocals with disdain, to being fairly accepting of them. I'm not sure Glenn has to continue to limit himself to only one band per yer who employs this vocal style.

Of course, this approach would be geared towards offering a balanced card, and less about creating a headliner centric festival.

Zod

The quality of the total line up is what matters the most. I remember the year when Brainstorm, and Tad Morose played on the third slot and they both slayed!! To rely on a headliner-centric line up would make for a long and boring weekend.

I am not going to try and be an armchair promoter, and say this is what I think will work, because in reality none of us know what will work in this time of economic uncertainty. But, as a lot of people have said, and i echo the same sentiment it has not been the headliners that have drawn me to PP in the past 4 years, it has always been not only the under card but the people. Bands like Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Redemption, Freak Kitchen, Pyramaze, and Primal Fear.

I feel Glenn will make the right choice, and will hopefully keep this festival going past 2010 or 2011, but if he does decide to slowly fade away, he can do it with the sense that he has accomplished something, and hopefully there will be a few of us who will try and continue his legacy in some way form or fashion.

Three quick thoughts

1) Unlike Zod, if the festival changes tone I would personally like it more if it moved in a more AOR direction and could include bands like Starbreaker, just to name one. That's just me personally. I have plenty of opportunities to see heavy-as-shit bands play on tours or other fests. I have comparatively few opportunities to see metal or hard rock bands with both feet firmly in the melody-first camp.

2) Gamma Ray is a potential repeat that definitely should come back into a top slot in a future year. They showed they still have it big time on the last tour with Helloween.

3) Just to echo some previously posted statements, ProgPower USA is the best metal fest in the States. Period. It is the fucking best!!!

I'd be inclined to push the boundaries of the festival towards a heavier direction, and less inclined to do so towards AOR. The reason being, this has always been a Metal festival. I've been to Porcupine Tree shows and it's a very different crowd, with a very different energy. Conversely, bands like Mercenary, Amorphis, Into Eternity and Orphaned Land have demonstrated that you can up the aggression level without changing the aesthetics of he festival dramatically. In addition, this forum, and I suspect the crowd as a whole, has evolved from viewing growl/harsh/death vocals with disdain, to being fairly accepting of them. I'm not sure Glenn has to continue to limit himself to only one band per yer who employs this vocal style.

Of course, this approach would be geared towards offering a balanced card, and less about creating a headliner centric festival.

Zod

I am one of those fans,Zod.I hated death vocals for a LONG time until I started listening to some bands that use death and melodic vocals in their music.I must say I like the two combined.If I had a preference as to which style of metal I would like to see included in this festival it would be thrash as I'm a HUGE fan of that as well as power metal.

Hi guys,

NEARfest is in the exact same position as ProgPower. Both of us have operated for 10+ years on the model of big/vintage headliners with a solid, sometimes experimental undercard. As businessmen, it's hard for us to assume that the same amount of people will come to the show without those types of headliners. Yes, we can fill a lineup with great lesser known bands, but to what result? We currently have a certain production value and fan expectation when it comes to the quality of the event itself, not just the bands. If those aspects get compromised, it may have been better just to fold up the tent and "go out on top." The worse situation is losing a boatload of money, which comes out of the organizers' shallow middle class pockets.

The only difference I see is that in the prog metal world, ProgPower is pretty much the only metal festival with a name. In progressive rock, while NEARfest may be the largest and most well-known, there are a bunch of others: ProgDay, CalProg, Rosfest, etc. If NEARfest were to change it's model as described above, there is the distinct chance that it would become "just another fest." That is not to knock the other prog fests, but NEARfest has always set itself apart by having the big headliners (Steve Hackett, Keith Emerson), the reunions (FM, Anglagard, Happy the Man, Nektar), and supergroups (Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment).

It's a very tough situation. We love to hear the fans that say "I don't care who you have, I'm there"! Unfortunately, there probably aren't 1000 of those folks to sell out our venue. On the other hand, we don't know *that* for sure either! The economy doesn't help the theory either. Despite that, NEARfest '09 did sell out this past Monday. We are very thankful for that. The future is the big fan question mark.

Maybe the ProgPower folks and the NEARfest folks should put their heads together and brainstorm. I'd certainly be up for it.

Keep supporting ProgPower (and NEARfest) as your personal situation allows, guys. It's great to see the fire here just like we see it over at ProgressiveEars.com

Chad Hutchinson
Co-Founder, NEARfest
www.nearfest.com

It's a crapshoot and what I'm facing after ten shows along with a piss poor economy. I will tell you this though. I truly believe that it's better to burn out than fade away. If a show fails to sell and maintain the lofty levels we have achieved over the past decade, then there will only be one more show that following year. ProgPower USA will make a curtain call and go out while on top.

Economy is cyclical in nature. Especially this time the whole world is effected at similar ratios, which forces close cooperation of economic policies worldwide. This will decrease the recovery time as oppose to US facing this by itself. Is there a rule that states Progpower has to be hald every year, of not it is done? It is your show Glen, economy will turn around, there will be great deman for festival again, there will also be much better band choices out there. So instead of saying one more then done, how about just skipping next year, or do next year and just skip 2011?

Maybe the ProgPower folks and the NEARfest folks should put their heads together and brainstorm. I'd certainly be up for it.

I imagine there is some crossover audience for both festivals, and some people who would like to attend both, but have to pick only one due to financial reasons.

To build on what a couple of people have suggested in posts above, if worse came to worse, perhaps the two festivals could alternate years. Each festival would then be a bit more rare and special, and it would make it easier for the core audiences to attend *both*.

But what do I know, there's a reason I teach math and not economics, business, or marketing!

Ken

Zod

^ this

I imagine there is some crossover audience for both festivals, and some people who would like to attend both, but have to pick only one due to financial reasons.

To build on what a couple of people have suggested in posts above, if worse came to worse, perhaps the two festivals could alternate years. Each festival would then be a bit more rare and special, and it would make it easier for the core audiences to attend *both*.
I was somewhat surprised that I don't ever recall hearing of NEARfest, even though it has been around so long and is only one state away from where I live in Maryland.

Then I looked at the previous line-ups and realized that it seems to be mostly a prog rock/metal festival. Of all the bands listed in their past line-ups I recognized maybe five or six names and was really only interested in two (Porcupine Tree and Glass Hammer). Granted I've never heard of most of these bands so I could be totally off base on where they are at musically and if I would like them or not.

I like some prog, some death, but I'm generally more of a power metal girl. I am very happy with the ways PP provides a fairly even mix of these types of bands (some pure power, some pure prog, some that blur the lines, and some that push the boundaries of these two genres a little more in other directions - AOR, death, folk, etc.). I'm not opposed to the occasional growls, heavier bands, or progressive bands, but I would not really want PP to shift drastically in any of these musical directions.

Regarding the idea of these two festivals combining in someway ... As I have said, I do not want PP to become more predominately prog but remain a mixture of both prog and power metal. I would also prefer that these festivals not alternate every year. I like PP as an annual thing. If alternating years was the case, I would probably just end up going to PP every other year and not going to NEARfest, unless NEARfest decides to change the style or caliber of their bands in some way to include more bands (or metal styles) that I am familiar with.

Working together is one thing, but ultimately, I don't think that changing the style of either festival would be good for the respective festivals' current fanbases.

The biggest reason I come to PP is because there are generally at least 3 or 4 bands that I'm really interested in and I can generally guarantee that there's going to one or two bands that I know very little about that blow me away once I see them live. Sometimes there are more bands like those. Whatever I don't care for as much, generally allows me the time to do merch, food, and meet with friends.

Which leads me to another big reason I come to PP is for the company and the "experience." I have never come just for a headliner and this year I don't really care about either of the headliners at all. If I really love half the bands on the bill that's still incentive enough for me to go. The "undercard," the good mixture of bands, as well as the company, is what really draws me to PP.

I would be a shame to see PP burn out or fade away. I hope it can continue for a long time, but I also believe it's called Prog Power for a reason. If you're going to do something way different, than I'd rather just let PP end on a strong note and do a different fest under a different name.

But what do I know, there's a reason I teach math and not economics, business, or marketing!

Ken

As someone that has attended both festivals, I think there's actually very little crossover. The two audiences are very different, and don't really like the same music. The Nearfest crowd is VERY prog oriented, and are very vocal about bands that are heavier. I'm still not sure a lot of them knew what to make of Indukti a few years ago...:heh:

I think that both of these festivals are facing similar challenges, and a meeting between the promoters of the two most popular fests in the US for their respective styles of music might result in a lot of good ideas being exchanged. But I don't really see these festivals combining or anything, as the audiences are just too different.

dt