Let's revisit the headliner issue...

+2. You threw that undercard together and I'd be there in a heartbeat. What about the draw power of some US Bands that would sell tickets ala Jag Panzer, Kamelot? Granted Kamelot has done thier share of tours but that's one band I haven't seen since early days of ProgPower. Jag Panzer slay...IMO a band that never got the kudo's it deserved.

Glenn is like any promoter, whether it's concerts, boxing, wrestling, or even movie studios casting a movie, he has to figure out what acts he can bring in that will SELL TICKETS!!!! In my opinion, PPX could be a hell of a lot better as far as who I prefer to see and who he has, but I don't know what types of hands were dealt to Glenn. Glenn needs this festival to stay in the black, not red. Again, in my opinion this is an off year, but I agree with elevating bands from the 3rd and 4th slots to headliner as to keep the top of the bill fresh. I wish Glenn could afford Dream Theater or Children of Bodom, but I understand he has a certain budget in which to work with. I also agree with the statement that all the dream headliners have been used, like Strato, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Fates Warning, etc. The only thing as far as "dream headliner" I know of would be a Savatage reunion show, or maybe Avantasia, but again, it's economics. If you look at the complete body of work Glenn has produced in the ten festivals total, he has done a shitload for power/progressive metal in this country. Yeah I'm bummed Falconer isn't on the bill, but oh well, like the Detroit Lions say, there's always next year. Be thankful Glenn is willing to put in a ton of blood, sweat and tears into this so we as metalheads have that one weekend a year that we can come together in Hotlanta and say METAL IS KING!!!! God bless you Glenn for making this a reality every year and continue your good works!!!!

I don't care if a headliner is a band that already tours the US. They tour clubs. Center Stage is a vastly superior venue to see a metal show.

As for the economy, have you considered not doing any more PPs until the economic situation improves? If this year turns out to be bad, I don't see how doing it again in another recession year would be "going out in a blaze of glory". It would be fading away.

I like the storyline of a year or two off for the festival and then a triumphant comeback. Plus by then there will probably be a couple of new headliner quality bands that haven't played here yet.

It also seems to me that with prog and power metal and even some top 40 hard rock/metal acts treading kinda close to the prog/power line, that there are a large number of fans that don't know about the festival but would love to come if they did.

I know this festival has sort of been an exclusive thing for the hardcore metal fans, but maybe it's time to go mainstream. Not necessarily with the band selection, but with the marketing. Especially in the local Atlanta area. It seems to me that Atlanta alone should have a few hundred people who don't know about PP but wouldn't mind coming to midtown to see some great bands and expand their horizons a little.

Last year there were quite a few times where I'd go to a Starbucks or pizza place and some kids would be like, "You're here for that metal show, right? What's it like?" Our style is going mainstream. Take advantage of that.

Others have mentioned this point. But I'd like to echo my agreement with it: I'm not usually attracted to ProgPower USA because of the headliners. For me, the draw is the undercard.
Bill

Agree 100%. When the bands were announced for PPX, Glenn had me at “Circus Maximus.” This will be my 4th year attending, and this is the first time that I’ve been as excited about a headliner (Fates Warning) as the rest of the roster.

In fact, it was the Showcase (Leatherwolf, Circus Maximus, Circle II Circle) that first inspired me to attend ProgPower VII…I thought, “what the hell…might as well stick around for the rest of the weekend.”

4. This is my personal favorite idea, but I know it'll never fly :lol: . Changethe festival to "ProgDeath USA"

OK, *that* might keep me away. :lol:

As for the economy, have you considered not doing any more PPs until the economic situation improves?

Agree that a “hiatus” would be preferable to permanently closing down the festival – at least from a fan’s perspective. However, from a planning perspective, I imagine that it’s probably easier to keep the momentum going from festival to festival, rather than grinding things to a halt and then having to pick up the pieces in a year.

I think that regardless of the headliners, the economy will probably slow the pace of ticket sales for the next year or two. Hopefully, that won’t be interpreted as lack of enthusiasm for the bands or lack of appreciation for Glenn’s efforts.

What always brought me to Prog Power as a fan from day one was the mix of the entire lineup. I never went just because "band x" was headlining. The majority of the time, it was the undercard. After the first couple in Atlanta, I probably would have shown up for just the comraderie alone. In keeping with the music reasoning, you can add me to the list of people who would prefer a band elevated to headliner status rather than see a more established band come in. If bringing in the more established band creates a better chance for the festival to continue, and it's LESS of a gamble than say, having Freak Kitchen headline one night, I'm all for going with the established act. I do NOT want to see a last hurrah from this festival any time soon.

p.s. I would really prefer not to have this fest cross any more genre lines (i.e. death metal, doom) as I don't see where there would be any added value by doing that. Diluting the festival with too much of everything would turn it into the GA version of Milwaukee Metal Fest (but run much better!)

While I have never have been to ProgPower....to me it is the solid line ups...not just the headliner. This fest is way above that. While most fest base thier fest around the headliners and try to fill the rest with locals or bands who are still maybe at C or D level. ProgPower is the one fest that every band that plays is quality. I may not like them all but each band is special and not just a band to fill up a time slot. I think the fest is the only US fest to show equal importance to the whole line up and not just to the headliners. I think a strong line up will always sell and not just worring about who is the big headliner.

I wasn't drawn for a headliner for my first ProgPower. I had never heard Angra before (sue me) and Stratovarius was kind of either way. I did, however, love Orphaned Land, and I went based on my friends telling me that this festival is the best show ever to go to (well run, quality sound, great venue, the works). And it is. I will always go to ProgPowerUSA...as long as it still exists, without exception (unless disaster prevents me).

Therefore, I throw my hat into the ring and say that headliners aren't as important to me as the quality of this festival. If the quality goes down, then I really do think that its future should go into question. But I don't see that happening.

Also, as far as the future leaning toward "special" shows....I'm all about that. Jorn's set was nothing that jumped out at me, but the All Star Jam was amazing and I would love to see something like that every year (and for the love of god if we can get Arjen to do something at ProgPower...it would be my wet dream).

Hey Glenn,

I would just like to post some of my thoughts as a Progpower USA virgin. (first year baby!!!) I am one of those who've been aware of this festival for a number of years, but just haven't made it down to Atlanta for whatever reason (usually because of tuition, bills, etc.) I have to say that the draw for me this is year is 2 fold:

1. I think this is the best US festival, period! Now I haven't been yet, but as has been stated before, you consistently have a fantastic lineup and the fans are never disappointed. I'm proud to become a contributor to the vision that you have! It is refreshing to see someone put together a concert with nothing in mind but sheer musical integrity. You bring the best to the fans, and that is freaking rad! My Bolt Thrower t-shirt says it best..."In a world of compromise, some don't", and that is how I feel about this festival. It needs to be supported, and I for one am happy to do so!

2. The second thing that draws me this year is the *quote* "undercard" bands. I'm from Utah, and I learned a long time ago that to see the best bands, i'd have to travel out of state. With that said, i've seen or had the opportunity to see most of the "headliners" that you've had at Progpower over the years, but there are quite a number of bands on your opening to 4th or 5th slot that I haven't seen, and that is my draw to the festival this year. The metal fans in this country can see Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, or Helloween every couple of years either right in, or near their hometown. They have a harder time however seeing Vanden Plas, Sabaton, or Orphaned Land.

I guess what it boils down to for me is rarity. You produce what others don't.

If it is ticket sales that you are after, then I don't think that there is anything wrong with scoring an already "on tour" band, or a more mainstream band as a headliner as long as you have some good diversity and rarity in the lineup (as you consistently do). We have a lot of good US based bands that would work pretty well.

This show seems to pull a lot of "out of towners", and I think that that is awesome. If that is to continue, then the rarity factor has to stay. Luckily, as has been stated on this thread, that rarity needn't be necessarily from a headliner to get people's attention.

PPUSA strength has always been the undercard, there have been some times that I have actually slipped out during the headliner (I will not say which ones, but it was not ICED EARTH, they can come back anytime you can afford them).

Glenn just do what you need too, bucause the thought of a world with out PP is very sad . :OMG::cry::cry::cry:

4. This is my personal favorite idea, but I know it'll never fly :lol: . Changethe festival to "ProgDeath USA" and book Gojira, Cynic and Opeth!! I mean, if you really want to sell out fast, thats how to do it. And make Opeth play Black Rose Immortal, that would get lots of people to come. :lol:

Glenn has tried to book Opeth in the past (for PPUSA III, I think). Although I'd love to see them perform "Black Rose Immortal", I think they're a bit too big nowadays for the fest. (And Mikael has told me they'd never play "BRI." :))

As for "prog-death," I wouldn't mind personally, but dropping the power-metal bands in favor of progressive-death would probably hurt ticket sales. As Glenn has succinctly put it before, "It's the power bands that put butts in seats." :lol:

Also, there's something to be said for having a rotation of "familiars", like Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus are getting to be, like Brainstorm might be, and as Evergrey has been, which bubble up in rotation every once in a while. Each of them are in the "ProgPower farm system", and have been climbing the ladder in terms of prestige at the festival based on past performance at the festival.

To me, there is a difference between a "ProgPower headliner" and a generic headliner. A ProgPower headliner is a band that has prestige within the genre, and epitomizes what the festival is about, not just a big name band who happens to be contracted to play at the festival. For example, Sonata Arctica could have been the former, but acted like they were the latter, and so their appearance was a disappointment.

Both of these are excellent observations...I like the "ProgPower farm system" concept particularly. I also agree about S.A., although I sponsored them and loved their show. (Last year, my sponsorees DID treat PPUSA as a special show, with shirts exclusively designed for PP. :))

I was intrigued by PP1 when it was announced, but it was Superior at PP2 that brought me to the festival before I even knew who the headliners were that year. And this was before I understood how cool the event was and what the environment was like throughout the weekend.

I really enjoyed the first PPUSA in Chicago, but Glenn's booking of Superior for the following PP really solidified the festival as a perennial no-brainer for me. (Still one of the best, if short, sets I've seen at PPUSA.)

Also, as far as the future leaning toward "special" shows....I'm all about that. Jorn's set was nothing that jumped out at me, but the All Star Jam was amazing and I would love to see something like that every year (and for the love of god if we can get Arjen to do something at ProgPower...it would be my wet dream).

Mine, too. It has been looked into in the past. Maybe someday.....after I win the lottery..... :heh:

What always brought me to Prog Power as a fan from day one was the mix of the entire lineup. I never went just because "band x" was headlining. The majority of the time, it was the undercard. After the first couple in Atlanta, I probably would have shown up for just the comraderie alone. In keeping with the music reasoning, you can add me to the list of people who would prefer a band elevated to headliner status rather than see a more established band come in. If bringing in the more established band creates a better chance for the festival to continue, and it's LESS of a gamble than say, having Freak Kitchen headline one night, I'm all for going with the established act. I do NOT want to see a last hurrah from this festival any time soon.

p.s. I would really prefer not to have this fest cross any more genre lines (i.e. death metal, doom) as I don't see where there would be any added value by doing that. Diluting the festival with too much of everything would turn it into the GA version of Milwaukee Metal Fest (but run much better!)

My thoughts as well...

Headliners have never been the draw for me. My interest level in the headliners, rated between 0-10

0 = I left the venue or hung out at the bar
10 = one of my favorite bands

* Symphony X - 7
* Kamelot - 8
* Blind Guardian - 1
* Gamma Ray - 1
* Angra - 3

* Nightwish - 1
* Rage - 1

* WoMD - 1
* Edguy - 6

* Stratovarius - 0
* Angra - 4

* Evergrey - 2
* Jørn Lande - 1

* Sonata Arctica - 0
* After Forever - 2

* Iced Earth - 10
* Amorphis - 6

* Fates Warning - 6
* Andre Matos - 1

Zod

PPUSA strength has always been the undercard, there have been some times that I have actually slipped out during the headliner (I will not say which ones, but it was not ICED EARTH, they can come back anytime you can afford them).

Glenn just do what you need too, bucause the thought of a world with out PP is very sad . :OMG::cry::cry::cry:
+1:kickass:

Headliners have never been the draw for me. My interest level in the headliners, rated between 0-10

0 = I left the venue or hung out at the bar
10 = one of my favorite bands

* Symphony X - 7 10
* Kamelot - 8 9
* Blind Guardian - 1 9
* Gamma Ray - 1 10
* Angra - 3 8

* Nightwish - 1 10
* Rage - 1 5

* WoMD - 1 9
* Edguy - 6 10

* Stratovarius - 0 10
* Angra - 4 8

* Evergrey - 2 9
* Jørn Lande - 1 8

* Sonata Arctica - 0 10
* After Forever - 2 10

* Iced Earth - 10 10
* Amorphis - 6 10

* Fates Warning - 6 10
* Andre Matos - 1 8

Zod
See how closely our ratings match?:lol:

How about a Steven Wilson Project type band, doing some Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and other songs from bands he's written with?

I would personally love to see something like that. Any time that Wilson has been Stateside with Blackfield, they've always gone to big cities and the tours are always only a few dates. I would welcome seeing something like that at Progpower.

Chances are Porcupine Tree itself would be the same as Opeth - where they are too big for a small venue. I've seet PT and Opeth numerous times and it always seems like the venue gets a little bigger each tour.

As usual I'm late to the party,but I reached into my pocket and found my two cents,so here goes....

I believe that the key to this festival continuing to draw well has little to do with the headliners and more to do with the overall power of the entire card. I have been to 4 of the past 6 Progpower shows,only missing when I felt that the band selection was not equal value to the cost of my travel. Never once did I consider not going because of who was headlining. My decisions were all based on the entire card. I'm sure if you were to go after one major headliner,you would draw from a different fanbase,people coming in specifically for the one "name" band, but the "family",the group of twisted sick individuals who travel to Atlanta every year would rather have a bunch of lesser selling bands,the Eldritch,Wastefall,Heavenly type bands,as long as there is enough "Meat" with our "potatoes.

I would hate to see ProgPower end any time soon,but like all good things,eventually there will be a time to say goodbye. I just don't believe that the time is now. Hell,I can't wait to see what you pull out of the hat for ProgPower 25!

I agree with the adding of an AOR type band or even a thrash band like DESTRUCTION or Schmier's other band HEADHUNTER who are a little more traditionall metal oriented. I know DESTRUCTION tours here, but to small crowds. ANVIL would probably be a cool choice because they're "hot" now. Even though I loved them since '83. I'm sure the thrash bands would easily cater to the power metal fans because of the speed and aggressive nature of the music. I know I'd LOVE it! Plus, both AOR and thrash bands would most likely please the elder statesmen and stateswomen who were around when both genres were big back in the day. Just my humble opinion.

Personally, I'd rather that ProgPower didn't need non-prog/powerish bands to headline in order to survive. If you want those bands, there are other fests out there.