The next two are....

OMFG, Orphaned Land!!! :headbang: :worship: :headbang: :worship: :headbang:

I'd almost written them off for this year. Glenn, you da f'n man! :worship: :worship: :worship:

--And thanks for recommending Mabool to me, too! I had a feeling there was a reason behind it, all those months ago.... :tickled:

PC69 sounds like they'll be interesting and I'm sure I'll enjoy their show. (There are very few bands that've graced the PP stage that I haven't, although if I don't know much of a band's material, I tend to wander in and out more. :))

Se7enChurches said:
(re: Arcturus)
the band was originally comprised (and still is, for the most part) of entirely black metal musicians, and the first Arcturus album certainly was black metal, but the other two albums they've done are not. they are often extreme, but they sound like absolutely nothing I've ever heard, and have a lot of cleaner vocals. They are a progressive metal band in the "pushes the boundaries and truly sounds DIFFERENT" sense of the term "progressive metal", as opposed to the "directly descended from Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Queensryche" sense of the term, which seems to be the more common definition. I think they would be an amazing choice for an oddball band some year.

I totally agree; in fact, they were one of the other "oddball" bands who appeared in my lists (along with Wintersorg, Borknagar, Spiral Architect, and of course Orphaned Land). Great way of expressing the other, better meaning of the word "progressive." Unique-sounding bands fuckin' rule. :D

Well, in the past I've bitched about repeat bands (see last year) and I've openly said that Glenn could do better. Now THIS is better. See, I don't care if you "like" the bands or not so far. I think we're having the opportunity to see the US debut of 6 bands so far. How can you NOT be into that? Apparently some don't care and I see plain and clear that I will never, and I mean NEVER, be a concert promoter. 6 bands you've never seen and you bitch why?

Ever since the end of PPV last year, I've been dreaming of a PPVI with Orphaned Land, Angra, and MERCENARY. I'm 1/3 of the way there, and FUCKING PSYCHED beyond all. So psyched to see Orphaned Land and PRAY that they do some acoustic stuff for us.

As for people saying they're not coming because they don't like the line-up: I'm not really up to date on all that is metal, and only know mainly of the big metal bands (Angra, Evergrey, EdGuy, Symphony X etc etc etc) ProgPower is a place where I get exposed to new bands that totally blow me away. Before PPIV, I had never heard of Mercenary or Pagan's Mind, and now both bands have a FAN FOR LIFE.

Plus, you gotta love the atmosphere of Earthlink Live, the complete humility and openness of all the kickass bands, and all the super cool people you meet here at PP, year after year.

So unless your main issue is a lack of funds or time off from work, try to make it to ProgPower, not just for the kickass music, but for all of the other facets of the festival itself.

Infinite Void said:
Ever since the end of PPV last year, I've been dreaming of a PPVI with Orphaned Land, Angra, and MERCENARY. I'm 1/3 of the way there, and FUCKING PSYCHED beyond all. So psyched to see Orphaned Land and PRAY that they do some acoustic stuff for us.

As for people saying they're not coming because they don't like the line-up: I'm not really up to date on all that is metal, and only know mainly of the big metal bands (Angra, Evergrey, EdGuy, Symphony X etc etc etc) ProgPower is a place where I get exposed to new bands that totally blow me away. Before PPIV, I had never heard of Mercenary or Pagan's Mind, and now both bands have a FAN FOR LIFE.

Plus, you gotta love the atmosphere of Earthlink Live, the complete humility and openness of all the kickass bands, and all the super cool people you meet here at PP, year after year.

So unless your main issue is a lack of funds or time off from work, try to make it to ProgPower, not just for the kickass music, but for all of the other facets of the festival itself.

I totally agree. I have been turned onto so many bands in the 2 years I have been going. Sure, Pain of Salvation was the definite reason I originally chose last year but I knew based on the previous year that I will take my chances with Glenn's choices as I know I will come home with tons of memories, new friends, and an empty wallet from cd purchases.o_O :ill: :Spin:

So far it looks like the lineup has some interesting potential but I'm not sure it compares to previous years for me, definitely not on the level of PP3. Therion has some interesting stuff that's starting to grow on me, and Manticora seems pretty cool based on listening to 8 Deadly Sins for a while. Looking forward to the Circus Maximus disc, and although I think Stratovarius's best albums are behind them it will be cool to see them live as long as they play a greatest hits set. PC69 seems pretty ho-hum to me but maybe they'll be better live (I didn't care for Circle II Circle until seeing them live). Orphaned Land sounds interesting based on the one clip but I just really don't like death/growl vocals; can somebody tell me how much of that is on their latest CD?

Jeff

jkohn said:
... although I think Stratovarius's best albums are behind them it will be cool to see them live as long as they play a greatest hits set.

Don't worry - they will. They may have a few songs from the later stuff, but believe me, they know the songs that work at these types of festivals.

im really looking forward to attending my first prog power. OL is the best news.... finally, a band that fits a bit more for my taste. i was waiting for some growls!!!!!!! Dont get me wrong i am a very open minded music fan, strato is ok, just cant get into the vocals. therion i cant wait to see, i have just picked up,"secrets of the ruins", and i like there ideas, i cant listen to the whole album all the way through because of the annoying female singing, but i get by that, fucking great and diff. band. cant wait to check out manitcora, i can stand the vocals alot better than strato, also cant wait to check out circus maximus, young band...........

MORE GROWLS..............PLEASE............. :hotjump:

Now if Glenn can come through with MASTERPLAN, ROYAL HUNT, PYRAMAZE, and CLOUDSCAPE, this would be the best ever PP. PC69 are awesome in concert, i saw them a few years back in Greece as the headliner, and INNERWISH as the opener. What a show. Yea i travel alot and get the chance to see alot of bands that have never been to the USA, like Royal Hunt in Japan, PC69 in Greece and Innerwish, and others, but this year i will be in Atlanta for PPVI.

Got in a pretty bad wreck Sunday. Car's pretty messed up but I'm doin fine. Been down though. But yesterday lifted my spirits when I realized I could find out another progpower band hehe. Then found it wasn't til 8... Went to class and saw later. I've not heard of either band but am ready to check them out and see them. Too bad it wasn't some familiar band to really lift my spirits heheh. I was excited to check though.

hey.. thanks for the acclaration of orphaned´s inclination. Actually if they "growl" as ive seen in previous topics, it is called black or death metal, depending on their song topics... I am not against this band, cuase if they play with oriental instruments they can fit into the prog metal.

BUt i just dont like black/death metal!
so well, hope freedom call, hammerfall,rhapsody and shaman (which are touring this summer) will be in the list... That would be a perfect show!!

PhantomLord said:
Wow, extreme disappointment is all from my end.

Glenn, I love your festival and I've gone to III and V. Just seems the even years don't really do it for me with the lineups.

So far, I care about zero of the bands. Depending on the headliner (and there are 3 or 4 different possibilities I consider realistic here that I want to see) I may or may not go. Not a fan of any of the 6 bands so far, but from what I've heard I would like to see Strato and Manticora. Therion is terrible to my ears, but hey, that's why it's called an opinion! :)

I'm glad to see so many people happy with the lineup thus far. I dunno what it is, but I loved III and V and the lineup for IV and so far VI just don't do it for me. Hopefully one of the 4 headliners I'm hoping for is there this year. If not I may still come, so we'll see.

I'm with you bud. I went to IV & V and love the line-ups for both events.
I'm excited about Stratovarius as I have been a fan for years, quite interested in Manticora but PC69(post glam rock from the 90's). Two unknown up & comers doesn't really excite me either. The next set of acts to be announced will have to be bands like Masterplan, Rhapsody, Angra, Blind Guardian or DGM to get me there at this point.

FatesFan said:
I know I'll get flamed for this,however I don't care. "So far" this is the least appealing PP ever. I hope there is something here for me in the last 4 bands. I like Strat and I find Circus Maximus to be promising. I can't wait to hear the whole Album. But that is it for me so far. This does not hold a candle to PP3 much less any of the other PP's. Go ahead and get mad and tell me how I'm insulting Glen and all that stuff. Remeber, this is just my opinion. I am glad that many of you are happy.

Hey Fates Fan, what the hell is your problem...

Just kidding; I actually have to agree with you here. I love Stratovarius and Circus Maximus does sound promising, but other than that I must say I could care less. Don't get me wrong, I will give Therion a chance as they may be cool. The thing that sucks for me this year is that I do not have a single album by any of the bands announced aside from Strat. I am so accustomed to at least having a few discs from the bands on the bill.

With that said, I personally feel Manticora is downright awful; I never heard Orphaned Land so I will not judge them; PC69 may be ok, but again, I never got into them, and I have no albums from Therion although I am in the process of picking up a few.

I guess overall so far, you could say I am a bit dissapointed as I feel there are so many awesome prog metal bands out there to choose from. And yes, I know i cannot be pleased every year, and I am glad others are thrilled w/ the lineup thus far. I already sent my money for my GB's and will continue to do so regardless as this is the premiere metal show of the year in the U.S. I was just hoping for at least a few bands that I had recommended to Glenn. I realize he may have tried to get them along with the dozens and dozens of bands I'm sure others provided him with.

I was definitely shocked to not see Symphorce! I thought for sure they would be announced. And I can't imagine them getting a second slot especially considering OL got a third slot.

Anyway, I am still hoping for a band like Time Machine, Vision Divine, Labyrinth, Poverty's No Crime, etc... I guess that is why i am so bummed.

Oh well, 4 bands left that could still sway me the other way. I look forward to next week.

angra150 said:
so well, hope freedom call, hammerfall,rhapsody and shaman (which are touring this summer) will be in the list... That would be a perfect show!!

Glenn has already talked about Shaman, he mention that they declined playing the festival, and that happened more than once... I don't think it's very likely to see them over here...

Considering that the bands that Glenn hasn't announced yet are US Debuts besides the opener who's from the US and the #1 slot who is still open, I would certainly rule out Hammerfall as well.

Freedom Call would not be a band to headline this festival, I would not put them on a higher rank than a slot 2 band. So you can still keep your hopes up for them, maybe they'll be one of saturday's openers.

Rhapsody is a very expensive band to be booked, but they have a new cd out, they've never played the US and a lot of people would die happy if they saw them. That is a band that I would not be surprised at all to see playing ProgPower on friday night. They are good enough to be on the slot 4 of friday, though I'm almost positive Masterplan will take it ! =)

SoNofBitcH said:
whine whine whine. don't like the bands? fuck off. just means more tickets for the people who do actually want to go. like someone else said, it will sell out anyway. nobody will miss you. a select few do this every year. cry your fucking eyes out and stay your asses at home while 1,000 people are partying their ass off to great music in atlanta. your loss

Oh please. You're the only person in this topic that's whining.

angra150 said:
Actually if they "growl" as ive seen in previous topics, it is called black or death metal, depending on their song topics...

Not really. There are a lot of bands that have some degree of harsh vocals but are still prog. Vintersorg and Solefald are two examples of this. In these cases, it's really more dependent on the music as a whole than just the vocals. Although I've heard that Orphaned Land's earlier stuff was death/doom or something.

Next week will be the #8 and #10 slots. "Traditional" Prog fans will get their day next Monday.

The two headliners for Friday will be last of course.

I swear that if I announced everyone at once, there would be far less complaints in terms of "if so and so isn't there or anyone like them, I'm not coming."

Glenn H

Harvester said:
Next week will be the #8 and #10 slots. "Traditional" Prog fans will get their day next Monday.

I'm assuming that we're gonna see two prog bands opening on saturday then. Magnitude 9 and Riverside are ruled out. Should we count on something like Time Machine, Poverty's no Crime or... or... or... GOD DAMN, I WISH NEXT MONDAY WOULD COME QUICKER...

Harvester said:
The two headliners for Friday will be last of course.

Damn you, evil man!!!

Harvester said:
I swear that if I announced everyone at once, there would be far less complaints in terms of "if so and so isn't there or anyone like them, I'm not coming."

Glenn H

Don't worry about these shitty comments.... I can definetly say that those are the kind of people that should not be buying a ticket on april 2nd, nor should they have gold badges.... I think there's a lot of people that are not gonna be able to make it to ProgPower due to it getting sold out, and I think they deserve these seats in the house more than the whiners.... Plus, even if the lineup sucked you would still be the man!!!!

Cheers

Milton

I'm not taking any personal attacks at Glenn when I complain. I love this festival and the people involved with it. I've had some of the best times of my life at the festival. I think it's fantastic that he's brought so many of us lovers of obscure metal together and given so many bands an opportunity to be heard in the US.
The only thing that really bothers me as I was looking at PPUSA's history is the fact that pretty much every year, we have gotten one less proggy band it seems. I would've killed to see the first one--and I would've gone to it if I wasn't 15 at the time--because all of the amazing prog bands, most of which still remain favorites for me today. Don't get me wrong though, I loved PPIV and PPV. I also love seeing bands like Mercenary and Into Eternity taking the stage.
Now I *know* that power metal sells and I still love some of it myself (although I must admit it's lost a lot of charm with me since I was 15), but as a poor college student I simply can't afford to pay $600+ for a festival when the "proggy" bands are only playing maybe 2 hours of the whole festival. The reason I complain is I don't like the idea of me *not* attending this festival. Half of the fun of the festival is seeing your friends from all over the place and making new ones. I won't be making my decision final until March 1st when all bands are announced though. I'm still praying for someone like Andromeda or Freak Kitchen to lure me... Prove me wrong, Glenn. :D

Creeps said:
Which forces me to ask, who's considered the oddball this year? Orphaned Land or Therion? Or is it still to come?

To me, I think the odd ball band is PC69. I don't know about anyone else, but having a glam rock band at a metal festival seems odd to me. I a lot of people seem really stoked about them, so I guess it was a good decision. I personally will be counting the seconds to Therion during their set.

I've never heard any Orphanland, but based the sample track I think they are right down my listening ally.

Reguardless of who else is performing this year, it will be worth it just for Therion. I was ready to travel anywhere to see them if they came to the US and skipped Atlanta. Now I don't have to.

If the 10 and 8 bands cater to the straight forward prog fans, then I can't wait to find out the 3 and 1 bands!