The next two are....

Maybe it is me but i find it hard to find anything to complain about. Think about it.....a chance to see bands live, in the states, that most will never get a chance to....and we are talking 10 very talented bands each year.

Last year was the first year I got a chance to attend (wanted to for III and IV, just could not commit that soon) and was more blown away by the bands I did not know or was not all that knowledgable about than the ones I did know. There is not one year that I would not have been tickled to be at, especially after finally getting there and experiencing the full extent of the festival.

I feel lucky to have been at PPV and will feel the same for all the following years I am there.....which means I'll be at PPXXX....equiped with my walker and cane if need be. :)

After considering a bit, I think that the announcements of the two 3rd slot'ers is the strongest one yet. And that is even without hearing a single second of Orphaned Land. I am very open to the 'Hybrid' type of bands, the whole Death Metal meets another style thing. To me, that is really cool. So I will be definitely interested in hearing what they sound like. Also, PK69 is actually a really good Melodic Hard Rock band. They remind me a bit of Dokken at times. Their pick is a surprisingly good idea.

I also think that they are both 'Oddball' bands as neither one truly fits the 'Prog/Power' label.

And one last thing of some of the critcism on here. It SHOULD be done respectfully as Glenn has already mentioned, this is the PP forum. BUT, if there isn't any critique of the lineup, then how would one really know if they are getting bands that people want to pay and travel to see? The whole goal of Marketing Research is to get others opinions on Products, Events, and just the overall picture of how things can be improved or just stay the same.

I also don't see a problem with some of these comments/post, as to me they moreso reflect just some simple dissapointment with not having one or two of your faves on the roster. I mean, if you are going or have gone to a PP, who the Hell doesn't like being turned on to a new, cool band?! I sure do. The year I went and saw Mercenary for instance, was just an awesome new band to sink into. I was highly impressed.

But, I also agree with that one person (forgot the name) that mentioned about the money, travel and not having one or two of your personal faves on the roster being a factor in possibly not going. But again, this is moreso just a normal reaction of being dissapointed.

I look forward to the final four bands after this week going in a good direction.

Cheers!
WL

traditional prog bands, i didnt like the sound of it... that means that PC69 and orphaned land were power? cause so far power metal is just with stratovarius, manticora and half therion.

That might mean that the headliners for friday are power though so Im happy the best bands are power metal!! If 4 of them are prog, then ill just wait for the 7th progpower...

Harvester said:
Next week will be the #8 and #10 slots. "Traditional" Prog fans will get their day next Monday.

The two headliners for Friday will be last of course.

I swear that if I announced everyone at once, there would be far less complaints in terms of "if so and so isn't there or anyone like them, I'm not coming."

Glenn H

It's about fucking time! After going to PPII, PPIV, & PPV I was starting to have a mental breakdown thinking that PPVI might pass me by this year. I have decided to quit bitchin' and wait for next week. I'm a 42yr. metal music lover, and last year I shook hands with my HERO Jon Oliva and had a chance to talk for a while. For that I have to thank Glenn. I have seen some of the greatest bands in the world; Evergrey, Kamelot, Symphony X, Nightwish, Tad Morose, Pagan's Mind, Brainstorm, Ed Guy, Circle2Circle, members of Savatage, and so many more I can't remember. So with that I say "Holy Shit" Glenn this better be a good one. :hotjump:

It would be interesting if, for the next announcement, Glenn started two threads for it. A "be excited" thread and a "bitch" thread. That way anyone who is excited wouldn't get their bubble burst, and anyone who wanted to bitch could do so without fear of others reading and flaming them. Heavy emphasis on the "not bursting anyone's bubble" part.

Genius, right? :Smug:

DementiaGuitar said:
It would be interesting if, for the next announcement, Glenn started two threads for it. A "be excited" thread and a "bitch" thread. That way anyone who is excited wouldn't get their bubble burst, and anyone who wanted to bitch could do so without fear of others reading and flaming them. Heavy emphasis on the "not bursting anyone's bubble" part.

Genius, right? :Smug:

good idea

I think the whole thing is being overblown. I haven't seen anyone being overly negative. In fact, the only annoying negative comment was the one yelling at the disappointed people.

I'm excited at the chance to see all the US debut bands, and I'm sure they're great, it's just hard to get excited over bands I don't know.

Yeah , it would probably be kind of silly and pointless; I know I for one would be so curious that I'd have to read whatever thread I disagreed with anyway. Most of the negative ones are at least waiting for the end of the announcements to pass judgement, which is cool. I basically just wanted to see what others thought.

Is it entertaining to watch me disagree with myself? :loco:

Yep, from Glenn's post, it's probably safe to say that the two top slots to be announced last will be a power-metal blow-out. :D

As for me, bring on some traditional prog-metal. At this point, it's all icing, but it has the potential to be amazingly COOL icing. :tickled:

About the only downer to Glenn's announcement is that I can't see Mercenary taking one of the two top slots if they ended up being a returnee, and since they're not 'traditional prog,' it's unlikely they'll be one of the two prog slots announced next Monday. Darnit, there's been a lot of Mercenary love around here, too. :cry:

I think, at the end of the day, most folks will be pleased with this line-up. And no, Glenn hasn't spilled the beans to me yet. :)

Yes, I'm with you angra150! I'd love to see Freedom Call, Rhapsody, Masterplan, Balance of Power, Mangnitude 9, Dionysus....my list can go on and on! I'm ready for some traditional progpower big guns!!!!!!!!