Wish list for PP8! What's yours?

Diabolik said:
Are Arwen even still around...I cannot find the second disc anywhere. Magica are also another great fantasy themed female fronted band. People say they are like Rhapsody...I dont hear it, but they are really good.

Arwen playing would be a guaranteed ticket sale for me.

AngraRULES said:
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Now you got me. But the lyrics DID get me interested, alright? lol

Fair enough (and for the record, I do appreciate some classic Buffett tracks, but that's besides the point).

Look, as I said, I am not here to argue with anyone about this.
You are all cool people to chat with on here.

One thing though that drives me nuts as a Prog Power outsider if you will (as I have not attended the fest), is that EVERY band booked gets automatically praised as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Now I am sure there is indeed something quality and redeeming about most bands, but I would like to see and hear some honest reviews and opinions about bands. If you think a band sucks, don't be afraid to say it!

Freak Kitchen was a perfect example. I stick to my guns in saying that if the band was played for many of you and they were NOT on the Prog Power roster, I would find it hard to believe that as many would get into them. This is not to pick on Freak Kitchen (they are the example here though since they were this years "oddball").

Maybe this is all kudos to Glen in putting together a great fest that has very loyal followers and believers in any band that is booked.

I just sometimes sit back and laugh to myself when someone mentions a band and others say "NO WAY"! because if that band were actually booked, some people would quickly change their tune.

Freak Kitchen was a perfect example. I stick to my guns in saying that if the band was played for many of you and they were NOT on the Prog Power roster, I would find it hard to believe that as many would get into them. This is not to pick on Freak Kitchen (they are the example here though since they were this years "oddball").

Before Freak Kitchen was announced there were really only 3 or 4 people who said they would love to see them, myself included. After they were announced more people than not said WTF, and still only 3 or 4 were extremly excited(Me, BEAR, J-DUBYA) It was after they blew the roof off, and stole the show that everyone jumped on the band wagon. So maybe you ought to go check out some of these bands. Now what happens with Glenn announces a band there are people who will praise him for his choices and then there are those who will say they don't like the choices, with RAINTIME there are more who like them, than don't, and yes we respect Glenn's choices IT'S HIS FESTIVAL.

Jasonic said:
One thing though that drives me nuts as a Prog Power outsider if you will (as I have not attended the fest), is that EVERY band booked gets automatically praised as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

There is some truth to what you say, but it's more than a little overstated I think. Regarding Glenn's picks and recommendations there are actually more like 5 different species of posters you're likely to find here:

1. The glazed eyed Glennophiles to whom you refer. They've never heard or even heard of a band, but they're "sure they'll rule! Thanks Glenn!"

2. Proponents. They know the bands and actually appreciate them.

3. Silent Opponents. They don't like the choices but don't post anything.

4. Civil Opponents. They don't like the bands, and calmly and intelligently post their dissenting opinion.

5. Vulgar Opponents. Use terms like "Fuck No!" "Stupid!" and "Bullshit!" They also tend to use :yuk: :puke: and :erk: .

The majority is made up of group #2. Group #1 is a tiny minority, although their posts tend to stand out blatantly at times. It's decidedly unfair of you extrapolate the characteristics of group #1, and apply them to the majority.

Absolutely not true with the "EVERY band booked gets automatically praised as the greatest thing since sliced bread." There have been more than one or two bands scheduled over the last three festivals I have had the pleasure of attending that did/do absolutely nothing for me musically. Is it something I bitch and moan about? Hell no! I choose to use that time to catch up with friends outside the main stage area, etc. To each their own. When Freak Kitchen was announced, I was in that small minority who was ecstatic to hear that they would be performing, as I have longed to see them since the early 90s. I dare say, your point has very little validity as most of the fans of this festival aren't what I would consider to be Lemmings. ;)

Jasonic said:
Freak Kitchen was a perfect example. I stick to my guns in saying that if the band was played for many of you and they were NOT on the Prog Power roster, I would find it hard to believe that as many would get into them. This is not to pick on Freak Kitchen (they are the example here though since they were this years "oddball")

I'd be going apeshit no matter where they played. Glenn just happens to have the balls to book a band like them, and I think both he, and his festival attendees were quite happy, not to mention the band themselves. Haven't you ever gone to see a familiar band or 2 and not know anything about the middle slot or openers? It's happenend to me qute a few times, and I do like being pleasantly surprised by a band I know nothing about. 2 examples right of the top of my head are Tesla opening for DLR's Eat 'Em & Smile tour just as their first cd was being released, and Illinois natives The Spelunkers opening for Mike Keneally at Martyrs. Never heard a single note, but was floored by their performances. I think Freak Kitchen did this to a lot of unsuspecting people who managed to check out their set. :)

J-Dubya

Pyramaze51 said:
Before Freak Kitchen was announced there were really only 3 or 4 people who said they would love to see them, myself included. After they were announced more people than not said WTF, and still only 3 or 4 were extremly excited(Me, BEAR, J-DUBYA) It was after they blew the roof off, and stole the show that everyone jumped on the band wagon. So maybe you ought to go check out some of these bands. Now what happens with Glenn announces a band there are people who will praise him for his choices and then there are those who will say they don't like the choices, with RAINTIME there are more who like them, than don't, and yes we respect Glenn's choices IT'S HIS FESTIVAL.

Way back, after PP I, I thought I was one the couple lone voices screaming for FK to play this festival, I basically tripped over FK while on the pre-Lars Napster, passed around some MP3s and little by little, the voices grew more numerous each year that went by, and for once, not all the voices resided in my head. :D A lot of people were on the fence, and a few were pretty defiant, but looking back, they sure had one hell of a turnout, and I think they really turned a LOT of heads. There has yet to be a "perfect" lineup for me with this fest, but no matter what, I'll always respect Glenn for his roster decisions, whether I agree with them or not, and more importantly, I'll be attending Prog Power every year I'm able to. There's plenty of room on the bandwagon, jump on now while the gettin's good! :heh:

J-Dubya

I didn't like FK at all based on the clips. Then I listened to IA's solo work, and I became excited to see FK. I sought out some other songs of FK, heard them, and liked them.

So bandwagon? No. Would I have listened to them if not due to PP? Perhaps. Most likely due to somebodys recommendation, or me finding IA on the Favored Nations site.

Magius said:
Regarding Glenn's picks and recommendations there are actually more like 5 different species of posters you're likely to find here:

1. The glazed eyed Glennophiles to whom you refer. They've never heard or even heard of a band, but they're "sure they'll rule! Thanks Glenn!"

2. Proponents. They know the bands and actually appreciate them.

And you have to tread lightly when being as adamant with your disappointment in a selection as these 2 groups are with their praise.

Ascension said:
And you have to tread lightly when being as adamant with your disappointment in a selection as these 2 groups are with their praise.
Can't argue there. Although group 5 is often deserving of whatever ridicule comes their way. Nevertheless group 4 catches some uncalled for shit sometimes.

Well i use this forum as one of my best resources for who to check out next, not just who Glenn ends up signing for the festival. That said - I odnt automatically fawn over anyone he signs up - but I will give them a shot. My process for unknown/unheard by me bands is to download some mp3s - hopefully get around to listening to them - if i like them enuff not to delete them on the spot - they make it to a cd-r and get the car stereo test. If they make it past the car stereo test they get bought as a real cd (hopefully before subjecting them to the home stereo test - sometimes I just hafta hear it even though I know it wount sound as good as on the real cd).

Have I given every band that ended up on the PP lineups a shot? Yep. Have I ended up buying cds from ALL of em? Nope, a lot of em tho. I happen to have simliar taste to Glenn's apparently (which works for me because more often than not I will like a lot of the bands on the lineup). Have I given every band at the fests I've made it to a chance to impress me live? Yep, have they all? Nope. But I won't sti here and talk bad about any of them (unless you hear me say - they werent my favorite or they're good at what they do, it's just not my thing) for a coupel of reasons. 1 - my momma raised me right (if you can't say anything nice, shut the hell up) and 2 - they got the balls and the dedication to get up on the stage and try to live the dream, so for that I gotta give them :headbang: even if it isnt my preferred (vocal style, guitar tone, etc).

So - overly long points - but based on the tastes that Glenn has exhibited from past lineups, and the posts on the forum pertaining to bands - I'd give anyone he brought in a listen - may not like em - but I'd never know if I don't at least give them a shot. Does taht make me a fawning Glenophile? Dunno - if so, I'll add it to my list of other amazing attributes LOL

jeff

You all made some valid points.
Those who oppose definitely remain silent.
Maybe it is out of respect for Glen (which I totally can appreciate, as he definitely deserves respect for his commitment to the fest).

I too have become exposed to bands after first seeing them at a festival.
And other times, I do go out and buy a disc of a band who I am going to be seeing so that I become familiar.