PP USA VIII: Final Band confirmed

I think the only reason some people here in the forum would say Tarja is better has to do with a few factors... And no, Ascension, I am not referring to you brother, you have my word...

1)The fact that Nightwish "appeared" before AF.
2)The fact that Nightwish is a bigger band and sells more.
3)The fact that Tarja has been singer for longer than Floor.
4)The fact that some people here are good friends with the Nightwish peeps and can't see anything bad in the band's music.

Some people seem to not "see" it, it seems. I mean, okay, Tarja is a great operatic singer, that's really all she can do imo.

l guess it just boils down to personal likes/dislikes and at that point fanboyitis begins to kick in. But, l'll probably bail on AF (hell at this point l'll be out after Threshold...PF doesn't tweak me either)unless my gf wants to see them. She's a sucker for a hot chick :loco:

l'm an admitted prog head...even extreme to some extent...and l don't see AF fulfilling the prog need. Do they have elements? Somewhat. But, l would never put them in the same classification as Dream Theater, Fates Warning, or Redemption (a few bands whom l think epitomizes the genre). Especially when you throw in the operatic female vocals & the harsh vocals too. They also have power elements, but l wouldn't call them power metal either.
But, l do applaud the "new blood" choice.

I think you missed the main point of the explanation. It's not about appealing to just the prog fans or just the power fans for that matter. It's about appealing to *both* sides even if it is just a small extent on one side or the other in terms of the bands available. AF fits that bill as well as bringing something new to the fest. Regardless, you and I disagree on just about everything and that's ok.

Besides if you think AF sounds like Nightwish then there is no chance in hell of me ever making sense to you. :heh:

I think the only reason some people here in the forum would say Tarja is better has to do with a few factors... And no, Ascension, I am not referring to you brother, you have my word...

1)The fact that Nightwish "appeared" before AF.
2)The fact that Nightwish is a bigger band and sells more.
3)The fact that Tarja has been singer for longer than Floor.
4)The fact that some people here are good friends with the Nightwish peeps and can't see anything bad in the band's music.

Hey...actually l can agree with you on all those terms. It just seems that AF & others have followed tightly the mold that NW started it all with. Which is exactly why alot of "wannabe Dream Theater" bands never reached the success that DT has.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I almost forgot.. Floor is a KILLER frontwoman, way more so than Tarja. Check out some of her live videos online!! She was born to be a rock/metal singer, while Tarja belongs inside a theatre standing there singing Opera. (Sorry, but I had to be honest now).

Absolutely. I won't be there to prove it, but I can already see most of the audience being truly blown away by her performance. Believe me ;)

I think you missed the main point of the explanation. It's not about appealing to just the prog fans or just the power fans for that matter. It's about appealing to *both* sides even if it is just a small extent on one side or the other in terms of the bands available. AF fits that bill as well as bringing something new to the fest. Regardless, you and I disagree on just about everything and that's ok.

But, you specifically pointed out prog fans...and that statement may not be valid...especially for all.

Harvester said:
Besides if you think AF sounds like Nightwish then there is no chance in hell of me ever making sense to you. :heh:

Truth. :)

Between love & fire is my favourite song from Invisible Circles and also the major reason I hate the album at the same time because they had to cut it in half with that really bad dialogue! ARGH! The part immediately after is awesome but I'm always having to fast forward through the dialogue and am forced to listen to that "Don't pressure me" line

*shakes fist angrily*

But, you specifically pointed out prog fans...and that statement may not be valid...especially for all.

There are no absolutes, only educated guesses. I guess right...I sell tickets. I guess wrong...I don't.

Also, you have to look at the context of the roster including bands booked and available. In this situation, it becomes a matter of which band will have a greater chance of keeping fans till the end. The reason I specifically pointed out the prog fans is that I do not see them staying until the end if Primal Fear were in the 5th positions.

Any band in this equation other than PF & AF is irrelevant.

It's the same guy ... Jay Lansford. He is the goof that screws up the spoken word parts on Invisble Circles, and is also the guy that used to do the narration for Rhapsody. Christopher Lee is the guy that currently does the work for Rhapsody. He's pretty darn good.

Britt

Wrong! :p

Its Staropoli. ( Dark lyrics link: RHAPSODY LYRICS - Dawn Of Victory (2000) )

He is the keyboardist for Rhapsody as well.

Wrong! :p

Its Staropoli. ( Dark lyrics link: RHAPSODY LYRICS - Dawn Of Victory (2000) )

He is the keyboardist for Rhapsody as well.
I don't know what I'm wrong about. Jay Lansford did the male vocal acting on After Forever's Invisible Circles .. it's in the liner notes. Jay Lansford also did narration work for Rhapsody as well. He's been universally panned for terrible voice work. What exactly am I wrong about ??

Rhapsody of Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sir Jay Lansford - Narration 1997 - 2002

Britt

I don't know what I'm wrong about. Jay Lansford did the male vocal acting on After Forever's Invisible Circles .. it's in the liner notes. Jay Lansford also did narration work for Rhapsody as well. He's been universally panned for terrible voice work. What exactly am I wrong about ??

Rhapsody of Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sir Jay Lansford - Narration 1997 - 2002

Britt

You claimed that Lansford was the narrator for Rhapsody, of the song Lux Triumphans DLyrics has Staropoli being there. And I would trust DLyrics over Wikipedia any day..

You claimed that Lansford was the narrator for Rhapsody, of the song Lux Triumphans DLyrics has Staropoli being there. And I would trust DLyrics over Wikipedia any day..
Could be I guess ... I responded to someone that said the Rhapsody narrator was the worst ever .. I didn't know anyone was talking about any song in particular. It's a true fact that Jay Lansford was the narrator on several albums for Rhapody .. do a little google search and you'll find that out. It's also a fact that there are several instances of people panning his work for Rhapsody, and After Forever.

Britt

Why would dark lyrics be more trustworthy? They're both editted by fans. I've found a ton of mistakes on dark lyrics because a lot of times they are transcribed from people listening to promo versions of the album and never updated once the actual CDs are out.
And what exactly are you saying is wrong? It was never claimed that Lansford was the only narrator.

Why would dark lyrics be more trustworthy? They're both editted by fans. I've found a ton of mistakes on dark lyrics because a lot of times they are transcribed from people listening to promo versions of the album and never updated once the actual CDs are out.
And what exactly are you saying is wrong? It was never claimed that Lansford was the only narrator.
Don't you know that some people are never wrong ?

Britt

Because right now I could go onto to Wikipedia and write in that Lansford is the only vocalist and it would stay that way unless someone cared enough to edit it.

And the only cd I found that Lansford did vocals on was Rain of a Thousand Flames.

Don't you know that some people are never wrong ?

Britt

Of course. I'm one of them ;P

I love dark lyrics, personally, but I've used it enough to know that's it's far from perfect.

Very truly yours,
Someone who copied some lyrics directly from there and had a misspelled word in their signature on a messageboard for a few months before noticing it.