The Annual Cryptic Roster Clue Post...

Nightmare1z said:
I hope Silent Force might be one of the returning bands
Hmmm... not sure what Silent Force has done that would boost them from a 2 spot to a 3. I would think the returning bands, since they're being moved to a better time slot, have either done something to improve their standing or were received exceptionally well at a previous PP.

Zod

Glenn, do those clues apply to bands that have played the Pre-Parties?

Also, can you give us any clues about the "backup plan" band?

I'm hoping for Pagan's Mind and Evergrey to be the two returning bands and for Elvenking to be one of the the others. I was hoping for a return from Blind Guardian, but I guess it's not possible for them to move up any. Oh well. It sucks that this also rules out Symphony X and Kamelot but thats ok too. Also, I'm betting on Pyramaze to be in one of the slots as long as they aren't considered American.

General Zod said:
Hmmm... not sure what Silent Force has done that would boost them from a 2 spot to a 3. I would think the returning bands, since they're being moved to a better time slot, have either done something to improve their standing or were received exceptionally well at a previous PP.

Zod

I would agree with what you said above if the band you mentioned was Pagan's Mind. I like Enigmatic Calling, but it's pretty much a clone of Celestial Entrance which I prefer more.

Silent Force will have a new CD out late next summer, just before ProgPower. 2004's "Worlds Apart" was a nice step forward for the band and Glenn has stated the same on this forum. The new album should be even better than "Worlds Apart", if the band continues to push themselves. So, Silent Force certainly seems like higher-than-average possibility, or at least more so than Pagan's Mind.

Unca Kev said:
It sucks that list of clues exempts:

Redemption
Symphony X
Enchant
Dreamscape (who can expect 3 years in a row?)
Kamelot
Conception
Brainstorm
Symphorce

If Kameot/Conception returned, it would be the third straight year that Roy performed at ProgPower. Same for Andy B. Frank if Brainstorm/Symphorce played. And of course, the third year for all the Dreamscape guys. I love all those guys, but would prefer some new faces which appears to be exactly what Glenn has done.

The Fiddler said:
Silent Force will have a new CD out late next summer, just before ProgPower. 2004's "Worlds Apart" was a nice step forward for the band and Glenn has stated the same on this forum. The new album should be even better than "Worlds Apart", if the band continues to push themselves. So, Silent Force certainly seems like higher-than-average possibility, or at least more so than Pagan's Mind.
Those were my thoughts exactly. I thought 'Worlds Apart' was a big step forward for them, as well. I would like to see them return to PP in a 3rd slot. I also would have to bet on Evergrey being one of the returning bands and moving to a headline slot...it has been a few years since they've played PP.

Evergrey would be kinda iffy - yeah, they have a new CD coming out in April and they will hopefully COME BACK TO THE US AND PROMOTE IT ON TOUR (*ahem* no, I'm not fussing about not having seen them since 2004, why do you ask?), but they traditionally have *preferred* the #4 spot so that they have time to hang out afterwards, and rejected the headliner at PP4 for just that reason.

I'm hoping for Thunderstone, but at the same time I'm hoping NOT, because I won't be there and I'll cry if I can't see them.

I can see Evergrey headlining. I'd love to see that, if nothing else because those guys are so damn cool (and a pretty amazing band too).

The other two returnees have to come from the list of:
Threshold
PM
Mercenary
or maybe
Zero Hour.
Jag Panzer might make a cool headliner in place of Evergrey.

New bands: Pyramaze, Stream of Passion are potentials (if Glenn doesn't consider Pyramaze from the US). I'd love to see Riverside, but doubt it based upon Glenn's comments about getting visas from Poland. Green Carnation? I'm having trouble coming up with foreign power metal bands that haven't played in the US. Not to say there aren't that many. I just can't think of any that might be on the list.

General Zod said:

Zod

Well Silent Force *did* kick much ass when they played PP III!!

The Fiddler said:
Woo-Hoo! Morgana Lefay and Mercenary are still possible with those clues! If 7 are making their USA debut, and 2 have already played in the US (at PP) that leaves one band that has already played in the USA, but not at PP. Here's hoping it's Morgana Lefay!

I saw MORGANA LEFAY at Chicago PowerFest this past April and THEY WERE AWESOME! That singer was so cool, seems like the kind of guy you could sit down, tip a few with and just bullshit about anything. I enjoyed them so much, I bought like 3 or 4 of their CD's after the show -- I would FREAK OUT if they were on the bill for PP7.

Swordziness

hmmmm returning bands

Superior
Threshold
VAnden Plas
Pagan's Mind

none of those played in PPV or PPVI

All would be majorly welcome shows that get bumped up! Superior blew the crowd away at their debut..as did VP, Threshold and Pagan's Mind.

I'm hoping one of the debuts is.....Freak Kitchen.....those are eargasms for sure!

And..here's to hoping that for PPVIII we get Redemption, Enchant, and Zero Hour!

Coldie

Pagan's Mind and Mercenary would be my dream returns. Pyramaze and Nocturnal Rites would be great as well. Either or, with our without, Progpower VII will RULE!! Cheers!

Mercenary is in an interesting position. Their last CD, 11 Dreams got kudos worldwide and was released before PPV in August of 2004 but didn't get the US release until February of 2005. Given that they had a 3 slot last time they played, it would have been hard to ask them back at PPVI and not have them move up a slot, which means that they were probably competing with Therion and Conception for a 4 slot at PPV. Even a 3 slot at PPV would have been tough going up against Orphaned Land and PC69.

So the question is, will there still be enough of a buzz about 11 Dreams two years after it's release to invite Mercenary to PPVI, given that they don't put out a new disc before then. I know writing has only just begun and I haven't heard anything beyond that, let alone a release date.

So my best guess for the return bands are Silent Force and Evergrey. Threshold is an option also, but I don't think they ignited the crowd like Silent Force and Evergrey did. (note, I DO like Threshold!, but don't think they are a return band)