Within Temptation
Ivanhoe
Lanfear
Cloudscape
Insania
Narnia
Hourglass
Eldritch

Pay attention hump; most of these bands were already mentioned by either myself or someone else! Although I dod forget about Narnia and they are awesome; especially their last release. The live DVD is fuckin awesome!

At this point I'd say the buzz surrounds Rivel's DivineFire project. Narnia's a solid band, but I don't know that they have enough following to play ProgPower. Glenn hasn't put any straight neoclassical bands in the lineup yet, as far as I can tell. The style is more than played out. What makes Narnia interesting is the Christian lyrics. Which I think have been totally blown away by DivineFire.

Some of the other bands listed also don't seem to be of high enough caliber. In a previous thread Glenn pretty much put the kibosh on Paragon, a band with a few releases under it's belt. Some of the bands mentioned are less well known than Paragon, so I'd say that's a cutoff point unless Glenn takes a particular interest in the band(like Circus Maximus and a few others).

Also remember that in the end Circus Maximus got a pretty good label: Frontiers. Not many bands on the really tiny labels make it to ProgPower. It's mostly Century media, Nuclear Blast, Noise/Sanctuary, Inside Out, etc., with the occasional Massacre band. Some of those bands mentioned in previous posts are on really tiny labels and probably haven't moved even 1000 copies. Which means that even if every fan of those bands came to Progpower, it wouldn't sell out.

It's a policy of PP that the bands must sing in english??

I love Manigance, but I don't know if they are enough of a draw. I also like Avalanch and Red Wine.

Tried to remember what was mentioned above and add to it instead of repeating. That said, I must say that I would just love to see Last Tribe, Morifade, Tarot, Masterplan, Epica, Penumbra and Pyramaze (damn, there are so many). Ok, now for some new suggestions.
Dionysus
At Vance
Balance of Power
Silent Edge
Time Requiem
Theocracy
Platitude

Amarane
Lullacry
Lana Lane
Metallium
Nocturnal Rites
Sinner
Primal Fear
Sinergy
Heavenly
Seven Witches
DGM
Theocracy
Divinefire
Dream Evil
Jeff Scott Soto
Ring Of Fire/ Mark Boals
Force Of Evil
Arhtemis
Shaman
Masterplan
Thunderstone
Hammerfall
Falconer
At Vance
Edenbridge
Iron Savior
Nevermore
Oratory
Epica

Nevermore

They were scheduled to headline ProgPower 1, but (if memory serves me correctly) they changed management and the deal fell through. Glenn has mentioned that he holds no ill will towards the band, and the problems at PPI wouldn't prevent him from booking them for a future ProgPower. That said, I don't know that they're a good fit. Given their status, they'd need to be paid as a headliner. I don't see Glenn bringing in a a band as heavy as Nevermore as a headliner.

Zod

Someone earlier said that Glenn wont book Paragon, why the fuck not? Paragon are totally fucking awesome and I dont think they are that big, at least not America

General Zod said:
Nevermore

They were scheduled to headline ProgPower 1, but (if memory serves me correctly) they changed management and the deal fell through. Glenn has mentioned that he holds no ill will towards the band, and the problems at PPI wouldn't prevent him from booking them for a future ProgPower. That said, I don't know that they're a good fit. Given their status, they'd need to be paid as a headliner. I don't see Glenn bringing in a a band as heavy as Nevermore as a headliner.

Zod
Nevermore would fuckin' destroy Earthlink... :headbang:

Nevermore wouldn't be a good fit simply because they tour the US constantly.

And maybe Glenn has forgiven them for flaking out, but I still haven't. According to what I heard, the reason they cancelled was because they were later offered a European tour during ProgPower time.

booB said:
Nevermore wouldn't be a good fit simply because they tour the US constantly.
So does Iced Earth, who Glenn covets. So does SX, who has played the fest three times. I think Glenn feels that bands who don't tour the U.S. are a bonus. However, selling tickets is his primary objective.

booB said:
And maybe Glenn has forgiven them for flaking out, but I still haven't.
Then it's a good thing you don't tun the fest.

booB said:
According to what I heard, the reason they cancelled was because they were later offered a European tour during ProgPower time.
I got it right from the horse's mouth (no offense Glenn) that it had little to do with the band, and much to do with their management company.

Zod

Dead Soul Tribe
Planet X
Event (reunion gig)
Digital Ruin
Magnitude 9
7for4
Andromeda
The Tangent
Karmakanic

to name a few of my favs (that should indeed be invited to play PP) .....

Lizzard

LizardTracks said:
Dead Soul Tribe
Planet X

I don't even know their music......but any reason to have Allan Holdsworth at Prog-Power is a good one. That would so kick ass! Listen to this guy, Glenn! Pre-party fusion jam session, anyone? :D

Zod, if you want to discuss this in more depth, I'm game:

So does Iced Earth, who Glenn covets.

I don't remember Glenn saying that, but I'll take your word for it. If that's the case, however, I'm sure what Glenn really wants (although I can't speak for him) is something more exclusive than a standard Iced Earth show. Perhaps a "reunion" with Matt Barlow, or perhaps a Demons and Wizards performance. I know for a fact that Glenn has rejected people's ideas for bands time and time again, stating that they already get plenty of exposure in the US.

Then again, there are starting to be more festivals here that are bringing us exclusive acts (such as Powerfest with Morgana Lefay headlining, and BW&BK with Candlemass)... so perhaps exclusivity isn't quite as "exclusive" as it was before. ;)

So does SX, who has played the fest three times.

SX didn't start touring the US until they had played ProgPower USA twice. Not to mention, SX only tours the US approximately once every couple years, and usually as a support act. Iced Earth tours the US approximately once a year on average (possibly slightly more often). Nevermore tours the US several times a year, and is regularly featured on national cable television. Hell, they just co-headlined a major tour with Megadeth. There's a HUGE difference between the US exposure level of Nevermore and that of bands like IE and, especially, SX.

I think Glenn feels that bands who don't tour the U.S. are a bonus. However, selling tickets is his primary objective.

Part of the reason the ProgPower USA festival has sold out so quickly in recent years is because of the exclusivity of the acts. (Although, now that his customer base is pretty much dedicated to being there every year, he could probably book MY previously posted lineup, and still sell out. :) ) Most of the headlining bands are bands that are playing the US for the first time, or bands that are performing with exclusive special/reunion lineups. In the case of bands that have already toured the US, most of them are repeat acts, and were originally featured at ProgPower BEFORE (or at the same time) they toured here originally. Where's the exclusivity of booking a band that everyone in ProgPower attendance has had 178468317 opportunities to see in the past? Who's going to travel hundreds (or even thousands) of miles based specifically on the fact that a band they can see anytime they want will be there? For this reason alone, Nevermore isn't going to draw any extra sales.

Then it's a good thing you don't tun the fest.

As I said before, I'm no Glenn.

I got it right from the horse's mouth (no offense Glenn) that it had little to do with the band, and much to do with their management company.

Regardless, my comment stands.

I know it probably sounds like I'm dissing on a band you like, but I'm not. Nevermore puts on a great and energetic live show, and I've enjoyed them every time I've seen them -- even when they played lots of crappy material from Enemies of Quality Control. I just don't think they're right for ProgPower, at all. Refute my statements and make snide comments ("It's a good thing YOU don't run the fest") all you want; it's not going to change my opinion. I feel Nevermore would be a very poor choice for the fest, unless they decided to play a half-Nevermore/half-Sanctuary show, or something.

SX didn't start touring the US until they had played ProgPower USA twice. Not to mention, SX only tours the US approximately once every couple years, and usually as a support act. Iced Earth tours the US approximately once a year on average (possibly slightly more often). Nevermore tours the US several times a year, and is regularly featured on national cable television. Hell, they just co-headlined a major tour with Megadeth. There's a HUGE difference between the US exposure level of Nevermore and that of bands like IE and, especially, SX.

SX came through Cleveland 3 times in the span of a year touring for the odyssey. They came openning for Blind Guardian, then twice headlining. It isn't fair to say that they only do it once every couple of years, because this was really the first real tour they'd had here, and only once through was openning. I don't know if they've come through for other albums, but everything I've read make me believe they haven't.

I don't know about Nevermore touring the US that often (I'm not a fan), but they're actually one of the OPENNING acts of Gigantour, they aren't even close to headlining. Maybe you meant to say Dream Theater?

Talisman
Freak Kitchen
Jorn Lande (Perhaps with Sy-X on the bill?)
Blue Murder reunion (or whatever band John Sykes has going)
Brazen Abbot
Heaven's Gate
Elegy

I've noticed a few Symphony X tours over the last two years, but I've had horrible luck with a date near me (which would be Atlanta). A lot of good tours just go to Jaxx or somewhere in Virginia and don't do an Atlanta date, which is too bad for me right now. The Devin Townsend/Symphony X tour was a completely awesome pairing, unfortunately no Atlanta date.

booB said:
So does Iced Earth, who Glenn covets. I don't remember Glenn saying that, but I'll take your word for it. If that's the case, however, I'm sure what Glenn really wants (although I can't speak for him) is something more exclusive than a standard Iced Earth show. Perhaps a "reunion" with Matt Barlow, or perhaps a Demons and Wizards performance.
Actually, Jon was at PPIII. If you recall, he introduced Blind Guardian. Part of the reason he was there, was so Glenn could "woo" him, in an attempt to get Iced Earth to headline PPIV. As the story goes, Jon had agreed, but Iced Earth's management asked for way too much money. This was before Barlow left Iced Earth, so it wasn't a reunion Glenn was angling for.

booB said:
So does SX, who has played the fest three times. SX didn't start touring the US until they had played ProgPower USA twice. Not to mention, SX only tours the US approximately once every couple years, and usually as a support act.
SX started touring when they signed to Inside Out. I've seen them six times in support of "The Odyssey", three times as a headliner.

booB said:
Nevermore tours the US several times a year, and is regularly featured on national cable television. Hell, they just co-headlined a major tour with Megadeth. There's a HUGE difference between the US exposure level of Nevermore and that of bands like IE and, especially, SX.
I agree with that. However, I don't see this as a negative, nor would I guess Glenn does. It's obvious Glenn is looking to put together a quality show, and maintain his reputation with bands and patrons alike. But he's a business man. If Nevermore will put asses in the seats, and he doesn't feel their sound would go against the grain of the fest, I'd doubt he'd hesitate to book them.

booB said:
I think Glenn feels that bands who don't tour the U.S. are a bonus. However, selling tickets is his primary objective. Part of the reason the ProgPower USA festival has sold out so quickly in recent years is because of the exclusivity of the acts. (Although, now that his customer base is pretty much dedicated to being there every year, he could probably book MY previously posted lineup, and still sell out. :) ) Most of the headlining bands are bands that are playing the US for the first time, or bands that are performing with exclusive special/reunion lineups.
He's needed the "exclusivity" angle to sell tickets, because the bands he's booked aren't that popular in the states. The necessity for exclusivity is negated when you book bands who can actually draw.

booB said:
Who's going to travel hundreds (or even thousands) of miles based specifically on the fact that a band they can see anytime they want will be there? For this reason alone, Nevermore isn't going to draw any extra sales.
I didn't suggest Glenn book a Nevermore show in Atlanta. I suggested that they would be one of 10 bands performing. The simple fact of the matter is, Glenn is running out of established acts, who can justifably headline this fest, that haven't done so already.

booB said:
I know it probably sounds like I'm dissing on a band you like, but I'm not. Nevermore puts on a great and energetic live show, and I've enjoyed them every time I've seen them -- even when they played lots of crappy material from Enemies of Quality Control.
I don't think your trying to diss a band I like. And even if you were, I'm not the type who takes personal offense when someone doesn't like a band I that I do.

Enemies of Quality Control. :tickled:

booB said:
Refute my statements...
Isn't that what you try to do when you have a friendly debate?

booB said:
...and make snide comments ("It's a good thing YOU don't run the fest") all you want;
I wasn't making a "snide comment", only a joke.

booB said:
...it's not going to change my opinion.
Well, you're most certainly entitled to your opinion. However, if I can in fact refute your your statements, you should at least be open-minded enough to allow your opinion to be swayed.

booB said:
I feel Nevermore would be a very poor choice for the fest, unless they decided to play a half-Nevermore/half-Sanctuary show, or something.
Let's have some fun. Give me the name of six bands that could fill the number five slot, over the next three years. Six bands that have never played the fest (since exclusivity is the goal). Six bands that Glenn could afford. Six bands big enough to draw people from across the world. Six bands that don't tour the states regularly.

Zod

AMBR said:
Balance of Power

BoP already played! Although I'd love to see them again.

I envy all you northerners who have seen Sym X many times. They have ONLY been here with PP until Gigantour. And the money wasn't worth it to me to see them play 45 mins. I guess if I hadn't seen them at PP I would have gone...they are my favorite band.

Anyway from my perspective.. Sym X does NOT tour, but maybe that will change. If they start headlining Atl. dates, then I think they will have outgrown PP. And that is definitely a good thing.

Robin

General Zod said:
SX started touring when they signed to Inside Out. I've seen them six times in support of "The Odyssey", three times as a headliner.

That might just have something to do with the fact that you live in their home state. :D

So if we're running out of established bands........I think if the festival attendees would be more open minded there are a myriad of bands from the progressive/avant-garde metal field that haven't ever been to Prog-Power. Many of them from right here in the US.