Who hasn't played ProgPower yet?

booB said:
Nevermore wouldn't be a good fit simply because they tour the US constantly.

And maybe Glenn has forgiven them for flaking out, but I still haven't. According to what I heard, the reason they cancelled was because they were later offered a European tour during ProgPower time.

Yah but the last few tours theyve played a whopping 20-30 minute long sets. Glenn is the man to give them a full hour+ that they deserve. And I know for a fact when they were touring clubs they only had a $1,500 price tag. This was when they were touring w/ Angel Dust a few years back. Our band was on the bill but I was so sick I couldnt move from playing a fest the night before sick and the drummer was ill as well.

//start edit

Reply to an earlier post;
can we please move on past Barlow? They have.

Also, How is Nevermore not worthy of playing PP? Glenn thinks they are even though they ended up not playing. They're not any heavier than Rage or some of the Odyssey material form Symphony X. Don't even get me started on Mercenary or Into Eternity. Too heavy? Puh-leez.

Nevermore would be a great fit. And no, it wouldn't have to be a 1/2 Sanctuary set. Why does everyone always cling to ideas that will never happen ((at this time Creeps looks at "Conception" on the roster for this year and points out that he is attempting humor)). Besides, 9/10 Nevermore shows they play Battle Angels and sometimes 1 other tune. But I guess if you're going to be THAT picky there's no pleasing you. ((this is a friendly jest)).

Iced Earth at PP would be great as well. I'm not knocking Barlow, but c'mon people. The man's moved on, be happy that the Glorious Burden is probably one of the BEST metal albums to come out for about 2 years. Jon & Co. put out a heartfelt, phenomenal, patriotic (don't get those much) metal album and you still cry over Barlow. Sheesh.

Anyhow.. here's a band that I thought might fit the bill that I don't think anyone's mentioned here;

RACER X

LizardTracks said:
The Tangent
Karmakanic

to name a few of my favs (that should indeed be invited to play PP) .....

Lizzard
ROSFest...The Tangent played this year and Karmakanic are on next year's line-up.

Masterplan/Jorn Lande...either one would be sweeeet!
Royal Hunt
Rob Rock
Fates Warning...but as we all know.
I know some have wanted Accept to play PP, but, on the old-school front, if Glenn got Saxon to play PP...that would rule my world so completely!

Creeps said:
Anyhow.. here's a band that I thought might fit the bill that I don't think anyone's mentioned here;

RACER X

Do they have much American appeal? I though those crazy Japanese fans had taken them away. :lol:

Let's have some fun. Give me the name of six bands that could fill the number five slot, over the next three years. Six bands that have never played the fest (since exclusivity is the goal). Six bands that Glenn could afford. Six bands big enough to draw people from across the world. Six bands that don't tour the states regularly.

Zod[/QUOTE]

I'll give you a few:
1. Sonata Arctica
2. Demons and Wizards
3. Within Temptation
4. After Forever (maybe, but more likely a 3 or 4 spot)
5. I can't think of anymore right now!!!!!

1. Demons And Wizards
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Rhapsody
4. Hammerfall
5. Helloween
6. Masterplan

I don't know about Masterplan. They seem to be pretty popular here....they have Jorn. With another album maybe they could headline. Eventually it seems like you're just going through side-projects of popular metal people. I'd rather have fresh stuff personally.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Do they have much American appeal? I though those crazy Japanese fans had taken them away. :lol:

Like a lot of bands we all like, they have a fairly big underground fanbase,
and by that, I don't mean they're DEAD! :Spin:

Racer-X would be a shreddoriffic good time!

:headbang:

bands mentioned and those not:

Freak Kitchen
Bumblefoot
Green Carnation
Dead Soul Tribe
Wolverine
Alchemist
Devil Doll
Mechancial Poet
Heaven's Cry
Root
The Provenance
Arcturus
Frantic Bleep
Anti Depressive Delivery
unExpect
Woods of Ypres
Moonsorrow
Novembre

Hahahaahah. Mr. Doctor won't even allow already existing material to be released. I can't imagine him coming to Atlanta to do a live concert. However, if it happened, that would be the concert of a lifetime......seeing and meeting Mr. Doctor.

I will travel to anywhere in the lower 48 to see Dream Evil even though they haven't made an album with their new guitarist, bass player, and vocalist yet which is probably why we won't see them at ProgPower anytime soon. I'm sure Glenn wants to see that the new lineup will still bring a good crowd.

Another band I'd like to see is Crystal Eyes although they are also going through a vocalist change.

Other bands I'd like to see simply because they don't make it to the midwest are Chris Cafferey, Seven Witches, and Iced Earth.

Let's have some fun. Give me the name of six bands that could fill the number five slot, over the next three years. Six bands that have never played the fest (since exclusivity is the goal). Six bands that Glenn could afford. Six bands big enough to draw people from across the world. Six bands that don't tour the states regularly.

DAMN... I saw this post too late, and people already took a lot of the obvious ones, like Helloween and Hammerfall. Here are six potential headliners that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread:

Labyrinth
Grave Digger
Morgana Lefay
Iron Savior
Nocturnal Rites
Candlemass

EDIT: I didn't mention Virgin Steele, because David DeFeis reoprtedly HATES playing in the US, and Sentenced, because they're breaking up (although they're not broken up yet, and a headlining slot at PPUSA 7 would be a hell of a way to go out ;) ).

The list of potential #3 slot bands is huge, and the list of #1/#2's is endless, even without repeat bands.

Someone mentioned Heaven's Gate. I WISH. Unfortunately, they're defunct since the early part of the decade. Damn shame, too. But even if they were together, I think they'd be a #3 band.

nightwish58 said:
I'll give you a few:
1. Sonata Arctica
2. Demons and Wizards
3. Within Temptation
4. After Forever (maybe, but more likely a 3 or 4 spot)
5. I can't think of anymore right now!!!!!

In my opinion:
Sonata Arctica is a 3 slot band. I believe at one time Glenn tried to book them as such.

Demon & Wizards would be a great fit. And kudos to Glenn if he can pull it off. However, it's not likely to happen. I recently interviewed Jon. He told me, that they've been offered to headline the biggest festivals in Europe and have truned them down. Jon's and Hansi's schedules are just too complex. Hell, they barely even write together,

Within Temptation is probably a slot #2 band.

After Forever, I would guess is a #3, maybe a #4.

Zod

booB said:
DAMN... I saw this post too late, and people already took a lot of the obvious ones, like Helloween and Hammerfall. Here are six potential headliners that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread:

Labyrinth
Grave Digger
Morgana Lefay
Iron Savior
Nocturnal Rites
Candlemass
Perhaps Glenn will see this thread and can offer some insight here, but I suspect none of those bands, save Candlemass (who doesn't fot the format) is #5 slot band. Morgana LeFay, with the help of the more popular Tad Morose and popular local bands, barely sold out the 350 seat Chicago Powerfest. Last year's BW & BK, at which Grave Digger played, was poorly attended. Iron Savior and Nocturnal Rites, in my opinion, are #3 slot bands at best.

One of your main reasons for not wanting Nevermore is because people have access to them in the U.S. Helloween and Hammerfall just did headlining tours in the U.S. Nevermore hasn't done a headline tour in the U.S. since "Dead Heart", which was five years ago.

By the way, if you don't think Nevermore would go over well with the PP audience, count how many Nevermore t-shirts you see next week.

Zod

General Zod said:
In my opinion:
Sonata Arctica is a 3 slot band. I believe at one time Glenn tried to book them as such.

Demon & Wizards would be a great fit. And kudos to Glenn if he can pull it off. However, it's not likely to happen. I recently interviewed Jon. He told me, that they've been offered to headline the biggest festivals in Europe and have truned them down. Jon's and Hansi's schedules are just too complex. Hell, they barely even write together,

Within Temptation is probably a slot #2 band.

After Forever, I would guess is a #3, maybe a #4.

Zod

I'll be brief in where I would consider the bands:

Within Temptation- 2, perhaps 1 pending other bands
After Forever- 3
SA- 2
D&W- Hell ain't froze over yet

The thing is, we have no shortage of qualified lower slot bands. We'll always have debuts in those slots.

But the number of true headliners seems to be so tiny that it will be difficult for Glenn to avoid repeats. IF that really matters.

Some new bands need to step up. Seems to me that Sonata Arctica is close. Pagan's Mind could be there in one or two albums. Masterplan might be fairly close.

But as of now, it seems that most, if not all, bands that are headliners today were the same bands that were headline-caliber in 2000.

Well, give Shaaman another album or 2 and soley based on the appeal of Andre Matos as being the former lead singer of Angra, perhaps they could be headliner material. Obviously right now, they would be a perfect 3 slot!!!