Who hasn't played ProgPower yet?

adaher said:
But as of now, it seems that most, if not all, bands that are headliners today were the same bands that were headline-caliber in 2000.
Ironically, I think the two bands that have made the most progress, in terms of growing into headliners, are Evergrey and Symphony X. Both band's careers have grown as a result of playing the festival and their presence on Inside Out. That being said, I think there's a somewhat sizeable segment of the ProgPower audience that feels as though they don't want to see these two bands at the festival any time soon. Personally, I'd be happy if they headliner Friday and Saturday respectively.

Zod

Perhaps Glenn will see this thread and can offer some insight here, but I suspect none of those bands, save Candlemass (who doesn't fot the format) is #5 slot band.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But how does Candlemass not fit the format?

Morgana LeFay, with the help of the more popular Tad Morose and popular local bands, barely sold out the 350 seat Chicago Powerfest.

...because it was in Chicago, in the late winter/early spring, at a venue that gets slagged to no end on the internet (often by ProgPower fans). And the most important thing to consider is that the inclusion of Morgana did, in fact, sell a lot of those tickets. Also, this was the first year that the Powerfest show was an international event; for most people, it was the first time they had ever heard of the fest, whereas ProgPower is an established name. Keep in mind that the first ProgPower USA also barely sold out, and it was at the same venue, around the same approximate time -- and it was ALREADY a somewhat established name, through ProgPower Europe.

Last year's BW & BK, at which Grave Digger played, was poorly attended.

BW&BK doesn't get as much attendance partly because it's too diverse. Tons of people don't do because they don't like the "cookie monster" bands, and tons of other people don't go because they don't like the "pussy" and "old-fart" bands. Plus, it's in the Flats district of Cleveland, which is notorious for being a shithole. Put it in Atlanta and see the attendance skyrocket. FYI, the first BW&BK was very well-attended, and Candlemass was the favorite act of most of the attendees.

Iron Savior and Nocturnal Rites, in my opinion, are #3 slot bands at best.

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree, but if Conception, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey and Edguy are headliners, then these bands deserve a shot as well.

One of your main reasons for not wanting Nevermore is because people have access to them in the U.S. Helloween and Hammerfall just did headlining tours in the U.S.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say I don't "want" Nevermore. I just said they're not right for the lineup. And Helloween and Hammerfall have toured the US about the same amount as Angra has (since the 80s, anyway), yet Angra has headlined PPUSA twice. Helloween's two tours spanned about 5-6 dates each, and only hit a tiny portion of the country, missing some of the big metal hot spots.

By the way, if you don't think Nevermore would go over well with the PP audience, count how many Nevermore t-shirts you see next week.

Again, stop putting words in my mouth. I'm well aware of how many people like them. I'm not debating that. A lot of ProgPower attendees like Rush, too, but they wouldn't be right for the show.

The only thing I'm actually SAYING here (which you seem to be turning into all these other statements) is that Nevermore wouldn't fill any seats that wouldn't already be filled, due to their lack of exclusivity. I know a shitload of people who are going specifically for Orphaned Land this year. I don't know ANY Nevermore fan who would pay $100 for a ticket, plus airfare and hotel costs, specifically to see Nevermore. They'd just wait for the next tour they're on, and go see them in their hometown for about $20.

IF Nevermore were to play the ProgPower festival, I'd be willing to admit that they would deserve a #5 slot. But I still don't think they're right for the festival, based on past criteria.

booB said:
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But how does Candlemass not fit the format?
It's a Progressive and Power Metal festival. Candlemass is a Doom band. It would be something new if Glenn was to have a headliner, who was also a "wildcard" band.

booB said:
FYI, the first BW&BK was very well-attended, and Candlemass was the favorite act of most of the attendees. BW&BK doesn't get as much attendance partly because it's too diverse. Tons of people don't do because they don't like the "cookie monster" bands, and tons of other people don't go because they don't like the "pussy" and "old-fart" bands. Plus, it's in the Flats district of Cleveland, which is notorious for being a shithole. Put it in Atlanta and see the attendance skyrocket. FYI, the first BW&BK was very well-attended, and Candlemass was the favorite act of most of the attendees.
I know, I was there. And your first statement seems to run contrary to the rest of your arguement; that BW&BK has drawn poorly because it was too varied or in a bad part of town. When they have good bands, they draw. When they had Grave Digger, they didn't. When they had Nevermore, they did.

booB said:
Again, we'll have to agree to disagree, but if Conception, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey and Edguy are headliners, then these bands deserve a shot as well.
What do any of these bands have to do with Nocturnal Rites and Iron Savior? In my opinion, both bands are #1 or #2 slot band, not headliners.

booB said:
Stop putting words in my mouth.
Relax. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. Nor am I trying to twist your words. Nor am I making "snide" comments.

booB said:
I'm well aware of how many people like them. I'm not debating that. A lot of ProgPower attendees like Rush, too, but they wouldn't be right for the show.
I think they'd be perfect for the show, just not within Glenn's budget.

booB said:
The only thing I'm actually SAYING here (which you seem to be turning into all these other statements) is that Nevermore wouldn't fill any seats that wouldn't already be filled, due to their lack of exclusivity.
You could make that arguement about almost any band. Gold Badges, which make up nearly 30% of the attendees, are purchased blindly. There's a good number of regular ticket holders who go, just to go. Do you honestly think that Nocturnal Rites or Iron Saviour is going to help Glenn sell more tickets than Nevermore?

booB said:
I don't know ANY Nevermore fan who would pay $100 for a ticket, plus airfare and hotel costs, specifically to see Nevermore.
I would. I went to Cleveland to see Nevermore. Went to Gigantour to see Nevermore (Platinum Package, $250. Front row for Nevermore, pricelss).

booB said:
They'd just wait for the next tour they're on, and go see them in their hometown for about $20.
What about the folks who attend this concert who don't live near a big city, and don't get a chance to see Nevermore? What about the people who fly to ProgPower every year from other countries? Might it be possible that Nevermore doesn't play the countries they live in?

I believe you're making way too much out of the exclusivity factor. It's a selling point, but not the only one. At this point, we should just continue this conversation over a beer sometime next weekend.:kickass:

Zod

I don't know that Morgana Lefay is a headliner either.

Iron Savior though, is probably close. Not a #3 unless we're talking about a stacked festival like PPIII.

Evergrey and SymX are probably headliners now, but I don't know that I'd be interested in seeing both on the same festival again.

Perhaps SymX and Gamma Ray for VII?

adaher said:
Iron Savior though, is probably close. Not a #3 unless we're talking about a stacked festival like PPIII.
I'm willing to admit that I may be wrong. However, it just doesn't seem that Iron Savior is as popular as some of the other bands that have been #3s:

Vanden Plas
Angel Dust
Edguy
Pink Cream 69
Brainstorm
Tad Morose

I see a lot more discussion about all of those bands, than I ever have on Iron Savior. And to talk about them in respect to a #5? I'd be really surprised.

Zod

ok, please forgive me, I should know this... but what slot is what?

Are we talking on a 1-5 scale for each night with 5 as the headliner and 1 as the opener?

As far as Nocturnal Rites goes, they opened for Brainstorm and Edguy in Germany, so there is no way they would get a headline slot.

Robin

Harvester said:
D&W- Hell ain't froze over yet
According to the Eagles it has... :D
B000007R0S.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I would gladly pay the money to see a full headline set from Nevermore. I'm dropping the money to see 2 bands this year...Conception & PC 69. The money spent would've been well worth it for Conception alone. I think Nevermore would blow the roof off Earthlink and are perfect for the fest.

They would be the heaviest band to play Prog-Power though, maybe with the exception of Into Eternity. That's what I meant.

I know you guys know the answer to my question!!

"Are we talking on a 1-5 scale for each night with 5 as the headliner and 1 as the opener?"

Please answer, this is driving me crazy.

Robin

Barking Pumpkin said:
They would be the heaviest band to play Prog-Power though, maybe with the exception of Into Eternity. That's what I meant.
Agreed. In one of my first posts, I mentioned that the only thing that should keep them from playing, is if Glenn feels they're too aggressive for the festival.

Zod

Morgana Lefay a headliner?
Gimme a damn break... Are you placing them as high as bands like Gamma Ray, Conception, Angra, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Edguy, Stratovarius and Savatage???

Geez....

Pellaz said:
Glenn didn't think Nevermore were too "aggressive" back in 2000....
They have enough lighter moments, diversity, light and shade, in their music, that they wouldn't be just 90 min. of relentless ass-kicking. Though, 90 min. of Nevermore would kick huge amounts of ass! :headbang:

Believe In Nothing... :worship:

Barking Pumpkin said:
Yeah....that confused me too. :D

Yep, you've got it right. 5 is the headlining slot and 1 is the opener.

That is what I thought, but then I saw that Glen would book SA as a slot 2 and couldn't believe it.

Wow, I'm shocked that Glen considers Sonata Arctica a 2. I completely disagree with that placement and it is not just because I love their music.

Sure they only have 4 cds, but I they seem really popular in the scene. They are currently headlining their own tour in Europe and a few dates in the US (I will probably travel to one of them).

They even have Symphorce, who is a #2 slot this year, opening for them! After Forever only has 3 full length cds as far as I can tell. And last year the 3rd slot bands Brainstorm and Tad Morose were opening for Edguy on tours. I think Brainstorm is just now big enough to headline their own shows.

IMO if a band is big enough to headline a world tour they should at least get a 3rd slot. Hell, if they are a 2 then I'd love to see the kick ass, stacked line up Glen would have to have to a lot keep people from being upset. If you judge SA's popularity by this forum, you'd give them a 4 or a 5 slot. I wonder if Glen wanting them as a 2 has anything to do with them not being here this year; probably not, but it has me thinking...

I am very curious how Glen decides this stuff. I'm sure he has access to a bunch of wonderful data that I don't have access to. I would love to here Glen's explaination for this if he would share it. Glen, I trust your all mighty wisdom and judgement, but this I do not understand. Care to enlighten me/us?

Robin

Pellaz said:
Glenn didn't think Nevermore were too "aggressive" back in 2000....
Agreed. But in the five years since then, the only two bands that are nearly as agressive are Into Eternity and Mercenary, #1 and #2 slots respectively. Would Glenn go with someone that agressive as either a #4 or a #5?

Zod

Morgana Lefay a headliner? Gimme a damn break...

Yeah, I'm a complete fucking moron... haven't you figured that out yet?

Jesus Christ. I'm sorry I even joined this thread. Excuse me for answering Zod's question and offering my picks. I should know better than to offer opinions that differ from the status quo.