Who hasn't played ProgPower yet?

Pyramaze51 said:
You know the more i look at it, I think you are right so let's delete Sonata Arctica, bring in DREAM EVIL. Delete Freedom Call and bring in say either BATTLELORE or DRAGONFORCE, would that make it worthwhile to come?????
Isn't going from Sonata Arctica to Dream Evil going from happy Metal to silly Metal? And while I'd take DragonForce over Freedom Call (hell, I'd take Vixen over Freedom Call), haven't you merely exchanged one generic Power Metal band for another? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing DragonForce. I just don't think you've shaken up the line-up much with this swap.

I like the selections of Pyramaze, Lanfear and Freak Kitchen. However, Freak Kitchen is the only Prog band on the roster, and they're more Rock than Metal.

And where's the wildcard band?

Zod

General Zod said:
Isn't going from Sonata Arctica to Dream Evil going from happy Metal to silly Metal? And while I'd take DragonForce over Freedom Call (hell, I'd take Vixen over Freedom Call), haven't you merely exchanged one generic Power Metal band for another? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing DragonForce. I just don't think you've shaken up the line-up much with this swap.

I like the selections of Pyramaze, Lanfear and Freak Kitchen. However, Freak Kitchen is the only Prog band on the roster, and they're more Rock than Metal.

And where's the wildcard band?

Zod
i see you point, lets see how we can really change it. As my oddball lets get rid of Dream Evil and add FINNTROLL. Take Dragonforce out and insert ARCHETYPE

Pyramaze51 said:
i see you point, lets see how we can really change it. As my oddball lets get rid of Dream Evil and add FINNTROLL. Take Dragonforce out and insert ARCHETYPE
I'm down with both of those changes. Though I think Glenn has said he would never have a band that onlu used Death vocals.

By the way, I'm very curious to hear the next Archetype. Though I wish they hadn't gotten rid of their singer.

Zod

From what I've heard from the two bands, I would much prefer Sonata Arctica to Dream Evil. I listened to the title track from 'The Book Of Heavy Metal' and they used just about every cliche ever seen in metal music in the first minute. Sonata Arctica + Dragonforce sounds like a decent combo...as opposed to switching out both the "happy" bands. Nothing wrong with "happy" bands. :p

I really don't know either band, but "Destruction Preventer" by Sonata Arctica was one of the first power metal songs I heard.

Again your right i forgot about Finntroll and Glenn's saying no band with nothing but Death vocals. Let's try again We insert PROTOTYPE For Fintroll, and i kinda like PANTOMIND also. How is that ZOD????

Pyramaze51 said:
Again your right i forgot about Finntroll and Glenn's saying no band with nothing but Death vocals. Let's try again We insert PROTOTYPE For Fintroll, and i kinda like PANTOMIND also. How is that ZOD????

Pantommind is a cool band, and I also agree with Black Majesty although I would put them as an opener on the main stage rather than the pre-party. I just happen to love all of the Australian prog/power metal bands. They just had a special show in Australia with 4 great bands:
1. Vanishing Point
2. Black Majesty
3. Eyefear
4. Voyager
I don't think Glenn could go wrong with any of them. Vanishing Point's new album Embrace the Silence is incredible!!!!

Joe-× said:
If I say Mystic Force, will Glenn be the only one to get the joke? Will he find it funny? Is it even funny? Certainly it's ironic, but maybe I'm just being a total prick. Would he spell it "Misty Forts" on the t-shirt? Would anyone find that funny? These are the things I think about late at night when I ought to be drinking instead.

Is the joke that the guy in charge of the Powermad fest (and Siegen Records) was in Mystic Force, or that he's not exactly performing any decathlons soon?

I don't often say much nice about the 90s/00s bands, but Man Vs. Machine was pretty damn cool, if nearly impossible to find and keep. I would have except my copy was scratched in an unplayable way by a visiting kitty.

nightwish58 said:
Pantommind is a cool band, and I also agree with Black Majesty although I would put them as an opener on the main stage rather than the pre-party. I just happen to love all of the Australian prog/power metal bands. They just had a special show in Australia with 4 great bands:
1. Vanishing Point
2. Black Majesty
3. Eyefear
4. Voyager
I don't think Glenn could go wrong with any of them. Vanishing Point's new album Embrace the Silence is incredible!!!!
I thought i was the only one that liked the Australian prog/power scene. EYEFEAR is incredible and so is VOYAGER, lets recommend them to Glenn and have hime take a listen and who knows we may have one or two of them in the future. :headbang:

hehe.. Vixen.. heheheh

Anyhow, after reading a lot of these posts, I'd have to hear some soundclips from a lot that I'm not familiar with. But, I don't see Masterplan as a headliner. To me, they'd be the 3rd slot band that everyone talks about.

Freedom Call & Sonata, maybe if you split them up 1 Friday & 1 Saturday. And as silly as many of you believe they are, I still dig Dream Evil no matter how cheesey some may think they are. But they're really not that different than many other bands everyone else here praises.

Dream Evil fucking owns!!! As soon as I heard ''Made of Metal'' from Evilized I proclaimed it as my theme song!! I fucking love that song!! Fuck I gotta listen to right now.

BenMech said:
Is the joke that the guy in charge of the Powermad fest (and Siegen Records) was in Mystic Force,
Well, yes. That was the joke. It really isn't all that funny. More ironic. I just remember going to those things from 1997 thru 2000 and thinking - there's got to be a better way. Keith had high hopes for Powermad, but, like many a bad executive, his execution never quite lived up to his vision. Many of us offered him help - to no avail. I think in some way the whole Powermad experience or inexperience is what led to ProgPower. I remember talking with Glenn (I'm am getting absolutely zero points on all this Glenn name dropping - even the troll did better) in 2000, and he told me about his plans for Chicago. At the time, I thought he was nuts. I truly thought that he was going to totally lose his shirt on the whole thing. Maybe he did the first couple of years and I never figured that out, I don't know. What I do know is that it took more balls than I'll ever dream of having to even attempt such an undertaking. To have excelled at it as he done is quite impressive. OK, enough of the praise. Anyway, the whole joke was directed more towards "here is how it ought to be done" than anything else. I was a slow learner on Man vs Machine, but I think it's quite excellent. I was not intending to crack on his musical abilities as much as his organizational skills. Really, it never even bothered me too much the years that I went - once I survived the '97 show, I knew what to expect. Despite the flaws, I always had a good time. It had a silly charm about it.

BenMech said:
or that he's not exactly performing any decathlons soon?
This is the disadvantage to being a fuckhead. I had no idea he was still having problems. I got the impression from the last Mystic Force thread at PMX that things were back to normal. Can I claim black humor (the last refuge of internet fuckheads) on this board?

Joe

ReaLM said:
Virgin Steele
Shaman
Nocturnal Rites
Lost Horizon
Heavenly
Concerto Moon
Primal Fear

Beauty and the Beast bands:
Epica
After Forever
Within temptation
Penumbra

Oddballs:
Arcturus
Hollenthon

Shoot there are others that I can't think of right now... I'll post them when I do.

Of course this doesn't include bands that will never play PP like Ayreon, Helloween, Hammerfall, Rhapsody or Iron Maiden... etc...

Lost Horizon is no more, they are HEED now.

Bear

And those about who MIGHT/SHOULD be playing at PP. Why? Coz this is where I discover all the bands I need to check out mp3s of. If I can find enough mp3s of a band I'll burn it onto a disc (I will occasionally give one or two them a listen before burning but not usually) throw it in the car stereo and if I like it after either sitting in traffic or driving up into the mountains - it's a "buy" - if not, then I have another coaster :)

So keep throwing the names out there - inquring minds wanna know. My local "indy" type cd shop only had some of the bigger bands on the bill (Epica, Nevermore) - so if Mosh Pit doesnt have them (last year they didnt have any of the bands playing) then it looks like it will be internet orders for the rest of the bands on this years bill.

Hail & Kill (hmmm, could today be mediation day lol)
manowarfan1