Cheers and Jeers

You cant go wrong with Canon. Start with a basic DSLR and buy a lens or 2 besides the one its equipped with. Spend some time with it. I took over 400 shots of the moon one night learning how to use the camera in dark settings. I revisited the camera at a football game one week before the festival to practice with the dark settings, motion blur etc...Without that practice it could have been a nightmare, similiar to last year where all 2000 photo's have blur to them, with the exception of a few of Elise Ryd's ass (how did those get on my memory stick???)
By next year my goal is to be a master at photo's so I can get some top notch photo's (though I am kinda impressed with a few that I got this time around)

Yeah, bro, get a lanyard...saves on the trouble of wrenching that thing out of your cargo shorts pockets every time you go through a door. If you don't like wearing it around your neck, you can put in on a belt loop like I do.

Yeah, bro, get a lanyard...saves on the trouble of wrenching that thing out of your cargo shorts pockets every time you go through a door. If you don't like wearing it around your neck, you can put in on a belt loop like I do.

Seriously. I've used the same cheap lanyard for ten years now and have never required more than a quick glance from security.

Jeers:
Circus Maximus for not bringing any merchandise and also giving the vendors so little stock of Nine. You are playing EIGHT SONGS from Nine. Everybody here and their dogs expect there to be enough copies of that album at each vendor in the vendor room to need more than fingers to count. I held off on buying Nine Friday afternoon in favor of buying it from the band and couldn't get it later that afternoon from anybody. Myrath played Friday and there were tons of copies of all three of their albums, and most of them were gone after the fest, with only Tales of the Sands intact. Think of the Nine sales Circus Maximus could have racked up. I don't care if the album is hard to get (which I disbelieve): there was a FULL YEAR to get back copies.

The band has nothing to do with what is stocked by the vendors. Their label wasn't one of the vendors either. And you had a FULL YEAR to buy the thing before the fest yourself.

The band has nothing to do with what is stocked by the vendors. Their label wasn't one of the vendors either. And you had a FULL YEAR to buy the thing before the fest yourself.

Not to mention that Circus Maximus had announced they wouldn't be playing ANY songs they had previously played in North America. Considering they had played 90% of their material live at PPUSA before, it was kind of common sense to expect that.

Bottom line - if you're THAT worried about not knowing the songs at the show, buy the album in advance.

Wolverine for being the only band I saw that actually ran around the venue,

Are you kidding? I couldn't walk ten feet without tripping over a band member all weekend - just in the venue, completely disregarding the Courtyard. Besides Wolverine, I constantly saw people from Wolf, Damnation Angels, Xandria, Circus Maximus, Myrath, Into the Silence, CIIC, Rhapsody, etc - even at least one of the Shadow Gallery guys was around. A lot of it is just timing - some weren't there for very long, especially those that had to move on to other shows - but they were there, I can assure you.

The best thing you can do - and I am honestly not being snarky here - is to ask a few people if they've seen a particular band you're looking for. If you get the right person and the band is around, they'll probably even introduce you.

Wolverine for being the only band I saw that actually ran around the venue, as I bumped into them at least ten times and got to know them very well, and to Stefan Zell for packing copies of Communication Lost so I could buy one when the vendors ran out. See the top entry of Jeers for what not to do.

You clearly must have not gone to the same show everyone else did.

ManipulatorGeneral404 said:
The security for asking me for my gold badge 4,000 times and nearly driving me to buy a $2 lanyard.

*facepalm*

Are you kidding? I couldn't walk ten feet without tripping over a band member all weekend - just in the venue, completely disregarding the Courtyard. Besides Wolverine, I constantly saw people from Wolf, Damnation Angels, Xandria, Circus Maximus, Myrath, Into the Silence, CIIC, Rhapsody, etc - even at least one of the Shadow Gallery guys was around. A lot of it is just timing - some weren't there for very long, especially those that had to move on to other shows - but they were there, I can assure you.

I couldn't turn around without seeing someone from DA it seems. I got pics with several band members, none of which were from the signing sessions.

Hell, I was taking corset photos with some of the women in the lobby, and the DA guys wanted in on that conga line of gorgeous ladies... You really can't turn around without finding SOME band member within twenty feet in there.

Let me clarify a bit.

Are you kidding? I couldn't walk ten feet without tripping over a band member all weekend - just in the venue, completely disregarding the Courtyard.

I only watched a few bands because I was busy signing, visiting friends, etc. I saw many band members throughout, but out of what I saw, I only ran into Wolverine around the venue more than just one brief instance, is what I mean. This isn't a Jeer for the other bands, but a Cheer for Wolverine.

Bottom line - if you're THAT worried about not knowing the songs at the show, buy the album in advance.

And you had a FULL YEAR to buy the thing before the fest yourself.

I knew Nine from Spotify and other legal services, so not knowing the songs was not a concern to me at all; I knew the whole set well enough to follow along the whole way, even the epic. Not having the album yet was because I wanted to buy it at the venue from the band or someone, even for more cash than I would pay to an online nobody. There was a friend of mine who had never heard anything by CM before, and by the time the band played, he was over 24 hours late trying to buy the album that had almost everything he had heard at the concert. My Jeer is simply that the vendors did not have enough stock of Nine to accommodate people who couldn't help but hear it at the concert or to last until they actually played, as compared to Myrath who did everything else the same but brought enough copies of Tales of the Sands to satisfy everyone, and still had a stack of it left over Saturday night even though they played a whole day earlier. For a band that's not playing, a lack of stock barely matters if at all, but for a band playing who's as popular as Circus Maximus, I don't approve, and I am not anywhere close to alone on this.

I should amend one of my Jeers. Yes, the security should be checking the badge, but I still just don't like that we have to pay for a lanyard to avoid that. Suck it up one way or the other if you don't like it, though, just like the other Jeers.

but I still just don't like that we have to pay for a lanyard to avoid that.

Holy fuck! I have heard a lot of irrational bitching and complaining over the past 14 years. but you have just taken it to a level previously unknown to man. Congrats! Perhaps you can get a discounted shoestring in advance to wear next time instead of the lanyard? That should save you about $1.15? Or perhaps steal some yarn? I know knots can be tricky and all, but I have confidence in you to pull it off.

Glenn

P.S. Are you the same person that I emailed the Gold Badge mailing list about after the festival? Please be him so I can narrow my list rather quickly via your IP address with the Ultimate Metal registration.

My Jeer is simply that the vendors did not have enough stock of Nine to accommodate people who couldn't help but hear it at the concert or to last until they actually played, as compared to Myrath who did everything else the same but brought enough copies of Tales of the Sands to satisfy everyone, and still had a stack of it left over Saturday night even though they played a whole day earlier. For a band that's not playing, a lack of stock barely matters if at all, but for a band playing who's as popular as Circus Maximus, I don't approve, and I am not anywhere close to alone on this.

Myrath's label was a vendor, so of course they had a ton of Myrath CDs. That's their job. Circus Maximus's label was not there, so it was up to the vendors to decide how much of a year-old title to stock. It's a risk on their part, especially after having seen them stock other performers' titles and not selling them. Either way, the bands themselves have zero input into those decisions.

I'm trying not to play "pile on the new guy" here, but it might pay to watch some threads and ask some questions before slamming every little thing you didn't like.

Holy fuck! I have heard a lot of irrational bitching and complaining over the past 14 years. but you have just taken it to a level previously unknown to man. Congrats! Perhaps you can get a discounted shoestring in advance to wear next time instead of the lanyard? That should save you about $1.15? Or perhaps steal some yarn? I know knots can be tricky and all, but I have confidence in you to pull it off.

Glenn

:lol:

Glenn

P.S. Are you the same person that I emailed the Gold Badge mailing list about after the festival? Please be him so I can narrow my list rather quickly via your IP address with the Ultimate Metal registration.

Thank you!

Glenn

(Starts the chant...) Glenn, Glenn, Glenn, Glenn, Glenn, Glenn!!!

I was wondering the same thing......bitching about a $2 lanyard, WTF....I'm sure 99.9% are glad you have them there and don't have to go searching for one, heck, I buy one every year to stock up, great lanyards!!!