Headliners Prediction

cynic headline?

i wasnt aware they were big enough, id much rather see another band in that spot personally.

They were supposed to headline MDF and then dropped off because of the Aeon Spoke European tour. Because they never officially played the US for their reunion gigs, they could be a big draw. Further, if they could headline over Zyklon and Malevolent Creation, who sell more albums worldwide than 90% of ProgPower 9's roster (which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing... just a point) then they could easily headline this fest.

Cynic is definitely at headline status, but, they only have enough material to do about 45-55 min set if they play all of Focus plus those two new songs, maybe throwing in an improv jam or resurrecting some demo-tape material. If Glenn could pair them with another one-album-wonder band of similar visibility we could get two headline mini-sets, which would be entertaining, but wouldn't happen in reality.

As for Metal Church, I would love that and it would guarantee my ticket & attendance, but I'm not expecting it to happen this year or ever really, as there does not seem to be much demand from other than a couple of people.

They were supposed to headline MDF and then dropped off because of the Aeon Spoke European tour. Because they never officially played the US for their reunion gigs, they could be a big draw. Further, if they could headline over Zyklon and Malevolent Creation, who sell more albums worldwide than 90% of ProgPower 9's roster (which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing... just a point) then they could easily headline this fest.

As much as I like Cynic, I really don't think they could headline this festival. Tech-metal just isn't a huge draw. Look at Powerfest and Atheist. I'd argue that Atheist is more well known than Cynic, but they didn't bring much of a crowd.

As much as I like Cynic, I really don't think they could headline this festival. Tech-metal just isn't a huge draw. Look at Powerfest and Atheist. I'd argue that Atheist is more well known than Cynic, but they didn't bring much of a crowd.

Last year's Powerfest had a poor overall lineup though. Lethal as a headliner? C'mon! (even Mystic Prophecy wasn't headlining material) Very rarely can you rely on ONE band as your primary draw. Athiest on their own brought in plenty of people, but not enough to justify all those other bands with a very limited fanbase. Anyways as I said, if Cynic could headline over ZYKLON and MALEVOLENT CREATION, who are bigger names than pretty much every band confirmed for PP this year right now, I don't see why they couldn't headline PP.

Tech-metal just isn't a huge draw.
Cynic is definitely more progressive than anything else. In fact, they didn't even bring their keyboardist/growler on tour because he wouldn't be doing a whole lot of work to begin with (growls and keys were backtracked as a result). And not that it pertains to this discussion, but Necrophagist (among others- including the band in your sig ;)) would beg to differ with that statement.

I haven't got a clue. But am I the only one that does not see Brainstorm as a headliner? According to Glen, the headliners were going to cement the ProgPower name. I don't think promoting Brainstorm to headliner would do that.

You must be kidding Brainstorm as a headliner would be Awesome, who better to kick our ass for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Than Andy and the boys.:OMG::OMG::OMG:

I am probably in the same boat as you FatesFan. As it stands at this very second, I would not attend the festival. The headliners will be very key to if I go. I definitely would have gone if Dio was one of the headliners. I still can't believe that Dio was possibly an option at one time. It will be interesting how this plays out. This might be one of the years where I just go to the Showcase and leave before the main event.

I don't have any new ideas, but I am going to jump on the Helloween bandwagon. It just seems to me that Helloween is a band that at one point needs to headline this festival.

I don't have any new ideas, but I am going to jump on the Helloween bandwagon. It just seems to me that Helloween is a band that at one point needs to headline this festival.

Definately agree.
Also like to see IRON FIRE , WOLF from the motherland as well as VANISHING POINT or TRANSCENDING MORTALITY from Australia on there some day but of course not as headliners.:)
Hope to get over to it too soon.:kickass:

Also, I remember them saying that they weren't going to play in the US anymore. Certainly, things could change, but it doesn't seem likely. (and I like everything they have done, including Be.)

Daniel's problem was with fingerprinting-upon-US-entry, a practice that was dropped by US Customs....so in theory, they could play. I just can't see it, though, and I stand by my 'too divisive' comment. They are not one of the power-metal headliners Glenn needs at this juncture.

Rhapsody is a possibility. They haven't really toured in support of their last CD and haven't played the US in what would be over 3 years by the time ProgPower rolls around. At this point, they would need something like ProgPower to help bring them back to the top.

An oft-overlooked possibility. There are many who hate them with a passion, but there are many who'd travel to see a special set from them, or a one-off.

By September 2008, Nightwish will have toured the US 3 times. It would be suicide to book them for ProgPower.

Yep. They'd have to do an amazingly special set -- or have become really big here in the States in the meantime -- to be worthwhile.

For me I'd probably guess Cynic and Rhapsody.

I'd love to see Cynic, but I don't think they're the 'get power-metal asses in the seats' headliner Glenn needs at this point either. :)

You must be kidding Brainstorm as a headliner would be Awesome, who better to kick our ass for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Than Andy and the boys.:OMG::OMG::OMG:

I don't know if I could handle Andy having my ass for 2 hours (a reference to the "All of your asses are mine" comment he made)....

My Prediction: An alternative....how about the bands already at the next PP doing an Ayreon album? Everyone keeps saying that creating a show like that (with all the original singers) would be too expensive, and I agree--but if we can get an all-star jam at the end of this year's show, why could we not get an all star jam doing, say, 01011001?