PP USA VII: Band #5 confirmed

Folks;

First, let me apologize to Glenn. I apologize if you were offended. Didn't mean to. But, unfortunately, one never knows what happens in the go0d intentions when you post on boards. If it came off as an attack, it was not meant to be.

Second: I do not care if Matias was signed by Les Paul and anointed by Jimi Hendrix. Freak Kitchen is not that good. And, yes, they remind me of the days of spandex and AquaNet aka WARRANT! As for me, I'd rather hear another hour of Wastefall. Man, do they kick some @$$....and I only found them a month ago. Maybe it is taste. But, I have been around the block enough times to have an understanding of what good stuff is. For me, Freak Kitchen isn't it.

Peace,
Ray C.

Stingray11214 said:
Folks;

As for me, I'd rather hear another hour of Wastefall. Man, do they kick some @$$....

All cool Ray, no hard feelings from anyone towards you, I can almost guarantee. And I do agree about Wastefall for an extra hour. Freak Kitchen is good but Wastefall imo is better. =)

Stingray11214 said:
Folks;

First, let me apologize to Glenn. I apologize if you were offended. Didn't mean to. But, unfortunately, one never knows what happens in the go0d intentions when you post on boards. If it came off as an attack, it was not meant to be.

Second: I do not care if Matias was signed by Les Paul and anointed by Jimi Hendrix. Freak Kitchen is not that good. And, yes, they remind me of the days of spandex and AquaNet aka WARRANT! As for me, I'd rather hear another hour of Wastefall. Man, do they kick some @$$....and I only found them a month ago. Maybe it is taste. But, I have been around the block enough times to have an understanding of what good stuff is. For me, Freak Kitchen isn't it.

Peace,
Ray C.

Just curious what your making your opinions based off? You couldn't have possibly heard the albums?

Bear

Bear said:
Just curious what your making your opinions based off? You couldn't have possibly heard the albums?

Bear

Bear;

There are enough downloads out there that you can get a few songs. Just hop the net.

Peace,
Ray C.

Stingray11214 said:
Bear;

There are enough downloads out there that you can get a few songs. Just hop the net.

Peace,
Ray C.

Trust me I am hopping all over the place. I just totally disagree with your assesment of Freak Kitchen, I think your way off.

Bear

Bear: FYI for Lucretia's mentioned bands -

Do you recall Tristania's Widow's Weeds and Beyond the Veil albums (pomp Beauty/Beast broadway score stuff from Norway late 1990s)? If so, the writer was Morten Veland - who quit after Beyond the Veil and formed . . . Sirenia.

Ascension said:
Uumm nope...Vai never played in Van Halen...with Eddie that would never even be a consideration. Vai did play in DLR's solo endeavor however. Hell...Vai plays the way he does because of Eddie. Eddie write the book for others to read & follow...including Freak Kitchen's player.
Props to you for mentioning Petrucci.

Bah you are right. Messed that up. Yeah... I have to love Eddie Van Halen... I don't care if some say he became the most 'pop-friendly' out of most of the great guitarists.

I need to get Eric Johnson's Bloom album... just to hear it.

Harvester said:
Cheiron said:
, and guitars just sounded like out of 'How to play metal quote]

I can completely understand not liking Freak Kitchen. However, the above comment simply blows my mind. Perhaps you were just commenting on the riff instead of the actual solos.

Mattias is one of the most respected guitarist in the world and is signed to Steve Vai's label. Hell, they just jammed together on stage recently. He also has major guitar endorsement deals and some incredible solo instrumental albums.

Betwen that and the "Korn" comment :confused: , I simply think you are letting your biasness of the musical style effect your objectivity in evaluating talent.

That's ok..to each their own.

Glenn H.

/me hides behind Glenn

Yeah! What HE said! :Spin:
(without the cussing that would have come from me!) hehehehehe:tickled:

J-Dubya

yardleybates said:
J-Dubya -- I'd like to make a formal request that you purchase some adult incontinence products before the night of the fest. There seem to be lots of bodily fluids escaping your person without your control :ill:

just pullin your leg there JDub :wave:

No, I refuse! I'll make sure to eat a lot of cheese before the event starts... :ill:

And who says it's beyond my control? :D

J-Dubya

BenMech said:
I'd just add that perhaps if Deron/Glenn uploaded "Silence!" or "Jerk" or "Razor Flowers" instead of the Organic tunes, there'd be more positive reactions.

I'll even host them if IA and/or Glenn give me the ok.....

J-Dubya

Bear said:
Ray you have no clue what your talking about. Freak Kitchen is metal. To boot they are thought provoking political with a great sense of humor that may be lost on most, namely you. Mattias Eklundh deserves to be on this stage just as much as any other performer that has ever played Prog Power USA or Europe.

Bear

/me claps

When did Helen Keller start attending Prog Power????????????

J-Dubya

Wayniac said:
Why do I have the feeling that if there wa s Behind the scenes Pt 2, Freak Kitchen would give the crew enough material by themselves... how the hell are we supposed to store a bull penis!??! lol
I have heard IA on Freak Guitar 1.. .all I have to say is prepare for the metal version of Zappa or Devin Townsend

I'm trying to research the whole bull penis thing. Somehow I think it may have been a a very large vibrator/dildo, referred to as a bull penis. I will try to get an answer.....

J-Dubya

Meteornotes said:
All I can say is...YES!!!!

I have wanted to see this band live ever since I heard a song a billion years ago on Jaxx's radio show. I am a huge fan, and think they're going to blow people away at PP.

And Mary and I are pround to be sponsors again at the best festival in the US. So far this line up is kicking much ass (I'm not sure about Savage Circus, but they'll probably be fun live). Thanks Glenn!

dt

I saw that that Dave! Congrats! The only sponsor for this band I don't know is Pyramaze John. :headbang:
:worship: to Glenn for making it happen!

Now that's what I wanted to see! I can't wait to see these guys live! I knew they would create quite a rift in this crowd if they were added to the bill, but I'll be one of the diehards who sticks around after everybody's Blind Guardian clone gets off the stage. Don't get me wrong. I dig what Savage Circus does. I just don't find anything truly special about it. Freak Kitchen, on the other hand, sounds like nothing else out there right now. I think the best description I can give people is this: take King's X, make them a good band, throw in a ton of Zappa-esque lyrics, and add a guitarist that sounds like the bastard child of Steve Vai, and you have the recipe for disaster that is Freak Kitchen. I think they're more of a hard rock band than a metal band, but they are certainly progressive in the sense that they take a very unique approach to playing hard rock. You never know exactly what direction they'll take in a song. Glenn, you have made a wise choice.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al said:
I think the best description I can give people is this: take King's X, make them a good band, throw in a ton of Zappa-esque lyrics, and add a guitarist that sounds like the bastard child of Steve Vai, and you have the recipe for disaster that is Freak Kitchen.

Yeah, I was just listening to a couple tracks yesterday and suddenly thought "KING'S X"......

Have been trying to find osme mp4s of these guys since the "predictions" phase of the forum heated up - they sound pretty good to me. I dont see any Warrant comparisons - when I listen to them I headr bands like Galactic Cowboys, Kings X - and that's okay by me :)

They way I see it - if I give em a shot live and am not digging it - taht is when I'll get a beer (saving my seat with a half eaten hot dog or piece of pizza of course) - but I think these guys may surprise a few people. I am sure that some of the people led when PC69 came on - but of those who stayed they surely made some fans.

I think FK will do the same this year. The best thing about this years lineup sofar is that it is not all bands that i have heard extensively before. There are already some that i have to find in a cd shop to even evaluate - that is one of the best things about this forum and this fest :)

Thanks Glenn, looking forward to the next announcement(s)
manowarfan1/jeff

J-Dubya 777 said:
I saw that that Dave! Congrats! The only sponsor for this band I don't know is Pyramaze John. :headbang:
:worship: to Glenn for making it happen!
Don't worry J-Dubya we will get to know each other and party hardy, as this is my first PP i am all hyped up. Already have plane and hotel reservations(Residence Inn). I can't wait. You will be able to tell my from the whole crowd as i am older than most PP goers and i will be hanging out at the NIGHTMARE vendor booth, and maybe working there with LANCE. I am on the NIGHTMARE/PYRAMAZE street team. So at the Pre-Party i will probably be wearing a PYRAMAZE or NIGHTMARE shirt or maybe a shirt from work. We will all hook up and have a beer or two.

John

Burke said:
With you there - I don't see anything prog about these guys at all...

As much as they turn me off, I will give credit where credit is due - if Vai signed the guy to Favored Nations, here's a big congrats to making it to PP for sure. Vai also has one of my fav guitar guys that hardly anyone has heard of before (least that I have talked to - Tak Matsumoto - that guy's 1000 Wave Plus cd kicks major ass...)

DISCLAIMER: My opinion is just as good as yours, I still believe Glenn rocks, I still want to come to PPVII, I know I will enjoy myself, and I am willing to give anyone a listen.

BUT
After listening to a bunch of FK tracks, I have formed an opinion:
Other people have compared FK to Frank Zappa. Mattias is at the same level as FZ, and the lyrics are def. in the same vein. FK have interesting lyrics and some great riffs, but (and this is funny strange since these guys have to be way past the legal drinking age) they sound like a teen boy band that you would have seen on MTV circa 2001.

Where I live, in South Florida, there is a radio station called The Buzz. They have what they call The Buzz bake sale where 10-15 bands play in one or two days. All the bands sound like they are made up of 14 year olds, and the audience is largely made up of 14 year old boys.

No, these guys are not Yellowcard, or Good Charlotte, The Fray, or Coldplay, but they would feel right at home on this station--and the Buzz would never play Evergrey, SymphX, Brainstorm, or any other band listed in this year's PP concert.

So, IMO should FK be considered prog? Absolutely not. Should they be on this bill? If Glenn says they should, then absolutely. Will I give them a listen at the show? Yes. Will I stay thru the entire set? Probably not. But Glenn does not program for me, or you, or any individual. He puts together a concert that will please 1,000 very lucky ticket holders and if all of us liked all the bands equally, the show would be like vanilla ice cream. Everyone thinks vanilla ice cream is ...ok... but nobody wants to eat it for three days straight!