PP USA VII: Band #5 confirmed

Hhhmm...l've seen this band being referred to as Prog, but l'm not getting it. l agree their lyrics are abit odd and some of the song structures use "somewhat" quirky timing signatures, but l wouldn't categorize them as Prog. Heck...l would consider their sound the direction that Van Halen should have gone in. Van Halen (DLR days) did some of the same stuff that this band is doing, but they are nowhere near being called Prog.
FK = oddball...the guitar work alone will be worth seeing.

Ascension said:
Hhhmm...l've seen this band being referred to as Prog, but l'm not getting it. l agree their lyrics are abit odd and some of the song structures use "somewhat" quirky timing signatures, but l wouldn't categorize them as Prog. Heck...l would consider their sound the direction that Van Halen should have gone in. Van Halen (DLR days) did some of the same stuff that this band is doing, but they are nowhere near being called Prog.
FK = oddball...the guitar work alone will be worth seeing.

Yeah I would consider them melodic metal, nothing really progressive except for their lyrics :loco:

Bear

Harvester said:
I would suggest that if anyone is aware of another FK mp3 out there, to post a link in here or start a new thread. While I did enjoy those two songs in the audio section, perhaps it would be best if others sampled just how different the band is on other albums.

Glenn H.

They also have four songs on MySpace. ("Jerk" from "Spanking Hour", "Black Spider Flag" from "Dead Soul Men", "Logo" from "Move", "The Rights to You" from "Organic")

http://www.myspace.com/freakkitchen37

KingsGene said:
Didn't know what to expect after reading all the posts before listening, but the result is better than I thought it would be.

Holy Moly I'm with you KingsGene, after reading the thread, I was scared, but these guys ROCK

Thanks Glenn :headbang:

Though I have to add - being in the don't get out much crowd - what's with the cow? I recognized it from J-Dubya's avatar, but is there something to it?

Bear said:
Yeah I would consider them melodic metal, nothing really progressive except for their lyrics :loco:

Bear

With you there - I don't see anything prog about these guys at all...

As much as they turn me off, I will give credit where credit is due - if Vai signed the guy to Favored Nations, here's a big congrats to making it to PP for sure. Vai also has one of my fav guitar guys that hardly anyone has heard of before (least that I have talked to - Tak Matsumoto - that guy's 1000 Wave Plus cd kicks major ass...)

People haven't heard of Vai? =(

I really wish I had made one of the G3 shows...

Hell.. I'm sorry but any guy that has one of the greatest guitarists... -backing him up- ... is just yeah. Oh that guitarist is MacAlpine. Well he does keyboards too. Sigh.

Vai also played a bit with a farely obscure artist.. that few people have heard of ... but umm *this is sarcasm* Frank Zappa.

And he played in Alcatrazz! hehe. And that other band too... a little bit... Van Halen.

But I love his solo work <listening to Real Illusions: Reflections>

Oh... and if you haven't picked up Petrucci's solo album. Wow.

Stingray11214 said:
Glenn;

Over the past few weeks, you introduced some real kick-ass bands. Pyramaze and Wastefall kicks @$$. Savage Circus, from what I heard of them, has some real good stuff. Epica? 'nuff said. I seriously thought they would be HEADLINING. They deserve that kind of respect. That said, I need to say this: What in God's name were you smoking when you came up with Freak Kitchen???:OMG: Are you sure those smokes said "Marlboro"? This band is a Warrant-wannabe. They could probably headline American Idol, as bubble-gum as they are. My Lord, they have as much business at ProgPower as Donny Osmond has on Gigantour.:yuk:

Congratulations, Glenn. You did it. You got me up out of my seat to go into the bar-area at Earthlink. Kiitos!:worship:

Peace,
Ray C.
Huh!?

Evil said:
Dream Evil, Masterplan, Balance of Power and Demons and Wizards i'd like to see.. the rest, well only other i know is Royal Hunt.

I recommend you check them out then.

The Warrant and Korn comments are completely unfounded, in my opinion. I suggest you take some more time and delve a bit deeper into what this band has put together through the years.

Glenn, I was hoping you'd be able to bring Freak Kitchen into the PPUSA fold. This pretty much cements my return to Hotlanta this year. Thank you.

Bear said:
With the exception of Masterplan, Bloodbound,Bruce (never happen) and Morgana Lefay I wouldn't even want to see any of those other bands. This isn't Powerfest, that takes place in Chicago in a few months or you might want to hook a trip up to Waken.

Bear

you probably don't even know most of those bands. Many of them are prog or semi-prog.

lucretia96 said:
you probably don't even know most of those bands. Many of them are prog or semi-prog.

So are you asking or telling me? I was a DJ at Seismic Radio and Demntia Radio for many years, I think I have an idea of what metal is being played or whats being talked about. Not only that but I have albums,c dr's or mp3's for most bands on that list, lets go down it shall we?

Running Wild, heard them never really gotten into them but since Dustin love s them I have been wanting to get them I just haven't yet...

Royal Hunt - I have 4 Royal Hunt cd's, DC Cooper era RH ruled, not into the new stuff

Falconer - I have some on mp3, not into them

Jacob's Dream - Killer Prog metal band, I liek them alot but I don't think they are around anymore?

Sabaton - never heard of them

Morgana Lefay - Got drunk as shit with them last year at Powerfest :loco:

Astral Doors - Ehhh no thanks

Human Fortress - I have a cd from these guys, pretty good, not great Power metal.

Force Of Evil - I have the S/T Pretty good stuff but I would rather see alot of other bands , again power metal

Grave Digger - I hate Grave Digger period, Power metal

Demons & Wizards - Lets get aother Blind Guardian band to play at Prog Power, you think Jon might want his band to play first?

Balance Of Power - Love the Lance King era BoP, they kicked ass at 2.0, not to much into the new stuff but its ok.

Virgin Steele - Never really liked the band

Sirenia - Never heard of them

Nightmare - Heard of them never gotten into

Battlelore - I had a cdr or some mp3's, deleted ,cheesey power metal

Lordi - Cannot stand the singer, I have two cd's from these cats,Power Rock?

Euroforce - Nope never heard them, I am guessing Powermetal

Majesty - Ytsejam? Dream Theater?

Time Requiem - I love this band, it would be great to see them. Prog/Power

Dream Evil - Echhhh, please I would need my codpiece to see these guys in concert. Powermetal

Masterplan - Love them trhe best band of whoel lot of them, I can only hope the will make it to PPUSA soon. I have all their cd's. Powermetal

Bruce Dickinson - Rules bottom line, but he will never play Prog Power USA and he is Power metal.

Bloodbound - I love this debut, Urban rules. Again Powermetal

So what your point again?

Bear

Royal Hunt - I have 4 Royal Hunt cd's, DC Cooper era RH ruled, not into the new stuff

for me it is the other way around.

Jacob's Dream - Killer Prog metal band, I like them alot but I don't think they are around anymore?

they had a new album in 2005

Falconer - I have some on mp3, not into them

give it a chance to sink in

Sabaton - never heard of them

they are fairly new, but they are way better than Symphorce/Brainstorm. Here are some songs: http://music.download.com/sabaton/3...ickurl&jFunc=playList&jParam=artist-100130831

Astral Doors - Ehhh no thanks

:confused:

Human Fortress - I have a cd from these guys, pretty good, not great Power metal.

some of the best power metal with some prog elements.

Virgin Steele - Never really liked the band

:confused: This is top 5 best metal band, period.

Time Requiem - I love this band, it would be great to see them. Prog/Power

not really power, mostly prog

Grave Digger - I hate Grave Digger period, Power metal

Vocals are not for everyone, but they still rock.

Balance Of Power - Love the Lance King era BoP, they kicked ass at 2.0, not to much into the new stuff but its ok.

I prefer the one with John K

Sirenia - Never heard of them

somewhat similar to Epica

Battlelore - I had a cdr or some mp3's, deleted ,cheesey power metal

not really any more cheezy than most other bands, so basically not cheezy and are much more prog than power.

Euroforce - Nope never heard them, I am guessing Powermetal

no, prog, with some power metal elements.

Force Of Evil - I have the S/T Pretty good stuff but I would rather see alot of other bands , again power metal

Check out their new album Evil Empire, they really improved a few notches from an already very good debut.

Majesty - Ytsejam? Dream Theater?

just fun Manowar type power/true metal beats stuff like Pyramaze anytime, check out their album Reign in Glory

Dream Evil - Echhhh, please I would need my codpiece to see these guys in concert. Powermetal

I doubt it. They are really good especially the 3rd album.

Bruce Dickinson - Rules bottom line, but he will never play Prog Power USA and he is Power metal.

Not sure about never, but definitely low percentage. Skunkworks was proggy.

Cheiron said:
People haven't heard of Vai? =(

I really wish I had made one of the G3 shows...

Hell.. I'm sorry but any guy that has one of the greatest guitarists... -backing him up- ... is just yeah. Oh that guitarist is MacAlpine. Well he does keyboards too. Sigh.

Vai also played a bit with a farely obscure artist.. that few people have heard of ... but umm *this is sarcasm* Frank Zappa.

And he played in Alcatrazz! hehe. And that other band too... a little bit... Van Halen.

But I love his solo work <listening to Real Illusions: Reflections>

Oh... and if you haven't picked up Petrucci's solo album. Wow.

Uumm nope...Vai never played in Van Halen...with Eddie that would never even be a consideration. Vai did play in DLR's solo endeavor however. Hell...Vai plays the way he does because of Eddie. Eddie write the book for others to read & follow...including Freak Kitchen's player.
Props to you for mentioning Petrucci.

AngraRULES said:
Cheiron, maybe you can teach Mattias how to compose better riffs/solos/guitar playing?

Now see, a statement like this is stupid, because while I may not be able to play hockey very well, I can surely tell you who does and does not belong on NHL ice, because I can identify talent.

Now, it may be this guy can't.. really.. descern talent in gutair playing ability, but he's still got a right to note that he doesn't like the music, and to him, it sounds shoddy or whatever.

It doesn't make it right. Or wrong.

But just because he's not that good doesn't mean he can't tell the difference.

You know nailz, I made that comment based on what he said regarding the guitar work sounding like a "how to play metal 101".

Please, check out one of these videos and tell me if you agree that the guitar work on FK sounds like that.

It is one thing to not like something and say "I dont like this". That comparison was just beyond ridiculous to me. Just as stupid.

You're saying then that it's okay to say "Oh Chelios plays like a 3rd grader just cause u didnt like his play".

Warrant is horrible choice, but FK sounds like Hard Rock to me too.... Maybe Van Halen is better choice...Van Halen, but heavier and with a lot of weird shit going on..
I like them ok, not really my thing though..