PP USA VII: Band #5 confirmed

I'm not ready to go yet, either, but with the headliners not announced it's awfully early to decide you don't want to. There's still five slots for your favorite bands, and two of them are 90 minutes+.

I find Freak Kitchen to be entertaining, if not something I'd normally get into. It'll be a nice change of pace after getting blitzed by Pyramaze and Savage Circus.

adaher said:
I'm not ready to go yet, either, but with the headliners not announced it's awfully early to decide you don't want to. There's still five slots for your favorite bands, and two of them are 90 minutes+.

I find Freak Kitchen to be entertaining, if not something I'd normally get into. It'll be a nice change of pace after getting blitzed by Pyramaze and Savage Circus.

very good points. When the PP4 lineup was announced, I decided not to go and gave up my gold badge spot in the process. It took me two years to regain my spot on the list, and I'll be damned if I ever give that up again.

And now I have cds from Pagans Mind and Mercenary - two bands I didn't care for when I heard the sound files for PP4. Go figure.

~Hoyt.

lucretia96 said:
oh well, maybe next year if the lineup has bands like:

Running Wild
Royal Hunt
Falconer
Jacob's Dream
Sabaton
Morgana Lefay
Astral Doors
Human Fortress
Force Of Evil
Grave Digger
Demons & Wizards
Balance Of Power
Virgin Steele
Sirenia
Nightmare
Battlore
Lordi
Euroforce
Majesty
Time Requiem
Dream Evil
Masterplan
Bruce Dickinson
Bloodbound
etc.

With the exception of Masterplan, Bloodbound,Bruce (never happen) and Morgana Lefay I wouldn't even want to see any of those other bands. This isn't Powerfest, that takes place in Chicago in a few months or you might want to hook a trip up to Waken.

Bear

adaher said:
Wow. Except for Wastefall, every other band booked so far was getting a lot of buzz on the forums for the last 18 months or so. It's almost as if we voted for this lineup without know it.

Granted, Wastefall is certainly an "under-the-radar" kinda band, but they have had their (scant) share of praise on this forum.

I think it was Glenn that first went out of his way to promote them here when their last album came out.

All in all...mucho kudos to Glenn because I think this year is a very well-rounded, diverse representation of the sub-genres so far...and THAT (to me) is what PPUSA is all about...

Rock on!

Glenn,

Nicely done. These guys should be a lot of fun. Someone else asked if they were the oddball. Their fairly Prog. I wouldn't call these guys the "oddball". Am I right? Thanks.

Zod

Of course they are the oddball Zod; were we listening to the same sound samples on the front page of the PP site??? That was one of the strangest couple of minutes I've heard in music in a while! Doesn't get much "odder" than that!

General Zod said:
Glenn,

Nicely done. These guys should be a lot of fun. Someone else asked if they were the oddball. Their fairly Prog. I wouldn't call these guys the "oddball". Am I right? Thanks.

Zod

Wouldn't it be cool if I blurred the lines so much that you couldn't figure it out?

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
Wouldn't it be cool if I blurred the lines so much that you couldn't figure it out?
In deed it would. I guess me and some of the RC forum guys are keeping our fingers crossed for something over the top in that "wildcard" spot. Not that it matters all that much in the end. I've already decided I'm going to ProgPowers 8 - 17. After that, I need to check my schedule.

Zod

nightwish58 said:
but god damn, those FK samples were downright painful to listen to imo. Apparently there is strong support for them; just not my cup of tea.

Yeah..... I am right there with ya on that.......
That looks like autograph/beer time for me........:yuk:

Nod. I'll probably skip the act. I'll watch the first song.. though. Its just... those mp3s were horrid recordings. So maybe they are better live. But.. personally their vocals were poor, and guitars just sounded like out of 'How to play metal 101.' Oh well. Looking forward to another annoucements. ((oh and a name like Freak Kitchen just turns me off as well)).

It's hard to predict who will like or dislike a band like Freak Kitchen. I happen to love them, but have friends who can't stand them.

Now and again I get in the mood to hear something with some humor and some quirkiness, and usually when that occurs I reach for some Freak Kitchen.

I think Move is their best disc, so if anyone is looking for one to try out that is the (one) I would recommend first. I think it's the most metal of their catalog.

Britt

Is this forum, which is now complaining about Freak Kitchen's name, the same exact forum that flamed me almost a year ago, for making fun of the gay backwards "S" in Circus Maximus' logo?

booB said:
Is this forum, which is now complaining about Freak Kitchen's name, the same exact forum that flamed me almost a year ago, for making fun of the gay backwards "S" in Circus Maximus' logo?

Ironic, isn't it?

At least it's creative.

here is a description of Freak Kitchen based on the two songs in the audio section here on the PP site. This is from a friend of mine, completely unbiased:

I don't know if I'd call Freak Kitchen "Metal" but they're like a cross
between Infectious Grooves and Sugar Ray- from the first album.

*nods* I think that may very well sum them up. And that is in no way a slight against Freak Kitchen. Just an observation from a metal fan who enjoys everything from 'Priest to Punk Rock.

Cheiron said:
, and guitars just sounded like out of 'How to play metal quote]

I can completely understand not liking Freak Kitchen. However, the above comment simply blows my mind. Perhaps you were just commenting on the riff instead of the actual solos.

Mattias is one of the most respected guitarist in the world and is signed to Steve Vai's label. Hell, they just jammed together on stage recently. He also has major guitar endorsement deals and some incredible solo instrumental albums.

Betwen that and the "Korn" comment :confused: , I simply think you are letting your biasness of the musical style effect your objectivity in evaluating talent.

That's ok..to each their own.

Glenn H.

Cheiron, maybe you can teach Mattias how to compose better riffs/solos/guitar playing?

Have fun at the bar/vendors while most of us will enjoy a great set of Freak Kitchen.