PP USA VII: Band #5 confirmed

GK your putting to much on it. Make no mistake that Freak Kitchen rocks and not even close to the same vein as your putting them in. Which is about the third or foruth bad comparison I have read thus far. I think you will all just have to wait and see. I have no doubt that it will not only be highley entertaining but ass kicking to boot.

I feel the need to post a few songs that no one knows about of the earlier albums!!!

Bear

Bear said:
GK your putting to much on it. Make no mistake that Freak Kitchen rocks and not even close to the same vein as your putting them in. Which is about the third or foruth bad comparison I have read thus far. I think you will all just have to wait and see. I have no doubt that it will not only be highley entertaining but ass kicking to boot.

I feel the need to post a few songs that no one knows about of the earlier albums!!!

Bear

Like I said, I want to give these guys a chance. I have now heard a half dozen songs of theirs (which is what, 1/4 or 1/5 of the total songs on three albums?) and my opinion is buttressed with each new song I get. I never said I do not like what I am hearing (in fact I listened to them in my car this morning and when I went to lunch), I just have the opinion that they would be a better fit in another musical genre. And that I will spend my time at the vendor's area or the bar when they play.

(FWIW, I happen to like Yellowcard, or Good Charlotte, The Fray, or Coldplay too, but none of them are prog.)

EDIT: If we can have FK, can we get Sir Loin for the pre-party?
:tickled:

(...waits to see how many people get that reference...)

Freak Kitchen is not Prog? Oh boy, maybe we need to define Prog here because I'd CERTAINLY throw them in that pile. Maybe Prog with melodic tendencies?

In any case, any of the naysayers on this band need to either A) Buy the cd(s) or B) give them a chance live because they are a "grower" and they are much better when cranked in the stereo than they are on MP3. You gotta love their style after you give them a few spins. Killer stuff. And Fate's "Scratch N Sniff" cd with Matthias on it? Forget about it, baby. Top notch melodic stuff.

AngraRULES said:
You know nailz, I made that comment based on what he said regarding the guitar work sounding like a "how to play metal 101"..

Yah, I guess maybe it was a dig on his technical skill. if that was the case, then I digress.

Also, to make it clear, I know jack shit about playing instruments, which attributes me to really finding most prog metal bands bland and booring, I think, so I couldn't and wouldn't comment on someone's technical ability to play, I just know what sounds awesome to my own ears. ;)

Harvester said:
Mp3s are available in the audio section. I'd also recommend checking out the videos on the website.

For those unaware, that is Bumblefoot doing guest vocals & a bit of guitar soloing on "Speak When Spoken To." (credit Deron for the heads up).

Glenn H.

Speaking of Bumblefoot/Ron Thal, anyone who likes Mattias for his catchy poppy tunes, silly lyrics and quirky guitar solos needs to check Bumblefoot out! Anyone who is familiar with Mattias' work knows that they've both contributed on each other's albums and they're supposedly going to do an album together eventually. I'd personally recommend getting Bumblefoot's Normal or 9.11 to start. With tunes like "I Can't Play the Blues", "Guitars Suck" and "Life Inside Your Ass", how can you go wrong? :D

Meteornotes said:
All I can say is...YES!!!!

I have wanted to see this band live ever since I heard a song a billion years ago on Jaxx's radio show. I am a huge fan, and think they're going to blow people away at PP.

Jaxx is a club in VA..I'm Jax. :p ;) :lol:

And Mary and I are pround to be sponsors again at the best festival in the US. So far this line up is kicking much ass (I'm not sure about Savage Circus, but they'll probably be fun live). Thanks Glenn!

dt

Awesome..maybe this year I'll actually have a chance to buy you that Guinness!

woosta said:
Freak Kitchen is not Prog? Oh boy, maybe we need to define Prog here because I'd CERTAINLY throw them in that pile. Maybe Prog with melodic tendencies?

In any case, any of the naysayers on this band need to either A) Buy the cd(s) or B) give them a chance live because they are a "grower" and they are much better when cranked in the stereo than they are on MP3. You gotta love their style after you give them a few spins. Killer stuff. And Fate's "Scratch N Sniff" cd with Matthias on it? Forget about it, baby. Top notch melodic stuff.

they seem like a mix of prog and groove and aren't really metal although are somewhat heavy.

lucretia96 said:
they seem like a mix of prog and groove and aren't really metal although are somewhat heavy.

I think we all have a diff definition of the term "prog" is all.

And I think MC Pee Pants should headline Saturday night.

Now I gots to go eat some candy.

Prog Maiden said:
Speaking of Bumblefoot/Ron Thal, anyone who likes Mattias for his catchy poppy tunes, silly lyrics and quirky guitar solos needs to check Bumblefoot out! Anyone who is familiar with Mattias' work knows that they've both contributed on each other's albums and they're supposedly going to do an album together eventually. I'd personally recommend getting Bumblefoot's Normal or 9.11 to start. With tunes like "I Can't Play the Blues", "Guitars Suck" and "Life Inside Your Ass", how can you go wrong? :D

Don't forget about "Hands" 9-11 rocks as well!

J-Dubya

^Normal was released in early December.

J-Dubya 777 said:
Don't forget about "Hands" 9-11 rocks as well!

J-Dubya
Everything by Ron Thal rocks.
smalldouche.jpg

yardleybates said:
LOL so what's the scoop with the cow?

I don't have an answer for that. It has appeared somewhere on every FK release, and was animated in the "Raw" video from the debut disc. I want to say that it was created either by a friend of the band, or a former band member. Sort of like an Eddie or a FangFace, you know, a mascot of sorts...
There used to be recording diaries on the site, I don't know if they got moved or removed the last time it got re-designed. There might have been some info there.

J-Dubya