What new bands do you want to see for PP VIII?

Here's mine:

Mystic Prophecy (I just can't understand why these guys aren't more popular)
Firewind (Gotta see Gus G. live, plus the new singer is excellent)
Scar Symmetry (These guys would be a trip)
Wolverine (something a little proggy, and moody)

Britt

I couldn't narrow it down to four, but most of my top choices have all been mentioned:

Shadow Gallery
Ayreon, Stream of Passion, or any Arjen project
Fates Warning
Dream Theater
Savatage
Lethal

Two that I would love to see, but the timing is a little off:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Van Helsing's Curse

And finally, I think Queensryche should play for free one year as an apology to those of us who have purchased the last three CDs. :)

1. Dream Theater
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Lost Horizon (surely SOMEONE else knows who this is...)
4. Avenged Sevenfold - if you can get past their mainstream fanbase, they fit in well...and theyu're just as talented as many other PP bands.
5. Dream Evil

Enchant
Cloudscape
Suncaged
Riverside
CHROME SHIFT
Dead Soul Tribe
Arjen Lucassen in any way, shape or form

and
Magnitude Nine (never happen but...)

Krisjibs said:
4. Avenged Sevenfold - if you can get past their mainstream fanbase, they fit in well...and theyu're just as talented as many other PP bands.

If you like this band, then good for you.
Don't try to sell them off as a legit metal band worthy of playing Prog Power.
They are a bunch of pop punk kids who started as pop punk, then goth punk (when AFI got popular) , and now are selling themselves as a true metal band, claiming crap like, "We have always been metal" blah blah blah.

To me, this band has ZERO integrity and will NEVER get my respect.
They epitomize everything wrong with commercial music.

I agree with Scar Symmetry!!

Dragonforce would fit but they've done the Ozzfest thing and are therefore tainted...

my 2 cents:
Elvenking (for sure)
Scar Symmetry
Battlelore
Helstar (since they are reunited for real this time with Larry Barragan and Rob Trevino!)

Creeps said:
Since I'm really bored waiting on laundry.. here's the top results;

By a LANDSLIDE - Nocturnal Rites - 15

Followed by bands w/ 6+ mentions

Primal Fear - 11
Dream Evil - 10
Labyrinth - 9
Sonata Arctica - 9
Fates Warning - 8
Rhapsody - 6
Iron Savior - 6

I would pay DAMN GOOD MONEY for that show!!!!

I've said it on other threads & I'll say it here, flying in exotic European bands that otherwise may not make it to America is cool and a great reason this fest got so popular. (yet likely adds to the expense)

Ignoring bands like Icarus Witch who are right here on our soil working hard to make U.S. power metal a respected force in the global scene is a travesty.

I saw them in New York City a few weeks ago and not only were they all very down to earth & fun guys, the show was on par with anything I've seen in my 2 decades of concert going. With the right support these guys could become the next Savatage or Fates. With no support from Prog Power & similar events, they may just end up like the other great U.S. bands that get flown to Europe every year and blown off at home by the same people who complain about our scene.

MelodicA said:
. With no support from Prog Power & similar events, they may just end up like the other great U.S. bands that get flown to Europe every year and blown off at home by the same people who complain about our scene.

Bands like this never send me any promotional material to check out while unknowns from overseas constantly fill my mailbox. I keep my ears open the best I can, but let's be honest. They don't have much of a buzz online and that's the only way I can find out about bands like that.

Fair enough, I got their email address at the show and I'm going to see them at Pirates Den next month. I'll make sure they send you something.

As for not much buzz, I disagree. My friends & I find out about a lot of new bands on myspace and Icarus Witch has more buzz there than bands like Sun Caged, Pyramaze or even Jorn on myspace. Not that that is a measure of merit, but it does show that the young fans are paying attention.

http://www.myspace.com/icaruswitch

MelodicA said:
Not that that is a measure of merit, but it does show that the young fans are paying attention.

http://www.myspace.com/icaruswitch

You hit the nail on the head with "young" as My Space is indeed the most popular place for the younger fan to find new bands and socialize. Keep in mind that the median age for my ticket buyers is 32.

I'm old school and stick to the usual forums that we have been using for ten years. You can find more information and buzz on a place like the Perpetual Motion Board or Metal-Rules on a ton of bands with a quick scan of thread topics than looking for individual bands on My Space. I can quickly see a thread on IW in the topic with follow-ups within seconds. If go to Mind Space, you simply cannot find that type of info that quick. I use My Space as a secondary function to listen to audio of the bands I'm interested in.

Jasonic said:
If you like this band, then good for you.
Don't try to sell them off as a legit metal band worthy of playing Prog Power.
They are a bunch of pop punk kids who started as pop punk, then goth punk (when AFI got popular) , and now are selling themselves as a true metal band, claiming crap like, "We have always been metal" blah blah blah.

To me, this band has ZERO integrity and will NEVER get my respect.
They epitomize everything wrong with commercial music.

LOL!!! The guitarist shreds!!!They kicked ass at Ozzfest!

Bear