Iron Maiden US tour announcement coming soon

I thought James did alright on that album, though he is not Bruce. Nor is Bayley or Matos. Still not sure how those three became the finalists to replace Bruce. I can think of a few others that at the time I'd rather have seen get the job that Bayley won.

Wait, what? James was one of the finalists? I honestly have to be in a very patient mood to listen to that album. I would say of those three, Matos is the closest, but I must admit I do like some of the Bayley material but it is a complete 180 from the Maiden sound in my opinion.

Wait, what? James was one of the finalists? I honestly have to be in a very patient mood to listen to that album. I would say of those three, Matos is the closest, but I must admit I do like some of the Bayley material but it is a complete 180 from the Maiden sound in my opinion.

On the Run to hills book it says that the 2 finalists were Dougie White and Blaze Bayley. I don't recall James LaBrie ever being considered.

On the Run to hills book it says that the 2 finalists were Dougie White and Blaze Bayley. I don't recall James LaBrie ever being considered.

Both Matos' bio and LaBrie's bio on the net on some authoritative sites mention each as a finalist. The Matos bio for years has mentioned the big three being Matos, Bayley, and LaBrie. LaBrie is often cited as the first choice, even being offered the gig and turning it down. I'm sure this will all surface during interviews again before this tour.

Have you even seen DT play live? It's a different set every tour.

Let me guess, you'd rather have Bullet for my Valentine back? :puke:

LOL... quite a few times I have seen them and slept each and every time.:lol: Different set. But they are all boring. James LeBrie makes me cringe at how grilie he is with his singing!:lol: How about Symphony X! That is a MUCH better band with a REAL singer. Hell, pretty much anyone would be more exciting than DT. How about a band that deserves to open for Maiden like say maybe Overkill or Nevermore... Um, Kat V would be a MUCH better opener in my eyes.:kickass:

LOL... quite a few times I have seen them and slept each and every time.:lol: Different set. But they are all boring. James LeBrie makes me cringe at how grilie he is with his singing!:lol: How about Symphony X! That is a MUCH better band with a REAL singer. Hell, pretty much anyone would be more exciting than DT. How about a band that deserves to open for Maiden like say maybe Overkill or Nevermore... Um, Kat V would be a MUCH better opener in my eyes.:kickass:

You are entitled to your opinion that DT is boring. Many folks share your opinion. You are even entitled to not like LaBrie's voice. I've heard many a metal fan say "I would love Dream Theater if they didn't have LaBrie." However, implying that LaBrie is not a real singer simply because he doesn't sing like Russell Allen is completely incorrect, and outright stupid. They have two different styles and approaches to singing, but both are real singers.

And as for Kat-V making a better opening act - you get three guesses as to just whose vocals Katagory V's singer is influenced by. :)

I am having a really hard time believing this.

My take is that he was contacted and turned it down and perhaps he was asked prior to holding auditions etc.. So all this verbiage online about finalists is a bit of semantics. Based upon James' interview it does not sound like he auditioned, but perhaps he was a top or first choice. Then out of the actual auditions in may have come down to White, Matos, Bayley. Who knows.

James interview: "And the funny thing about that is that when I first got into Dream Theater, Iron Maiden’s management was calling me to possibly be up for singing with them." http://www.mp3.com.au/Forms/NewsView.aspx?FeatureId=730

"After Bruce Dickinson left the band in 1993. the band auditioned hundreds of vocalists, both unknown and famous (among them Doogie White of Rainbow), and even offered the position to James LaBrie of Dream Theater but he declined." http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1442043/bio

"In 1993, he was the first choice consideration to replace departed Iron Maiden vocalist, Bruce Dickinson, as well as a consideration to replace Rob Halford in Judas Priest." http://dreamtheater.com/en/content/view/50/

Notice this last piece is cited from Wikipedia, yet the current Wikipedia does not state this anymore. Probably someone reading too much into (or fabricating) something James said in an interview and then publishing this on Wikipedia.

James interview: "And the funny thing about that is that when I first got into Dream Theater, Iron Maiden’s management was calling me to possibly be up for singing with them." http://www.mp3.com.au/Forms/NewsView.aspx?FeatureId=730

Ok out of those 3 this is the most believeable one since it came straight from LaBrie. The other 2 could of been written by anyone with the wrong information.

However in that interview he says "possibly be up for singing with them." which to me it sounds like he was invited to audition.
That's different than being offered the gig and having him turn it down.

Sorry for the confusion, I just know a little too much about Maiden and I never heard that he "turned down" the gig as Bruce's replacement.

I like DT, but its not everyday listening for me.
Sometimes they click for me, other times I skip immediately when they pop up on shuffle.

No doubt that LaBrie has ALWAYS been the weakest link in the band.
Bottom line is the guy has ZERO balls.
Doesn't mean he isn't talented or isn't a good singer.
Just that DT would be liked by a lot more metal fans if they had a different vocalist.

As far as James being offered the Maiden gig, I have never heard that in my life.
Not saying I don't believe it, just nothing I ever heard mentioned.

Sweet! I always wanted to know.....

Bruce Dickinson - Boxers or briefs????

spongebobundies.jpg

I like DT, but its not everyday listening for me.
Sometimes they click for me, other times I skip immediately when they pop up on shuffle.

No doubt that LaBrie has ALWAYS been the weakest link in the band.
Bottom line is the guy has ZERO balls.
Doesn't mean he isn't talented or isn't a good singer.
Just that DT would be liked by a lot more metal fans if they had a different vocalist.

As far as James being offered the Maiden gig, I have never heard that in my life.
Not saying I don't believe it, just nothing I ever heard mentioned.

I don't see why everyone hates on Labrie so much... He doesn't need balls, cause Dream Theater isn't a metal band. They have some metal material, but for the most part, their best material is either the more mellow stuff, or the more Rush-like prog stuff. Listen to the Awake album and tell me any singer that would fit that sound any better than Labrie. IMO He is what really holds the band together. I would HATE if they got another singer. He is my favorite vocalist ever. The tonality of his voice is just fucking beautiful. Even back when he was in Winter Rose. Sure he has his bad days (years) just like any other singer, but thats just cause he fucked up his voice by puking his throat out with food poisoning right before the Japan tour supporting Awake. Sometimes its not about the vocal ability, but how you get your point across vocally. I can feel what James is saying when I hear him sing. I don't just hear it. Its more than that.

Oh well. Haters will be haters.
Just my 2 cents. About the greatest singer in progressive rock.

Sorry, but I think all the people who bitched about Maiden doing AMOLAD in its entirety are "Casual" Maiden fans at best. A true "fan" should not have been disappointed.

this is a very moronic statement. So are not a "true" fan to all the bands you listen to. How many times have you said..."that set list wasnt good". I guess you are a casual fan of lots of bands. Just because a person doesnt want to hear a mediocre disc live in it's full run...it shouldnt make them a casual fan. I am more than a casual fan of Maiden and I didnt go to that show since I didnt like that disc.

this is a very moronic statement. So are not a "true" fan to all the bands you listen to. How many times have you said..."that set list wasnt good". I guess you are a casual fan of lots of bands. Just because a person doesnt want to hear a mediocre disc live in it's full run...it shouldnt make them a casual fan. I am more than a casual fan of Maiden and I didnt go to that show since I didnt like that disc.

Of course I have said it in the past.... No doubt!!!
I would never deny that.
There are MANY bands that I am a casual fan.

I am not saying being a casual fan is a BAD thing.

My point is that the AMOLAD appealed to true "fans" more so than casual fans.

I think most people are only hardcore die-hard fans of only a handful of bands, where they would be happy to see the band regardless of the setlist.

For the majority of bands people like they would want to hear their hits or better songs.

Obviously such theory applies to more long running bands, and not newer bands with 5 or less albums.

I certainly wasn't implying that being a casual fan is a bad thing, but in the case of Maiden, that tour wouldn't appeal to you.

Of course I have said it in the past.... No doubt!!!
I would never deny that.
There are MANY bands that I am a casual fan.

I am not saying being a casual fan is a BAD thing.

My point is that the AMOLAD appealed to true "fans" more so than casual fans.

I think most people are only hardcore die-hard fans of only a handful of bands, where they would be happy to see the band regardless of the setlist.

For the majority of bands people like they would want to hear their hits or better songs.

Obviously such theory applies to more long running bands, and not newer bands with 5 or less albums.

I certainly wasn't implying that being a casual fan is a bad thing, but in the case of Maiden, that tour wouldn't appeal to you.

so being the "true" fan have you seen them every time they have hit Chicago?
if not, does that make you not a "true" fan?

I would say that for me personally, I became more of a "true die-hard" fan of Maiden only in the past 10 years, though I have been a fan for a lot longer. At this point in time, I will certainly go see Maiden (as long as I am able to) anytime they come, regardless of what kind of tour they do. I even went to Ozzfest (though it was finally a good time to go see Sabbath then too)

Not sure the point you are trying to make here, other than I think you are getting defensive for no reason.

Take bands like Gamma Ray and Helloween. I love them both, but would not say I am a "Die-Hard" of either. I would not truly enjoy a set of either of those bands doing deep cuts or a newer album in its entirety. I would want to hear more of the live "Staple" songs.

This sounds like how you are with Maiden. Doesn't make you any lesser of a fan, just not that much of a die-hard fanboy. That's the point I was trying to make, which you seem to take offense to.