Win some...lose some... (please read)

This is a little disappointing. The only non-returning bands that surpass Stratovarius in marquee value I can think of would be Rhapsody, HammerFall, or possibly Primal Fear.

A lot of good bands have been suggested, and some of them could fill the top slot for Saturday night. But to headline over Stratovarius, the top band would have to be huge, not a one album side project like Demons & Wizards. Like them or not, those three bands are the only ones I can think of that fit the criteria.

No doubt Glenn will find a good replacement, but.... well... :(

Glenn, thanks -- as always -- for trying your damndest. And I think we all appreciate your honesty and candor in a business where those are often lacking.

A possible repeat? Evergrey, Angra, Mercenary, Superior....

Sonata Arctica would be cool since their few dates are nowhere near Atlanta and I'd like to see 'em, although they are similar enough to Stratovarius' sound to make one hope for a bit more variety, I s'pose.

SoNofBitcH said:
grave digger isnt worthy of headlining over strato? that's pure poppycock!!!

As much as I prefer Grave Digger well over Stratovarius, I have to agree. Yes, Grave Digger are metal fucking veterans (20+ years), but I think overall Strato is much more popular than Grave Digger is, especially in the states.

SoNofBitcH said:
i'm assuming it was either demons and wizards or grave digger that won't happen. and masterplan will be announced as the #2 headliner (hopefully)

SOB, I hope you're right dude! I'd piss in my pants if Glenn lines up Masterplan! Heck, I'd settle for Jorn Lande making a guest appearance!

Yngvai X said:
As much as I prefer Grave Digger well over Stratovarius, I have to agree. Yes, Grave Digger are metal fucking veterans (20+ years), but I think overall Strato is much more popular than Grave Digger is, especially in the states.

I agree. I'd love to see Grave Digger, but they just don't have the marquee status of Stratovarius. The same is true for a lot of good bands that would be great at any PP. Running Wild for example would be awsome I'd love to see them. The same of Freedom Call, Dream Evil, Iron Savior, Manowar, Nocternal Rites, and many more.

But before anyone gets their panties in a wad, let me say I'm not trying to disrespect anyone's personal favorites. I also have bands I prefer over Stratovarius, who I do happen to like. But in the world of Power Metal Stratovarius are very near the top.

I would almost guarantee that it was Demon and Wizards that he couldnt nail down. Iced Earth is probably one of the biggest power metal bands out there today if not the biggest and it is probably going a little bit to Schaffers head, in my opinion.

I would love to see Shaman, Angra, Evergrey, Symphony X, Gamma Ray, or Mercenary.

peace

Iced Earth? Biggest name in Power Metal?

Is that supposed to be funny? Come on now...

It's kind of an insult when there are names such as Blind Guardian, Stratovarius and Angra around the world...

Iced Earth may be called the biggest power metal band that comes from the US... that's about it...

Cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Mercenary!!

Evergrey, Sonata Arctica, SymX, Kamelot would also be real awesome.

AngraRULES said:
Iced Earth? Biggest name in Power Metal?

Is that supposed to be funny? Come on now...

It's kind of an insult when there are names such as Blind Guardian, Stratovarius and Angra around the world...

Iced Earth may be called the biggest power metal band that comes from the US... that's about it...

I'd definitely put Iced Earth above Angra on a powermetal popularity contest. :p and I would have to say IE are "one of the" biggest powermetal bands around, maybe not the biggest...if I had to name biggest I'd still name Helloween, maybe Blind Guardian or Stratovarius as well.

Helloween, of course, would be bigger than any of them especially if Kiske were to return (never would happen :confused: ) Iced Earth has outsold Stratovarious the past 2 releases, fact. Fates Warning would be bigger as well. Mercenary, although cool, is NOT headlining material for this festival. It is fun to speculate, I would REALLY love to know who he couldn't get, in the end though, it will all be good. My bet on the Friday #2 slot is Crimson Glory. That would be great!

Evergrey is NOT big enough and NOT good enough that they should be headlining!

It should be either:
Gamma Ray
Angra
or Symphony X!

That's all there is too it, those are the only 3 that would make it the best prog power ever. No one else holds a candle to those 3 live. If Glenn makes that happen I'll jump for ridiculous amounts of joy. I've still got my fingers crossed for Rhapsody in that #2 slot.

Yngvai X said:
I'd definitely put Iced Earth above Angra on a powermetal popularity contest. :p and I would have to say IE are "one of the" biggest powermetal bands around, maybe not the biggest...if I had to name biggest I'd still name Helloween, maybe Blind Guardian or Stratovarius as well.

Matt, do you wanna talk about popularity? Why is it that Angra has been selling out every single tour in Europe, Brazil and Japan since earlier in the nineties? I'm sorry, Í aggree that Iced Earth is big, and wayyy bigger than Angra in the United States, but no, they are not bigger than Angra outside the US... Angra's fanbase in Japan and Brazil, as well as Europe has been growing a lot more than Iced Earth's.... And considering the fact that not a lot of people are happy with Ripper taking over the vox in Iced Earth, I don't believe they are still gonna be as popular...

Symphony X is defintely bigger than evergrey, but I would say that Angra and Gamma Ray arent up to the everygrey level. I would really like to see Gamma Ray more than the other two, I just think it would a funner (is that a word) show because they are so upbeat.

Stoink said:
Symphony X is defintely bigger than evergrey, but I would say that Angra and Gamma Ray arent up to the everygrey level. I would really like to see Gamma Ray more than the other two, I just think it would a funner (is that a word) show because they are so upbeat.

Well, maybe in the USA, Evergrey is bigger, but on the global scale, I'm pretty sure G-Ray and Angra are much MUCH bigger