Win some...lose some... (please read)

Im just gonna chime in and make SyXified feel like he's not alone, but I don't think EG is that great either. And its not like I didn't give em a chance...I bought In Search of Truth, didn't like it, then figured I'd buy Recreation Day, because if so many people are raving about them, maybe Im missing something...but alas...they just do absolutely nothing for me. I think its Tom's voice...he sings in the same one dimensional range/scales all the time and it just makes the music boring as hell for me.

I can see what you mean about the voice being one-dimensional, I think that sort of restricts the music for me too, even though I think Evergrey's awesome. That's why I listen to the song Fragments so much, because the low octave doubling in the refrain makes it sound so much more interesting.

DementiaGuitar said:
I can see what you mean about the voice being one-dimensional, I think that sort of restricts the music for me too, even though I think Evergrey's awesome. That's why I listen to the song Fragments so much, because the low octave doubling in the refrain makes it sound so much more interesting.

Well honestly their song Recreation Day I love, because in the chorus he does break away from that sort of monotonous bluesy singing he does most of the time.

I seriously think if you heard the earlier stuff by Evergrey and the latest album you would change your mind regarding the "bluesy" singing...

In fact, considering that he had NEVER sung before their first album, he's a hell of a lot better than lots of power metal singers out there that are still trying to sound like fucking Lemmy from Motorhead.... lol

Evergrey also does nothing for me. Recreation day was repetitive as hell, sans the ACousitc, it ALL sounded the same. The new album has its moments, but still, it isn't spectacular. Also with Evergrey's recent national US tours, I would rather see an act that rarely/never plays in the States, instead of a band I can see at home, who isn't even all that spectacular.

AngraRULES said:
In fact, considering that he had NEVER sung before their first album, he's a hell of a lot better than lots of power metal singers out there that are still trying to sound like fucking Lemmy from Motorhead.... lol

If you're reffering to Chris Boltendahl from Grave Digger I'm gonna have to say YOU ARE WRONG MY FRIEND :D

Yngvai X said:
If you're reffering to Chris Boltendahl from Grave Digger I'm gonna have to say YOU ARE WRONG MY FRIEND :D

I wasnt referring to him.. I do think that Tom is better than him anyway though LOL

Grave Digger is pretty good though, I have to admit it...

AngraRULES said:
I seriously think if you heard the earlier stuff by Evergrey and the latest album you would change your mind regarding the "bluesy" singing...

For all the EG bashers...wrap your heads around this:
The Boys have been good to Glenn, Glenn likes them...and if Glenn likes them that is good enough for me!

But seriously...I may have to spring for an extra ticket or two if EG comes in this year...IMO they will make a decent PP a great one! They TOTALLY kicked ass at PP4.

If Harvester announces Angra or Masterplan for the last lead in spot and EG as the Saturday night headliner...I will soil my keyboard.

Bear said:
You have to be kidding me. Evergrey puts on a dynamic, professional and energetic show. I have seen them at 2 PPUSA'a and on tour with Iced Earth last year and they owned that shows as well. I just don't think you get Evergrey possibly.I love singing along with Evergrey and they are one of my favorite bands along with Symphony X. So your very much speaking for yourself here because I know allot of people that would wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Bear

I definitely disagree wholeheartedly. Everygrey OWNS the stage when they perform. I don't get how you can just sit through their show!

Evergrey is one of my favorite bands...but this is a free country and to each his own...hell...if we all liked all of the same bands that would be pretty frickin boring!!!
I saw them when they recorded their live DVD and they are something special, definitely deserving of a headlining spot. :headbang:

Greykiller said:
For all the EG bashers...wrap your heads around this:
The Boys have been good to Glenn, Glenn likes them...and if Glenn likes them that is good enough for me!

Glenn puts on great shows, and I like almost all of the bands he brings to ProgPower. He also gets some bands I don't like, and I'm not going to like them simply because Glenn does.
Frankly, Evergrey bores me to tears. But aside from that, one would think people would want to see something new, rather than a 4th appearance by a band that tours the States regurlarly. That doesn't even mean I have to like whoever comes, just as long as it's different. Evergrey? Been there, done that... 3 times.

mtlheart said:
Glenn puts on great shows, and I like almost all of the bands he brings to ProgPower. He also gets some bands I don't like, and I'm not going to like them simply because Glenn does.
Frankly, Evergrey bores me to tears. But aside from that, one would think people would want to see something new, rather than a 4th appearance by a band that tours the States regurlarly. That doesn't even mean I have to like whoever comes, just as long as it's different. Evergrey? Been there, done that... 3 times.

Wow, that's news to me. Evergrey tours the states regularly!!!

nightwish58 said:
Wow, that's news to me. Evergrey tours the states regularly!!!

Yep, news to me too! Wasn't their last "tour" an opening slot for a death metal show? COB or someone? A 30 minute set hardly counts.

I've only been to PPIII and somehow missed Evergrey on all these tours :err: of the US. I'd love to see them play.

Evergrey...you either love them or leave them...Besides their PP appearances and the BW&BKI appearance, they toured for two months with Iced Earth/COB and before that with some death metal bands for 6 weeks in 2003...I don't remember who cause I only stuck around for 35 minutes to watch EG.

Evergrey got some push in the US for opening for Iced Earth & Children of Bodom. They were very good live, they played a lot of heavy material and I think that's what was needed on that tour. You can't do a lot of slow songs and expect to win over a crowd of COB & Iced Earth fans. This is speaking genereally for fans of those bands who probably never heard of Evergrey before seeing that tour.

After seeing them twice, on Iced Earth and at PP once I would have to say I enjoyed their 30 min set in Orlando more than I did at PP. I have every album, I do like them, but at PP there was a good portion of their set where I was like.. ZZZzzz, basically the slow part. Now I don't mind a slow song now & then, but when it drags the set down for 10+min and it seems like an eternity before I hear a strong riff I get bored, that's just me.

0_0.....I get back from Cryptopsy and there's all this new news.

Anyway, I hope Symphony X will return.....the only band mentioned in this thread that would really make me ^_^, since they're the only one I know.