Headliner Announcement

THe band was awesome this past February when my wife and I saw them in Atlanta.

In case you missed it...http://www.vpdigital.net/musicians/sonataarctica/01.html

SonataArctica_027.jpg

OMG!! HELL YEAH!! This is GREAT! I guarantee they will win over a lot of new fans from this show because that's what happened to me when I first saw them. They put on a great show!!! Way to go Glen! :headbang: :headbang:

TOtally understand your point. I've seem them 2 times by now..they are good live, but some people just don't like them..... lol even after the live show. But I hope you will enjoy it :)

I'll peek in and give them a listen. They have a few tunes I like but they suffer from repitition. Its like AC/DC of Power Metal. Just about every song your guaranteed to get the galloping doublebass uptempo songs. Nothing wrong with that but I think when almost every song on your albums has that same formula it tends to get boring.....at least to my ears.

Would love to hear them do there covers but I highly doubt it. The Bette Midler cover, and Vanishing Point cover absolutely kick ass.

Jani is definately a great guitar player, I was sad to see him leave ALTARIA.

I am so fucking stoked about this announcement. Communic is good, but Sonata Arctica is absolutely one of the best live bands I have ever seen. They are also one of my favorite power metal bands ever.

YES YES YES YES.

They are better than Stratovarius.
Glen hit a bigtime home run here with this,as this band was on just about everyone's wish list.
Are they a 4 or a 5 slot,and what day?

Don't quite agree with you there about them being better than Stratovarius, in my opinion; however, Sonata did put on on a kickass show when we saw them at Masquerade last February, and am looking forward to seeing them again. :headbang:

I'll peek in and give them a listen. They have a few tunes I like but they suffer from repitition. Its like AC/DC of Power Metal. Just about every song your guaranteed to get the galloping doublebass uptempo songs. Nothing wrong with that but I think when almost every song on your albums has that same formula it tends to get boring.....at least to my ears.

Would love to hear them do there covers but I highly doubt it. The Bette Midler cover, and Vanishing Point cover absolutely kick ass.

Jani is definately a great guitar player, I was sad to see him leave ALTARIA.

Sonata Artica mixes the songs up more than most bands I know. A lot of their songs are easy to recognize because they have clear-distinct melodies. I don't think that their songs tend to sound the same at all. But we have different ears, so its possible =d

Ok as I am not that familiar with these guys what would be the best CD to pick up for a good introduction to the band.
Thanks

I started with Silence and that hooked me. In my opinion there isn't a "weak" release in their catalog. HOWEVER, I would NOT start with Winterheart's Guild. It's a wonderful album, but I don't think that's the best introduction to Sonata Arctica. I would go

Silence
Ecliptica
Reckoning Night
Winterheart's Guild

They also have a best of so you may just want that...but you'd be missing some key songs!!

I'd agree with Chris. Strato does nothing for me while Sonata is awesome both on CD and live. They had a near sellout at the Palladium without even a good opener. Crowd went nuts the entire time with a lot of joining in on songs. They actually seem to appeal to a lot of nonmetal fans in a similar way that Dragonforce does (but not to that extreme).

HELL FUCKING YES!!!!

We have been following the lineup closely so far...this announcement just sealed the deal!!! Due to missing last year due to unforseen events, we will NOT let anything hold us back this time!!!

Bill & I have seen these guys twice now in NYC and both times they absolutely rocked! We interviewed Jani when they were here in January...great guy and awesome guitarist!!!

On that note...we WILL be there for sure!!!! :headbang: :kickass:

HOWEVER, I would NOT start with Winterheart's Guild. It's a wonderful album, but I don't think that's the best introduction to Sonata Arctica.

Hmm that's funny, my first was Winterheart's Guild and I prefer it over Reckoning Night. BUT! White Pearl Black Oceans is truly a mammoth epic IMHO.

So much for the CD budget (again), as if we ever had one! hehe

Thank you Glenn!!! :worship: